The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Yeah that too and a possible ED clash. Also to those who were saying put ED on for an hour the Tuesday after instead of Thursday, there is live Champions League then too. So the Thursday ep is likely to be 1 hour before Europa League (clashing with EE live) unless they keep some episodes back. And that will eventually of course lead to more EE clashes.

That's going to be very cluttered for what should be a celebratory big week for EastEnders. Ratings might not reach the heights of Corrie's bus crash week.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    BBC1 will be in trouble if Cambridge win the replay.:D

:D. I can imagine the meltdown on the soap forums now if it's Preston v Cambridge on prime time BBC One instead of EE :D. The customary thread has already been started over there and EE fans are not happy. Although I think they could move the match to BBC Two in the unlikely event that Man Utd don't win their replay.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FA Cup 5th Round on BBC One:

Sunday 15th Feb:
    Aston Villa v Leicester - 12:30pm

Monday 16th Feb:
    Preston or Sheffield Utd v Cambridge or Man Utd - 7:45pm

Surprised the BBC have decided to disrupt EE on it's 30th week.

Eastenders could be airing two 1 hour long sessions that week then, as they are apparantly showing 5 episodes that week. On the Thursday, perhaps they could air a regular episode at 7:30pm with the Emmerdale clash and then have a 2nd live episode at 8:30pm (Death in Paradise would hit a series high afterwards). Not airing an episode on the Monday is a bit of a shame as that would probably have rated well, instead we may now end up with an out of slot/day Wednesday episode. Whatever happens it's going to be messy scheduling that week.

EDIT: Actually an 8:30pm episode in the middle of a Liverpool match is not such a good idea, maybe have the hour long on Wednesday to build up the audience over an hour and protect against a low rating out of slot/day half hour episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    BBC1 will be in trouble if Cambridge win the replay.:D

Just imagine! The magic of the cup! :D
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Indian Summers (Channel 4) and The Casual Vacancy (BBC1) both start on Sunday 15th February at 9pm. That's going to be a big drama battle.

That'll be pretty much a month of relentless trailers for Indian Summers by the time it airs! I'm already growing tired of the woman's voice whose speech opens the ad which seems to air every single commercial break.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D. I can imagine the meltdown on the soap forums now if it's Preston v Cambridge on prime time BBC One instead of EE :D. The customary thread has already been started over there and EE fans are not happy. Although I think they could move the match to BBC Two in the unlikely event that Man Utd don't win their replay.

I may have misunderstood something here but isnt the quote unquote magic of the FA cup, that small teams beat much bigger teams, and viewers like to see that?

All I know is that its going to be pretty pointless chanting "come on United!" in the stands, cos that applies to both teams, do they have back up chants?

As far as EE goes, it feels like we have not had one normal week yet this year, still the show has been excellent so that is all that matters.
  • StrangeStrange Posts: 14,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's going to be very cluttered for what should be a celebratory big week for EastEnders. Ratings might not reach the heights of Corrie's bus crash week.
    you think the 30th anniversary live episode of a storyline thats been building up for about 7 months is gonna get less than 8.7 million?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I may have misunderstood something here but isnt the quote unquote magic of the FA cup, that small teams beat much bigger teams, and viewers like to see that?

Yes, but if Man Utd go out, the live game on BBC One will be Preston/Sheff Utd v Cambridge, which won't really interest all that many. From a TV point of view, it's preferable for the big teams to get through to the latter stages so that ratings remain high. EE being displaced for a fixture involving 2 lower league teams would not be ideal. In fact I think the BBC would then move the match to BBC Two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

All I know is that its going to be pretty pointless chanting "come on United!" in the stands, cos that applies to both teams, do they have back up chants?

As far as EE goes, it feels like we have not had one normal week yet this year, still the show has been excellent so that is all that matters.

The magic of the cup is when a lower league team knocks out a big side, the reality is that some big sides generate ratings on name alone. When they go out the ratings dip.

And EastEnders has been excellent but if the ratings aren't strong it hurts the show and BBC1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you think the 30th anniversary live episode of a storyline thats been building up for about 7 months is gonna get less than 8.7 million?

It might. The football might take some viewers from it as would a potential soap clash.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but if Man Utd go out, the live game on BBC One will be Preston/Sheff Utd v Cambridge, which won't really interest all that many. From a TV point of view, it's preferable for the big teams to get through to the latter stages so that ratings remain high. EE being displaced for a fixture involving 2 lower league teams would not be ideal. In fact I think the BBC would then move the match to BBC Two.
    fair enough, I guess the dream is something similar to Man U v Cam U in the final.

anything less than 10 milllion would be viewed as failure of EE live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    That'll be pretty much a month of relentless trailers for Indian Summers by the time it airs! I'm already growing tired of the woman's voice whose speech opens the ad which seems to air every single commercial break.

So the promotion has started already? It could be tough regardless as it clashed with another costume drama in Mr Selfridge. It stands a better chance than Cucumber, which had acres of promotion but was under 2m in overnights.
  • StrangeStrange Posts: 14,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might. The football might take some viewers from it as would a potential soap clash.
    emmerdale won't effect ee its starts at 6.45 so it out of slot and going against eastenders live
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if EE can do somewhere in the region 9m for the anniversary episode that will be considered good. Let's remember ratings are down across the board recently for pretty much everything and EE is one of the few shows to gain year on year.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE is going to suffer. I hope the live episodes pick up enough casual interest to keep it at a respectable level.

Starting at 6.45 isn't ideal for Emmerdale either.

It feels like there was more promo for EE's 25th. Those doof doof ads started on NYD 2010 and seemed to air in every junction.
    Yeah that too and a possible ED clash. Also to those who were saying put ED on for an hour the Tuesday after instead of Thursday, there is live Champions League then too. So the Thursday ep is likely to be 1 hour before Europa League (clashing with EE live) unless they keep some episodes back. And that will eventually of course lead to more EE clashes.
    The decent thing to do would be to hold some episodes back. I'm not a fan of the clashes but I'd sooner see some later in the month than against EastEnders 30th episodes. EastEnders didn't put an episode on against Emmerdale's 40th a couple of years ago and would have had every right to after all the clashes ITV has engineered since the mid noughties.
  • marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think SW figure was dented because it was the weakest story of this series - have to have a good plot in first part to get the viewers back for part two
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can guarantee ITV will schedule Emmerdale up against EastEnders if they have to.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like the 8 mins later start knocked 250k off Count Arthur's hitherto consistent numbers. Shame, it was by far the best episode yet.

It's crying out for a pre watershed slot, finishing at 11.15 is ridiculous. (Quarter to 1 next week in Wales!!)

This reminds me a bit of Harry Enfield's series in 1997 which was on Tuesdays at 9.30, like now a slot Wales often opted out of, and for some reason they couldn't find anywhere else to put it one week - I think there was Crimewatch and football after it - and it ended up at half past midnight. It was also on the cover of the Radio Times that week, which must have baffled Welsh viewers.

Anyway, a couple of people have said it was the best episode yet which baffles me as I thought it was the worst by miles, Arthur came across as totally demented in it. Trying to fix someone's broken leg by himself rather than take them to hospital? That's not Arthur being a lovable eccentric, that's him being a complete moron.
    Ps: am sure my BBC1HD swimming hippos countdown clock when the regional news started said something like 11m30 last night as opposed to the usual 7m odd. So not a vast expansion of the late night news, presumably the main news is now running another couple of minutes, perhaps a bit more weather, trails and then starting on scheduled time rather than 2-3 mins late.

Yeah, the last two nights have suggested that the 10.45 programme is now starting dead at 10.45, as opposed to previously when it would usually start somewhere near 10.40, so it shouldn't make too much difference to audiences, I think.

If Cambridge do beat Man U it would be the biggest story in the FA Cup since, well, ever. I think the chances of them doing so are microscopic, to be honest, and if it does happen Cambridge are a major, major story.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When's the EastEnders live episode? Thursday? They could do:

Tuesday - 7.30 to 8
    Wednesday - 8 to 8.30 (additional episode)
    Thursday - 8 to 8.30 (recorded)
    Thursday - 8.30 to 9 (live)
    Friday - 8 to 8.30

With a switch at half eight like with the Olympic torch relay. That way it avoids Emmerdale and can be hyped up as a special with the midway switch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    merrim01 wrote: »
    You can guarantee ITV will schedule Emmerdale up against EastEnders if they have to.
    Then I hope the BBC run a hour long EastEnders every Thursday for six months as payback. Anniversaries have hitherto been and should be off-limits.
  • SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE said at the NTA's they have six episodes for the anniversary week as they are also having an hour long episode.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    Then I hope the BBC run a hour long EastEnders every Thursday for six months as payback. Anniversaries have hitherto been and should be off-limits.

Out of interest why?

Emmerdale will air 6.45 - 7.45 because of the Europa League. It's up to BBC One whether to move EastEnders to 8 or not. I don't agree with clashes of same genre shows but more than once it's been said on here that it should be embraced and accepted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My EE 30th prediction:

Tuesday 7:30-8pm
    Wednesday 8-9pm
    Thursday 7:30-8pm and 8pm-8:30pm LIVE
    Friday 8-8:30pm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Out of interest why?

Emmerdale will air 6.45 - 7.45 because of the Europa League. It's up to BBC One whether to move EastEnders to 8 or not. I don't agree with clashes of same genre shows but more than once it's been said on here that it should be embraced and accepted.
    I only approve of same genre clashes if they're unavoidable and mostly the soap ones are. ITV has other options besides running Emmerdale for one hour on Tuesdays but that's what they always go for because they know it will dent EastEnders.

Regular episode clashes are one thing but I'm sure they could work around EastEnders in its anniversary week as a gesture of good will. We've never had a soap which is celebrating a major anniversary put in a disadvantageous position like this before. EastEnders clashed with Emmerdale during its 25th week but they had the advantage.

It is better for EastEnders to be in slot as much as possible that week to maximise its ratings potential. :)
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    After finding out Friday's episode probably won't be the flashback episode like most were expecting I had a feeling this would happen. It's still annoying though, as it could effect its ratings and it gives people yet another opportunity to mock EastEnders fans. I can see them going for something like this, depending on Emmerdale*:

Tuesday 17th - 19:30-20:00
    Wednesday 18th - 20:00-21:00
    Thursday 19th - 19:30-20:00 (live episode)
    Thursday 19th - 20:30-21:00 (flashback episode)
    Friday 20th - 20:00-20:30

Surely the producers would have known about this in advance, with each episode having a live element they would have to known the exact dates and times when planning, so they would have known to plan around the football.

*I'm still not convinced they will clash, I think ITV would much rather have a clash the following Tuesday because one, they'd come off better and two, it would limit EE's chances of keeping hold of the anniversary audience.
This discussion has been closed.