Rik Mayall Presents

1235»

Comments

• Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    I think the discussion of our likes and dislikes of what he did really prove what range he actually had. My feeling is too often people just wanted him to "do a Rik" - even in Blackadder. He was clearly a kind and sweet man in reality, so, in Dancing Queen, it was nice to see that reflected on the screen just once.

Yes, although I wasn't really taken by Dancing Queen, there is no doubt that Rik's performance was very strong and not very 'Rik Mayall-like'.

For most he will be remembered as the manic character from The Young Ones, Bottom, Drop Dead Fred etc but really he was an actor of great range capable of subtlety when required.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hughj99 wrote: »
    Even with DVDs some things can be changed. I remember getting my Vexed DVD and was disappointed that all the great songs that featured in the comedy when aired on TV was sadly not on the DVD version, I guess because of some copyright issue. But thankfully at least with the Rik Mayall Presents DVD the music hasn't been messed around with. I love the music choice featured in Dancing Queen - ABBA and Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel, such feelgood uplifting stuff. :)

and they wonder why fans get pissed off and want to go down the bootlegging route.
  • Meesh_RedshawMeesh_Redshaw Posts: 2,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Violent Nation that Rik did for the Discovery Channel?

I found that lastnight whilst searching on YouTube, had never seen it before.

Not normally my type of programme at but Rik makes it brilliant and very interesting because of the way he tells the stories.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Violent Nation that Rik did for the Discovery Channel?

I found that lastnight whilst searching on YouTube, had never seen it before.

Not normally my type of programme at but Rik makes it brilliant and very interesting because of the way he tells the stories.

Just had a look at that. Another reason to miss him.;(
  • Meesh_RedshawMeesh_Redshaw Posts: 2,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Just had a look at that. Another reason to miss him.;(

I know. It's awful. :(
  • hughj99hughj99 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I suppose even though its sad he is gone at least he won't be forgotten by his fans. I like reading about some of encounters fans had with Rik, he sounded like such a nice guy.

Getting back to 'Dancing Queen', I never realised this before but apparently the part of Pandora was originally written for Jane Horrocks. I'm glad they went with Helena instead, nothing against Jane but Helena and Rik were perfect together. I didn't really feel any chemistry when I saw Jane and Rik in 'Bring Me the Head of Mavis Davis'.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to add, if you want to see more of the gentler side of Rik, Clair De Lune is also rather lovely. (Warning- contains Lee Evans!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hughj99 wrote: »
    I suppose even though its sad he is gone at least he won't be forgotten by his fans. I like reading about some of encounters fans had with Rik, he sounded like such a nice guy.

Getting back to 'Dancing Queen', I never realised this before but apparently the part of Pandora was originally written for Jane Horrocks. I'm glad they went with Helena instead, nothing against Jane but Helena and Rik were perfect together. I didn't really feel any chemistry when I saw Jane and Rik in 'Bring Me the Head of Mavis Davis'.

Yeah was watching Bottom last night and didnt really feel like he had gone.