Options

Collabro - do something else other than Les Mis!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Pat13Pat13 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one could ever measure up to Philip Quast and I have never dared to watch the film because of Russell Crowe, I know he would ruin the song for all time. I did, however enjoy the Collabro version and hope we see more of them, I just hope they stay together and don't split up like G4 did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    For me, i ddint want them to win, as i thought 'For God sake sing something besides 'Les Mis'
    I also hate it when singers seem to have zero appreciation of the lyrics that they are singing, and give zero light and shade to the performance.
    Anyone who has seen 'Les Mis' performed on stage, or even the anniversary edition at the Royal Albert hall will agree that both of their performances had 0 light and shade, and were sung in such a sing songy way to just make them look stupid.
    I can imagine them singing Bohemian Rhapsody as ' mama just killed a man tra la la la, put a gun against his head tra la la la la, pulled my trigger now he's dead, la la la'
    Absolutely awful, and all of this business of 'we met a month ago' what utter tosh..so considering that you need to get the application forms, which start coming out in may 2013, and submit them...but SOMEHOW you got together a month before their audition...yes, i bet they write defences for Oliver Pistorus too!
    I noticed most acts managed to do something new for the final, but the acts i considered to be 'planted' couldnt!
  • Options
    p1xiep1xie Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange as it may seem, Jason Manford's version of Stars is pretty good too (for a stand-up comedian).
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ]
    Eh?

South pacific
    Sound of music
    Show boat
    Carousel
    West side story
    Oklahoma
    The king and I
    Oliver

I'm sure you could find some good ones in there.

Even I Am What I Am from La Cage Aux Folles.

Has that ever been sung by a straight Man? (Love it by the way).
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adamski94 wrote: »
    Ive never seen it nor do i wish too :/

Well how can you possibly know if you would like it then? I didn't think I would like it, but after seeing the film, I wanted to see the show and after seeing the show, it is probably my favourite show ever.
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who don't know, Stars is a very passionate song. Javert is devoted to bringing criminals to justice and he pledges to God that he will spend the rest of his life trying to catch this criminal who has evaded him.

I just cannot take to this 5-piece who supposedly only just got together before their audition in front of the judges - despite there being judging rounds before that (as someone else has pointed out too). They sing it in such a singing-by-numbers, vanilla way that the song is stripped of all emotion.
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well how can you possibly know if you would like it then? I didn't think I would like it, but after seeing the film, I wanted to see the show and after seeing the show, it is probably my favourite show ever.

I had never been to the theatre before and never even seen a musical, not even on film (never seen Mamma Mia or Grease)
    Bought tickets on a whim for me and my OH to see Les Mis, barely knowing what it was about, and we were blown away. Geronimo Rauch and Tam Mutu were so fantastic I became enamoured with Les Mis. The film was utter tosh in comparison (in my opinion of course!) and I hope to go back to the west end again this summer.

Watch it people! I know it might not be for everyone, and I certainly didn't think it would be anything I would like, but I was pleasantly surprised!
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had never been to the theatre before and never even seen a musical, not even on film (never seen Mamma Mia or Grease)
    Bought tickets on a whim for me and my OH to see Les Mis, barely knowing what it was about, and we were blown away. Geronimo Rauch and Tam Mutu were so fantastic I became enamoured with Les Mis. The film was utter tosh in comparison (in my opinion of course!) and I hope to go back to the west end again this summer.

Watch it people! I know it might not be for everyone, and I certainly didn't think it would be anything I would like, but I was pleasantly surprised!

If you do try and get tickets for Miss Saigon
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    If you do try and get tickets for Miss Saigon

I really fancy going to see Miss Saigon. I take it it must be good if you are recommening it.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who don't know, Stars is a very passionate song. Javert is devoted to bringing criminals to justice and he pledges to God that he will spend the rest of his life trying to catch this criminal who has evaded him.

I just cannot take to this 5-piece who supposedly only just got together before their audition in front of the judges - despite there being judging rounds before that (as someone else has pointed out too). They sing it in such a singing-by-numbers, vanilla way that the song is stripped of all emotion.

That is how I saw their performance and I was shocked they won but, thinking about it, is it any real surprise? In general, rtv talent shows tend to be won by bland, safe, slightly dull vanilla acts so the trend has continued.

I haven't really seen much of the show this year so wanted to watch the final with no real preconceived ideas and make my mind up on the night. From what I saw, they were in my bottom 3 acts and I just don't really get it but, oh well
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    That is how I saw their performance and I was shocked they won but, thinking about it, is it any real surprise? In general, rtv talent shows tend to be won by bland, safe, slightly dull vanilla acts so the trend has continued.

I haven't really seen much of the show this year so wanted to watch the final with no real preconceived ideas and make my mind up on the night. From what I saw, they were in my bottom 3 acts and I just don't really get it but, oh well

Me neither. My Top 3 ended 4th, 5th and 6th. The actual top 2 nearer the bottom than top. At least the other lads band were singing songs and a style that needed you to be a bit jovial. The dark songs of Les Mis do not.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is not meant to be sung like this at all. They had the tone completely wrong in the final, the character is on the road to killing himself.

There is no smiling whatsoever in it. It's the last song in the world you smile through.

It maybe the relief of finally not chasing Jean Valjean so he was showing it that way or sometimes it could be an nervous reaction
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that Collabro won but I was a little disappointed that they sang Stars again. (I don't agree with the criticism that they didin't deliver it with enough angst, they'd look mad, all five of them acting the part.)

I've a feeling that they would've been strongly persuaded to do that song again - remember Simon saying 'That's a hit record'.

Look on YouTube, they appeared at a holiday camp and are certainly capable of a wide repertoire. I was hoping for Allelujah last night but perhaps that's been done to death and so Simon won't get a hit out of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really fancy going to see Miss Saigon. I take it it must be good if you are recommening it.

I saw it back in the day and again last week and if it's one you've never seen it's well worth a watch
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    It really is not meant to be sung like this at all. They had the tone completely wrong in the final, the character is on the road to killing himself.

There is no smiling whatsoever in it. It's the last song in the world you smile through.

It was only the one in the centre who gave a brief smile, the two on either side looked very serious but hey, the original song was sung by one man in the middle of a very serious musical. It is bound to be different when sung by 5 people.
    I enjoyed it for what it was and did not compare it to Michael McCarthy's version which is my favourite of all time actually and I have seen a few Javerts over the years....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In answer to the first question...maybe they should have sung this instead....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJt_KVB7MI
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Basically an inferior Il Divo tribute act just won...

What happened to Il Divo ?
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    What happened to Il Divo ?

Currently on a 5th World Tour
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Currently on a 5th World Tour

And I am going to see them...:):)
  • Options
    09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't take to Collabro at all. They can sing, I won't deny that, but I just didn't find them appealing at all, very dull. I would say it's because it's not my thing, but Lettice and Lucy weren't my type of music and I found that they were brilliant, particularly Lucy. I don't know, there's just something about Collabro I can't put my finger on...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here is another one from Les Mis, his time sung by just one of the group, not sure of his name. Being a Michael Ball fan I did not think anyone could remotely rival his rendition of Empty Chairs, but I must admit I am impressed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_zT3I9yFk
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    I think they are great, but I agree, I wish they had done something else.

I agree - I really like them but not the song they chose - not as a final performance.

I honestly thought those two kids were going to win
  • Options
    Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Philip Quast is the ultimate Javert. He doesn't just sin g it great. He acts it as well.

When these lads sing at the Royal Command Performance I would like to hear the full version.

Philip Quast is amazing, and Collabro do not compare. They did a good job of singing but there was no emotion behind it, and too much backing vocals!
  • Options
    kandinskikandinski Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I especially dont like the guy that sings first,real triple Alpha male thing going on.

He will be the one to make waves in a year or so,when he discovers Cowell has made them sighn a rip off contract!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janey_Bee wrote: »
    Philip Quast is amazing, and Collabro do not compare. They did a good job of singing but there was no emotion behind it, and too much backing vocals!

I still prefer Roger Allam

http://youtu.be/ZYsf0unZS1k