Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mumbles26 wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever met Stephen Hendry? Please tell me he's lovely in real life!!

Um. I met him. I am not of a Stephen Hendry persuasion, but Creepy Odd Guy who was talking to me at the stage door grabbed my camera and made Stephen pose with me:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginger_elanor/2446511649/
    He was not impressed.
    Meoqui wrote: »
    I will be very tempted!! Can you go in the building without a ticket? And mull around? Or is that tickets only?
    Saturday is a possibility but my 11 year old competes all day Sunday so that day is out!
    I've wanted to go since I was 11. So might pop over for a glimpse. Maybe next year if my daughter is at the British Champs again at the same time as the snooker I will for once get organised and PLAN!!! So yeah don't you dare retire yet Stephen H!! Incase I don't make it there this year.
    Just found some tickets for the final and they are well into 3 figures per ticket :eek:

You can go into the building to the box office and the downstairs loo, and the trophy display (they've got all the big trophies - covered in fingerprints when I was last there) and there is usually someone milling about that's worth seeing. And of course you can always go into the Cue Zone in the Winter Gardens and gaze at Hazel and Ken. But it's very easy to spot players, you don't have to hang around long.
  • NWScotsNWScots Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    Well what a classic match between Carter & Trump - I have never really liked Carter that much but today I was rooting for him as he was on the end of some terrible run of the ball all match and when you factor in that every time Trump had a crack at them he inevitably managed to leave them safe.

Once Carter started turning the screw though Trump was "gone" and I don't recall seeing such a determined and sustained effort than Carter today - he was a man on a mission.

Trump will need to start learning some manners though and you can tell that quite a lot on the snooker circuit really cannot stand him ... this defeat will either make him or break him I reckon and could be the best thing that happened to him in the long run.

It's a weird one as far as I can see. I've not heard anyone say anything bad as such but there does seem to be an undercurrent rumbling along. Ali Carter has said a couple of times on twitter tonight that there's no needle between the two of them and that Judd's a "great kid". Make of that what you will. I have to admit that Judd does seem to get the run of the ball quite a lot. It was almost Selby-esque at some points ;)
    mumbles26 wrote: »
    Thanks. Just told hubby the TV is out of bounds for the next few days so I can cheer my beloved Stephen H on.

It's times like this I'm glad I live alone and have sole control over the remote control :D
    Elanor wrote: »
    Yes, Neil's my favourite, although I also really like Ali, and I like Ronnie when he's on form, and Matthew Stevens always used to be favourite of mine back in the day. I can't get out of work in the day though, we're really really busy. I may try Wednesday evening if the matches are looking good. And there's the weekend I suppose.

Surely there are some weekend tickets with your name on them?! I'll be supporting Ronnie against Neil I'm afraid. I would normally support Maguire all the way but against Stephen it's not so simple. I'll have quite a quandry if by some miracle it's an O Sullivan v Hendry final!
    Principle wrote: »
    Is there a video anywhere of Ali Carter sarcastically clapping?

Not yet but as Darren pointed out earlier the whole programme should be on iplayer later. I can't remember what stage it happened though so you might have a bit of a trawl!
  • MeoquiMeoqui Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can go into the building to the box office and the downstairs loo, and the trophy display (they've got all the big trophies - covered in fingerprints when I was last there) and there is usually someone milling about that's worth seeing. And of course you can always go into the Cue Zone in the Winter Gardens and gaze at Hazel and Ken. But it's very easy to spot players, you don't have to hang around long.

OK, thank you! I think I best not tell my daughter this plan. She's already unimpressed with the amount I watch it on TV ;) I will bring her round slowly! She actually watched some with me earlier AND asked questions :cool: Result :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NWScots wrote: »
    Surely there are some weekend tickets with your name on them?! I'll be supporting Ronnie against Neil I'm afraid. I would normally support Maguire all the way but against Stephen it's not so simple. I'll have quite a quandry if by some miracle it's an O Sullivan v Hendry final!

Not yet! There's nothing available yet, but it's always possible that they'll become available later. And I've got into the semi final morning and afternoon sessions by queueing before, so depending who's playing, I'll go and do that.

I don't dislike Ronnie, and against many players I would be supporting him. The only player I dislike out of the 8 left is Maguire, and I'd rather not pay to go and watch him, not with the price of tickets now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, thank you! I think I best not tell my daughter this plan. She's already unimpressed with the amount I watch it on TV ;) I will bring her round slowly! She actually watched some with me earlier AND asked questions :cool: Result :cool:

Send her off to the shops while you have an hour snooker spotting!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Send her off to the shops while you have an hour snooker spotting!

She's all freckles. ginger, cutey and 11. If I snooker spot I am taking her! She reels anyone in with her smile she will come in MOST handy ;)

That £200 BetFred final sessions hospitality package is looking more and more tempting. If by some wonderful miracle it was a Stephen H & Ronnie final I may need to stay in Sheffield an extra day :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There you go:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17900526

I don't think that was particularly sarcastic. I thought it seemed quite good humoured actually.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to Carter, but why must every opponent comment on Trump's style after the match?

Either they are threatened by him or they don't like him personally. Seems more like the former than the latter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet! There's nothing available yet, but it's always possible that they'll become available later. And I've got into the semi final morning and afternoon sessions by queueing before, so depending who's playing, I'll go and do that.

I don't dislike Ronnie, and against many players I would be supporting him. The only player I dislike out of the 8 left is Maguire, and I'd rather not pay to go and watch him, not with the price of tickets now.

Aww, poor Maguire. I feel sad when I read your story about him being horrible to a wee boy because I like him. However, I will make a confession and admit that part of the reason is because his dark, thug look "appeals" to me! :o I'll stop now before I scare all the men off the thread by making it too girly :D
    She's all freckles. ginger, cutey and 11. If I snooker spot I am taking her! She reels anyone in with her smile she will come in MOST handy ;)

That £200 BetFred final sessions hospitality package is looking more and more tempting. If by some wonderful miracle it was a Stephen H & Ronnie final I may need to stay in Sheffield an extra day :D

Blimey, that might be the first time I've been jealous of someone with kids - she does sound very handy :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There you go:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17900526

I don't think that was particularly sarcastic. I thought it seemed quite good humoured actually.

I thought so at first too but his post match comments made me think twice about it. Who knows? It's done now anyway and I hope it's a good match against Jones tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NWScots wrote: »
    Blimey, that might be the first time I've been jealous of someone with kids - she does sound very handy :D

She'd be priceless for sure!

Righto guys and gals, I'm off to bed. That way I can get up early enough to do school runs and housework before 10am (well ok some of the housework?!) So I can vegitate again in front of the TV at 10 am :D I shall have a Stephen, followed by Ronnie, followed by Stephen day. And little else will get done!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'd be priceless for sure!

Righto guys and gals, I'm off to bed. That way I can get up early enough to do school runs and housework before 10am (well ok some of the housework?!) So I can vegitate again in front of the TV at 10 am :D I shall have a Stephen, followed by Ronnie, followed by Stephen day. And little else will get done!

That sounds like a perfect day to me. I'm off to bed soon too as I have a hairdresser appointment early tomorrow. Oh it's a hard life being on holiday...!
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    At the risk of lots of snooker fans hating me... does anyone know what's the point of the prediction snooker thread? Seems utterly pointless! People post randoms scores for each round!

Weird. Oh well, if it keeps 'em happy. :D
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the BBC would find a better presenter than Hazel Irvine. She spoils the coverage for me.

Agreed she is very poor (at presenting) but is probably very rich from all the BBC snooker and golf cash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else find John Virgos commentary utterly aggravating? I've reached the point now where I either have to mute him or watch the other match if there's one on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    At the risk of lots of snooker fans hating me... does anyone know what's the point of the prediction snooker thread? Seems utterly pointless! People post randoms scores for each round!

Well you get to predict scores and then feel that you have pyschic powers and are one step closer to becoming the new Mystic Meg, if you get any of them right:D. Well that's what I presume is why people take part as I have missed my chance to participate for the last three years as you can only take part if you start posting before the start of the championships:(.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    Hells Bells, playing pot, pot, pot in a game of snooker. Whatever next!

Yeah and it lost him the match.

And to quote Ken Doherty who knows more than either of us do ever will - the game is called SNOOKER for a reason.

Is there any need for such a sarcastic post ?

Your credibility rating just took a massive dive by resorting to that level.
  • merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. In snooker you pot balls to score points and the opponent that manages to knock more balls in, usually wins.

When there is a chance that a snooker is required for the other opponant to win, they will try for a snooker which if successful will achieve an additional 4 points and help the losing opponant to score points (I think we all know this)

Judd needed 4 snookers to be in for a chance to win the game. He acieved 3. So to say that he thinks the game is called potting balls and not snooker is untrue. He has the skill. No one has said Ronnie is a bad player because he missed 10 snookers, he's not. He went on to win that frame.
    I really do not understand the attitudes towards Judd. In my opinion he is the future of snooker. I used to watch it, but Judd and Ronnie made me really interested. - just think credit where credit's due. Judd played 3 out of 4 snookers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. In snooker you pot balls to score points and the opponent that manages to knock more balls in, usually wins.

When there is a chance that a snooker is required for the other opponant to win, they will try for a snooker which if successful will achieve an additional 4 points and help the losing opponant to score points (I think we all know this)

Judd needed 4 snookers to be in for a chance to win the game. He acieved 3. So to say that he thinks the game is called potting balls and not snooker is untrue. He has the skill. No one has said Ronnie is a bad player because he missed 10 snookers, he's not. He went on to win that frame.
    I really do not understand the attitudes towards Judd. In my opinion he is the future of snooker. I used to watch it, but Judd and Ronnie made me really interested. - just think credit where credit's due. Judd played 3 out of 4 snookers.

I dont think its aimed at that last frame, just his general attitude of always thinking attackingly rather than playing safe at times too. That could have cost him the match. If he gets that right he will be a world beater
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What an ignorant post, you should have looked at the thread properly before spouting off, but I'll explain anyway. You get points for predicting the right winner and double for getting the frame score right, plus there are supplementary bonus questions to boost your score. These are all collated and produced as a league table with the person attaining the most points as the winner. So it's not utterly pointless or weird at all, you've made a fool of yourself saying that.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 90's ,I used to run snooker tournaments and had lots of the top players at the time entering. Ali Carter used to enter. He was under the guidance of Brian Morgan (a then top 16 player himself)who used to enthuse about him and how he had the talent to become a top 16 player as well.
    I always found Ali to be polite and he behaved with very good manners(unlike some of the other well known names that spent all their off-table time on the fruit /poker machine)
    I think that until you've been in such a tense pressurised situation as Carter and Judd were yesterday, you would struggle to understand how amazing it is that these players keep it together. Although Judd didn't help himself by not getting out of his seat to shake Ali's hand, it's easier on reflection to realise how dis-appointed he must have been feeling. Although a child prodigy, he's still very young to have his every move/emotion to be analysed by the 'experts' and millions watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    In the 90's ,I used to run snooker tournaments and had lots of the top players at the time entering. Ali Carter used to enter. He was under the guidance of Brian Morgan (a then top 16 player himself)who used to enthuse about him and how he had the talent to become a top 16 player as well.
    I always found Ali to be polite and he behaved with very good manners(unlike some of the other well known names that spent all their off-table time on the fruit /poker machine)
    I think that until you've been in such a tense pressurised situation as Carter and Judd were yesterday, you would struggle to understand how amazing it is that these players keep it together. Although Judd didn't help himself by not getting out of his seat to shake Ali's hand, it's easier on reflection to realise how dis-appointed he must have been feeling. Although a child prodigy, he's still very young to have his every move/emotion to be analysed by the 'experts' and millions watching.

Brian Morgan, now there is a name from the past
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its a bit of fun and keeps interest in the comp. Does no harm whatsoever and doesnt deserve your ridicule
  • MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah and it lost him the match.

And to quote Ken Doherty who knows more than either of us do ever will - the game is called SNOOKER for a reason.

Is there any need for such a sarcastic post ?

Your credibility rating just took a massive dive by resorting to that level.

Oh well. I'm sure I can live with that. I didn't realise I had any credibility in the first place, nor that it was being rated
  • MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think its aimed at that last frame, just his general attitude of always thinking attackingly rather than playing safe at times too. That could have cost him the match. If he gets that right he will be a world beater

He's no different to how Hendry was at his age. It didn't do him any harm
This discussion has been closed.