Options

EE: Shirley vs Mick

shandygirl1211shandygirl1211 Posts: 2,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I get that Shirley is believing Dean as he is her son and as it is Linda's word against Dean's it isn't necessarily her picking one son over the other.
I question whether Shirley's dislike of Linda makes it easier for her to seemingly, to some viewers, choose Dean over Mick.
Now I wonder where she would stand if instead of Linda, the 'daughter-in-law' she dislikes, making the accusation but, Nancy, the granddaughter she loves would she be so adamant that Dean's been wrongfully accused?

Comments

• Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she'd ultimately support Dean because she has been so desperate to make amends with him and be the mum she failed to be for years. But she'd possibly do it with a heavier heart because she's more affectionate to Nancy. Part of her motivation for taking Dean's side so quickly is her visceral hatred of Linda.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Shirley and Linda have been pretty amicable to each other for quite some time now and I don't think that her believing Dean is any reflection on her relationship with Linda, however any mother would believe their child especially as the circumstances are all against Linda.

Nancy will believe her mother and I imagine it will hurt Shirley when Nancy does believe Linda but ultimately she will still believe Dean even if Nancy was adamant of his guilt.

Dean gives Shirley his account of what happened, where he portrays himself as the innocent victim, and Shirley continues to be sucked in by him, I wonder whether he will eventually admit to Shirley or whether she will begin to piece it all together after the seed of doubt she has about his innocence next week. I think she will only believe it when she sees the truth about Dean for herself. I hope the spoilers about Dean
    attacking Nancy
    are false. I had thought that it would have been interesting if Dean had attempted to attack Shirley again, in anger, like he did when he came out of prison and Shirley would then realise what he was capable of and therefore believe Linda.

It seems that this story may be continued for quite a few more frustratingly long months. Will there be a trial?
  • Options
    loco_localoco_loca Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shirley is pathetic. Even if we were correct in believing Dean's innocence, she is still being tactless. What matters is the fact that Nick obviously believes his wife, and the options to support Dean that does not involve moving him under his brother's roof.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like it when Shirley suggested Dean moved into the Vic, regarding the rape of course she's going to believe her son as currently there is no evidence to suggest that he is guilty. Most mothers would believe their child until they saw evidence to suggest otherwise.

She hasn't chosen Dean over Mick, she is believing her son over Linda, they are very different.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    She's not picking one son over another....she believes one has been cheated on and the other is being falsely accused of rape.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Of course she isn't choosing one over the other, she believes that Linda is duping both Mick and Dean.
  • Options
    llgxllgx Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I didn't like it when Shirley suggested Dean moved into the Vic, regarding the rape of course she's going to believe her son as currently there is no evidence to suggest that he is guilty. Most mothers would believe their child until they saw evidence to suggest otherwise.

She hasn't chosen Dean over Mick, she is believing her son over Linda, they are very different.

^^ Exactly.