Remember this, loved it. :D

Will record it as the footys on.

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Loved this :)
    Forum Member
    I had a big crush on Matt (the Ben Chaplin one)

He was a rather tragic character; I liked how they were all trapped and frustrated, in different ways.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I had a big crush on Matt (the Ben Chaplin one)

He was a rather tragic character; I liked how they were all trapped and frustrated, in different ways.
    The one where he joined the band is a classic :D
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. But i think, with the exception of miss Merton, anyone watching toinghts repeats who didn't grow up in the 90's will come to the conclusion that all 90's sitcoms are rubbish.

Where's knowing me, knowing you, bottom, red dwarf, the high life, naked video, rab c nesbitt, absolutely fabulous, Mary whitehouse experience, fist of fun, glam metal detectives, the day today..... And that's of the top of my head.
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry. But i think, with the exception of miss Merton, anyone watching toinghts repeats who didn't grow up in the 90's will come to the conclusion that all 90's sitcoms are rubbish.

Where's knowing me, knowing you, bottom, red dwarf, the high life, naked video, rab c nesbitt, absolutely fabulous, Mary whitehouse experience, fist of fun, glam metal detectives, the day today..... And that's of the top of my head.
    Red Dwarf was onlast week on the 80s night.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Looks like there will be 6 episodes aired.
    Looking at the episode guide.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qg5l2/episodes/guide
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The one where Matt can't go out is on of my fave episodes.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember that some people really had something against this show and I could never work out why.

I experienced a massive nostalgia rush watching that episode tonight and wish they would show them all again. When you compare it to many recent sit-coms it was absolutely brilliant, being intelligently written and with great performances all round.

The individual characters were exceptionally well drawn, but there is one thing that made it stand out from any other long running sit-com.

That is when Ben Chaplin left and Neil Stuke took over. In my opinion, this is just about the only instance I can remember when somebody else took over as the main character and managed to make the role their own in a way that was virtually seamless.

I seem sto remember a line right at the end of Neil Stuke's first episode, when he said something along the lines of "don't you just hate it when a new character takes over the lead role in one of your favourite shows?".

I loved that show and I wish it could be repeated in its entirety.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Bleedin thing isn't on Iplayer, neither is Mrs Merton or Gimme, luckily I recorded Gimme.
    Maybe the BBC only has single showing repeat rights, although, I can't think why.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wasn't it specifically 1996 tonight? Anyway, Red Dwarf and Naked Video (at least) were born in the 80s and a few others you mentioned were definitely before '96 unless my memory is playing games...
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I loved this - but it wasnt the same after Ben Chaplin left at the end of series 1.

And it also had Ronnie from Eastenders too!
    Forum Member
    Bleedin thing isn't on Iplayer, neither is Mrs Merton or Gimme, luckily I recorded Gimme.
    Maybe the BBC only has single showing repeat rights, although, I can't think why.

They didn't put the Fawlty Towers episode on iplayer either.

They want us to buy the dvds I suppose.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Neil Stuke was the best Matt!
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it great when it was first shown in the mid 90's, although I was perhaps a wee bit older than the target audience!! Although I thought the Ben Chaplin episodes were a year earlier than 1996 :confused:

Also remember the nod to the character changing that someone mentioned earlier. I'm sure I read at the time that Neil Stuke was who the writers originally wanted for Mathew.

Watched it last night and switched it off. Sometimes the tv shows that you grew up watching and enjoyed at that particular time, do not age well.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much preferrd Neil Stuke than Ben, although Ben was good too.
    I liked this comedy, i've got them all on dvd.
    Loved Gimme Gimme Gimme too.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one where Matt can't go out is on of my fave episodes.

Pretty much every episode then!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The Megapenises, the Skunk Pussies,the Jism Monkeys and the Slime Surfers.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I thought that anus woman was sex on legs at the time, well hot.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Bleedin thing isn't on Iplayer...

I tuned in by accident halfway through and watched it, thought it was good, what I saw. I would have been surprised to see it on iPlayer though due to the sexual comments, e.g. the mention of fancying an unseen "12" year old, not seriously of course (or really 12) but with things as they are these days...
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually went to see an episode of this recorded when Ben Chaplin was still in it. And yes, Samantha Janus (as she was then..) is that good looking in the flesh :)
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See this is now on BBC iplayer, haven't seen this in forever so going to give it a watch now.
    Forum Member
    It's on iPlayer and On Demand. They just took their time making it available.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did like the programme but It annoyed me when they later replaced Matt with someone who looked and acted nothing like the first one. They should of made him a different character all together. Second Matt was less intense that the first one and way more annoying. I just wanted to punch him! Lol
    Forum Member
    danyell wrote: »
    I did like the programme but It annoyed me when they later replaced Matt with someone who looked and acted nothing like the first one. They should of made him a different character all together. Second Matt was less intense that the first one and way more annoying. I just wanted to punch him! Lol

And he was bug ugly in comparison.

Ben Chaplin was soooooo dreamy!

http://www.playbillvault.com/images/photo/B/e/thumbs/w208/Ben-Chaplin.jpg
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    And he was bug ugly in comparison.

Ben Chaplin was soooooo dreamy!

http://www.playbillvault.com/images/photo/B/e/thumbs/w208/Ben-Chaplin.jpg

I know. Ben Chaplin did have film star looks. Neil Stuke had a face that should of belonged to radio! :D