Glee (season 6) US pace. No spoilers

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 2 is back on track IMO.

I'm actually looking forward to tonight's episode, where as last season I was almost dreading each new episode.

Haven't posted in here yet, so hey!

Totally agree with this, I woke up just now and was like yay Glee! which is the entire opposite of last year.

I'm so so happy with Glee again. With the exception of the 100 eps, it hasn't felt this good in years. It's got that glee charm back. Some of the one liners have been amazing
    - Quinn's comments about always singing Katy Perry and Showtunes, Tina's just sit and smile like I did for three years and all the other ones that really make fun of the show itself.

Big thing annoying me is Kurt. He's never been my favourite, or even that liked by me but he's really really grating on me. Santana's rant had me just about jumping for joy just to see him being taken down a peg. He messed up with Blaine, it's not their fault and he was really out of line. I mean yeah he cares about them, but calling them out like that in front of everyone was so wrong, and labeling his mistakes as something everyone else would do. But like I say I just really don't like him.

Quinn being back was, of course, my highlight. I really can't help but think she lights up every scene she's in. I really hope she's back for more, though I can't imagine she won't be back for the end. Next week will be interesting to see how it gets on without all the alumni being around and mainly just the newbies.

So far, season 6 is fixing up what I hated in 4&5!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't posted in here yet, so hey!

Totally agree with this, I woke up just now and was like yay Glee! which is the entire opposite of last year.

I'm so so happy with Glee again. With the exception of the 100 eps, it hasn't felt this good in years. It's got that glee charm back. Some of the one liners have been amazing
    - Quinn's comments about always singing Katy Perry and Showtunes, Tina's just sit and smile like I did for three years and all the other ones that really make fun of the show itself.

Big thing annoying me is Kurt. He's never been my favourite, or even that liked by me but he's really really grating on me. Santana's rant had me just about jumping for joy just to see him being taken down a peg. He messed up with Blaine, it's not their fault and he was really out of line. I mean yeah he cares about them, but calling them out like that in front of everyone was so wrong, and labeling his mistakes as something everyone else would do. But like I say I just really don't like him.

Quinn being back was, of course, my highlight. I really can't help but think she lights up every scene she's in. I really hope she's back for more, though I can't imagine she won't be back for the end. Next week will be interesting to see how it gets on without all the alumni being around and mainly just the newbies.

So far, season 6 is fixing up what I hated in 4&5!

Totally agree with you too.

Episode 3 was such a great episode. It had it all.

Great seeing Becky get a story line again, still abusing people for no reason. :) Loved the story line about have a non downs boyfriend. Sue's face when she saw him. :)

Glad also they are using Tina. As you say, her line about just sitting and smiling was great and so true.

The songs were great and fitted well with the story.

Agree about Kurt being annoying just loved seeing Santana rip him a new one. Everything she said was so true.

Coach Beiste's storyline is good too and hopefully will mean Wade will be back.

It was also good having the old team still back. It is great having Quinn in the show, I agree she lights up the scenes she's in.

I don't know what they are doing this season compared to the last 2 seasons, it is like they were not trying and took the fans for granted.

I hope they can keep this up for the rest of the season.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another good one. They look like they might go out in style if they can keep this up.

Loved Brittney and Santana (although Naya Rivera could stand to eat a sandwich or two), and look forward to their wedding.

Did I see a spark between Dalton Girl and Boy Twin?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Another good one. They look like they might go out in style if they can keep this up.

Loved Brittney and Santana (although Naya Rivera could stand to eat a sandwich or two), and look forward to their wedding.

Did I see a spark between Dalton Girl and Boy Twin?

Yes I thought there was a spark too when they sang together. Either that or very good acting (as their characters not in real life I mean).
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Not a bad episode but Beiste's storyline has literally come out of nowhere. I want to keep an open mind but some actual foreshadowing really would've helped make this storyline more plausible.

I think Spencer has a thing for Sam. He seemed a little too eager for Sam to take over as coach.

Santana's insulting Kurt after he kind of ruined the proposal with her and Brittany was pretty funny actually. I also liked that she called out Becky too.

I don't like Becky as a character. It's great that the guy she's dating is genuinely into her but she's still an unpleasant person though.

Sue was probably her best in this episode as well.

Still not really feeling Blaine and Karofsky as a couple. Kurt was fairly annoying this week as well.

Brittany had some great moments in this episode too.

Liked the use of Alanis Morissette and Carole King's music for a mash up. One of the more imaginative ideas as well. Points to the Quinn/Tina and Mason/Jane duets though.

Rachel is actually a pretty decent teacher too. Another good episode for her, 7/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I think Spencer has a thing for Sam. He seemed a little too eager for Sam to take over as coach.

I thought Spencer was trying to get Sam made Coach, because Sam was more likely to make him a Quarterback, than Coach Beiste would have.
    Forum Member
    I thought Spencer was trying to get Sam made Coach, because Sam was more likely to make him a Quarterback, than Coach Beiste would have.

Well that too.:D
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely loved that episode, one of the best for a long time and a definite return to form. Having the original New Directions (minus Mike, Artie and (everyone's forgotten about him) Matt), around definitely perks up the show but I liked New Directions v2 as well so it would have been nice to still have them around but with better storylines.

The mash up of Carole King and Alanis Morissette was fantastic and inspired, loved every single song last night, again something I've not been able to say for a while about Glee's music choices during Season Five.

Santana's tirade at Kurt was a return to form and had me laughing as she was back to snark but without the cruelty and meanness that had been evidenced in her character during the past couple of seasons.
    Loved Rachel and Kurt's mini-spats and their realisation that they can work together. Also thought Dot-Marie Jones played it out of the park as usual. Her scenes with Sue and Sam were beautifully done. Not sure I agree with a previous poster about it being out of the blue, I think since Coach Beiste's character was introduced there's been plenty about her being a "toyboy" or "mannish" and whether or not she was a lesbian or not. It's another example of Glee having the balls to tackle those gender questions other shows ignore. Yes they might get a bit preachy but I'd rather see them attempt it than pretend everything's white heterosexual like often happens with mainstream TV.

Overall it was an 8/10 for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was just rewatching EP3 (something I didn't do with S5) and was thinking that Becky could do with her own spin off show.

I'd love to see her being bitchy with people all the time. Perhaps even see how her relationship with wots his name goes on. As long as long as it was well written I think it would be a hit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Santana was DEAD right with what she said to Kurt - has he always been this annoying?
    And where on EARTH has this Coach Bieste storyline come from? I can't help but feel Glee are trying to squeeze one last issue in, because OITNB and everyone else are doing really well representing transgender characters...are they just trying to pick up awards? Also, 13 episodes is nowhere near long enough to give this the justice it deserves. Maybe I should see it all before I judge but I'm calling it now.
    Cancer would have been a better storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Santana was DEAD right with what she said to Kurt - has he always been this annoying?
    And where on EARTH has this Coach Bieste storyline come from? I can't help but feel Glee are trying to squeeze one last issue in, because OITNB and everyone else are doing really well representing transgender characters...are they just trying to pick up awards? Also, 13 episodes is nowhere near long enough to give this the justice it deserves. Maybe I should see it all before I judge but I'm calling it now.
    Cancer would have been a better storyline.

While I agree it's totally come out of nowhere and I'm not a. Huge fan of the prospect of it, I do think it's perfectly doable in the remaining episodes. Firstly, going by glee they often forget they're doinng something like this so at least this way the few episodes means they probably won't have time to. Secondly, if you take the example of OITNB it was only centre stage for the characters episode. Yes she's in the background at other times of course, but telling her story was only dedicated to one (maybe two, been a while since I watched it!) episode. I think with what they've got and as Beiste is only a supporting character, the time they've got is totally long enough to not draw it out too much, but also not rush it!

Edit: it is centric to two OITNB episodes, but one of them is very focused on the after, and in the timescale glee has, even if it did have a full series run, they won't be looking at covering that far. They'd need multiple seasons for that imo! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they really wanted to do a Gender change storyline with Unique, but she was too young to do it with now, and the series has been shortened so they can't wait for her to get older.

So instead they've done it with Coach Beiste.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they really wanted to do a Gender change storyline with Unique, but she was too young to do it with now, and the series has been shortened so they can't wait for her to get older.

No I think they've chosen to show a female to male transition as it's more often than not the other way round in both TV and film mediums. Most transgender stories are centred around males identifying as female so using Shannon Beiste gives a new perspective.

I also disagree that it's out of the blue. Shannon's appearance as a "butch looking woman" have been mentioned previously on the show, her falling for Coop and lettiing him treat her like crap because he was the only man to "like her for her", falling for Will when he kissed her and showed her kindness, being asked if she was a lesbian because of her looks and her concerns about wanting to be seen as a "beautiful woman" etc could easily be linked in to a gender dysphoria storyline.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member

Either way, it looks like yet another plot idea Ryan Murphy's pulled out of his ass and which should be promptly reinserted, sideways if possible. For this to have any credibility, we need to acquire complete amnesia about just everything we know or who have seen of Shannon. As this includes the series 2 arc dealing with her introduction, loneliness and feelings of inadequacy about her attractiveness to men, and particularly her fight for Cooter and its aftermath of abuse in S3, one of post Series 1/2 Glee's few well-written plots, I'd rather pass on this thanks very much. Dot Marie deserves better,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    No I think they've chosen to show a female to male transition as it's more often than not the other way round in both TV and film mediums. Most transgender stories are centred around males identifying as female so using Shannon Beiste gives a new perspective.

I also disagree that it's out of the blue. Shannon's appearance as a "butch looking woman" have been mentioned previously on the show, her falling for Coop and lettiing him treat her like crap because he was the only man to "like her for her", falling for Will when he kissed her and showed her kindness, being asked if she was a lesbian because of her looks and her concerns about wanting to be seen as a "beautiful woman" etc could easily be linked in to a gender dysphoria storyline.

I agree there have been fewer F2M gender change storylines but that still doesn't mean that they might have considered Unique's change first and then gone with Beiste.

But I do think it is good that Unique doesn't have to change gender as I think it is good that someone can be both genders if they want to be.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not great this week. Too much silly evil Sue stuff and WAAAAAAY too much idiot Sam stuff.

Reasonable songs, but I'd like to have heard the new kids singing. 2 VA songs? Surely one would have sufficed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved it, very OTT and Glee of old and at its best.

Not taking itself too seriously as it has done for the last 2 seasons. Although very self conscious with the Klaine stuff and Sue's Hurt Locker.

Loved Sam being hypnotised so easily. It was so obviously tongue in cheek.

Loved the drone being use, again OTT. And Becky in a Lobster suit dancing to Rock Lobster. The VAs were on top of their game and great seeing Will 'Whip It' to Miss Berry.

Sue putting a bear cub in Blaine and Karofsky's flat, and inviting all of Karofshy's exes to their date, who all looked very similar.

The little snippet into Brad's life and his photos of feet.

It is the little touches like that that made Glee so much fun in the past and that they lost last season.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was so many one liners that poke fun at the show and it's past and that's why I love this show. Can't believe there's only 9 episodes left :(
    Forum Member
    That was pretty dreadful actually.

Once upon a time, maybe Sue's loony antics and perceived slights over nothing might have been amusing but it was a long time ago and dedicated a two parter to it is just flatout insanity.

Sabotaging Will is one thing but using Sam to toy with Rachel is just pathetic too.

Plus, when the hell did Sue ever give two ¤¤¤¤s about Klaine? Her bizarre attempts of getting them back together were idiotic at best and irritating at worst.

At least Kurt and Blaine were mature in the episode. Karofshy had some moments too.

Not really feeling Vocal Adrenaline as an actual threat either, 5/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Plus, when the hell did Sue ever give two ¤¤¤¤s about Klaine? Her bizarre attempts of getting them back together were idiotic at best and irritating at worst.

It was meta stuff, she was voicing the thoughts of the fans. rolleyes.
    And she has cared about 'Porcelain' since Karosky bullied him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I was very miffed with this episode.
    Best bits: Becky as Rock Lobster, A Thousand Miles, and the cute bear cub.
    Worst bits: Silly Sue stuff, VA's performance (no singing, it was actually shocking), Silly Sam (and I don't like Sam and Rachel as a couple). I also thought his "I'm still in love with Mercedes@ was so arrogant...she's still in love with Finn, ass!
    I have no idea where Rachel's gonna get 8 more members either...
  • A_SmurfA_Smurf Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I knew this episode was never going to be the best episode of the season by far so far, but I found it entertaining. Sure it was scattered with meta jokes, but they rang true in a lot of cases, especially Sue's lengthy rant to Will (the band members are unsung geniuses)! It addressed the dropping of storylines, characters, changing of personality traits in a lot of characters and fan shipping of characters either loved or hated. The reviewers and general audience were never going to enjoy it as an episode, so let's just take it as an entertaining/mediocre filler episode (there was always going to be a filler episode even in a 13 ep season) and move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A_Smurf wrote: »
    I knew this episode was never going to be the best episode of the season by far so far, but I found it entertaining. Sure it was scattered with meta jokes, but they rang true in a lot of cases, especially Sue's lengthy rant to Will (the band members are unsung geniuses)! It addressed the dropping of storylines, characters, changing of personality traits in a lot of characters and fan shipping of characters either loved or hated. The reviewers and general audience were never going to enjoy it as an episode, so let's just take it as an entertaining/mediocre filler episode (there was always going to be a filler episode even in a 13 ep season) and move on.

I liked the way she had a photo in her Hurt Locker of the Old NDs with a 'Missing' pointer to Matt. :)
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good episode up until the last 5 minutes. Cringe. :D
  • revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kept rewinding the bear scene just to hear Karofsky screaming like a little girl :D