Options

Triple Hits - Adult CHR comes to the UK

FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,652
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Very impressed with the music output on the new local DAB-only Triple Hits.

Hear it here: http://lsn.to/TPH

When the press release described it as a bridging station between Radio 1 & 2, I had in mind what I thought the music programming should be and it hasn't disappointed. New chart music from credible acts and singer/songwriters (no cringey, ear bleeding teen-pop here) punctuated with recurrent "21st Century hits" (think Maroon 5, Kaisers) and the occasional "Old skool anthem" (Oasis, Outkast, Republica) all at a very bearable rotation with hot imaging.

It's almost like a hark back to ILR of the early 90s and is a format that is steadily gaining traction elsewhere around the world (Fresh FM NYC, MyFM L.A., KISS 1065 Sydney).

For me it's a much-needed fresh approach and if this had a bigger reach than a niche [doomed] broadcast format in Somerset it would have the potential to get very popular with the 25-45 demo.

Comments

• Options
    simon243simon243 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the type of format Bauer should be trying on the Place 1 stations to differentiate themselves from Capital & Heart. MyFM in LA is a great station although its rotations are quite tight, as is standard in the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Glad you're enjoying it - I run the music side of things, and it's been loads of fun getting it all together. I've been working on DAB stations since DAB launched exactly 15 years ago, when the £800 radios really were niche, but thankfully digital is now looking more like the new mainstream. Hope you enjoy the tunes, and let me know if there's anything you want to hear in our Triple Stacks!
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Wonder if this will come to S Hants/Bournemouth especially since Celador's Fire was removed from Hants.
  • Options
    gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad you're enjoying it - I run the music side of things, and it's been loads of fun getting it all together. I've been working on DAB stations since DAB launched exactly 15 years ago, when the £800 radios really were niche, but thankfully digital is now looking more like the new mainstream. Hope you enjoy the tunes, and let me know if there's anything you want to hear in our Triple Stacks!

Are there any plans to launch on dab in Bristol?
  • Options
    andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When will the website launch?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hello ajm and gwrbristol - I don't know where and when we might end up in new areas. Bristol gets some coverage already, but it's very dependent on local geography - a few high, clear areas might get it. Adding to another mux is a whole different game.

Andy.saunders - can't say about the website, either, sorry. Just music and shows to enjoy for now, more to come...
  • Options
    IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to see Bern Leckie involved with this. He is one of the people who was behind Chill before Global killed it off. Bern knows how to program music so hopefully this station will go from strength to strength.
  • Options
    andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Bern, I workef with Gareth on quite a few RSL's so great that he has launched Triple Hits.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting music mix. Who is actually behind this? Is it a multiplex-filler, or is it paying its own way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply Bern. Reassuring to hear that it's someone of your calibre behind the music. Here's hoping it takes off and gets rolled out to a wider audience.

Here's my Triple Stack request: :)
    1. Miike Snow - Animal (Punks Jump Up Mix)
    2. Edward Maya - Stereo Love
    3. The Twang - Either Way
  • Options
    PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Hear it here: http://lsn.to/TPH

Is that link broken, or is it just me?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »
    Is that link broken, or is it just me?

For me, clicking on the link opened a Radiofeeds page. I then had to click on the 28k stereo button, copy the URL from it and paste that into iTunes, which plays the stream fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, here's the direct URL: http://s4.xrad.io:8004/listen.pls

It's actually 64kbps aac+ and sounds pretty decent.
  • Options
    jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Ignite wrote: »
    Great to see Bern Leckie involved with this. He is one of the people who was behind Chill before Global killed it off. Bern knows how to program music so hopefully this station will go from strength to strength.

The listening figures are still very impressive online and by the responses on social media to Chill, plenty of life is left.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The listening figures are still very impressive online and by the responses on social media to Chill, plenty of life is left.

Ryan, what are the listening figures for Chill?

Back on topic - I've been listening to Triple Hits for the last two hours and are really enjoying it. I'm 35 and I think it's pitched at someone like me who wants a mix of current hits (Capital is good for a hit fix but leaves out guitar stuff mainly for format reasons) but with 90s and 00s tracks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Yes, here's the direct URL: http://s4.xrad.io:8004/listen.pls

It's actually 64kbps aac+ and sounds pretty decent.

Thanks for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stream does sound good. Interesting mix of music (Royal Bloods and Kula Shaker!) and the sound has a decent bit of grunt. Good presentation too.

Me likey!
  • Options
    CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might say 64 on Shoutcast but VLC says it's 28 and imho sounds it. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie wrote: »
    Might say 64 on Shoutcast but VLC says it's 28 and imho sounds it. ;-)

Maybe my ears aren't what they used to be, but I'm listening on a decent pair of headphones, and it doesn't sound 28k to me.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    For me, clicking on the link opened a Radiofeeds page. I then had to click on the 28k stereo button, copy the URL from it and paste that into iTunes, which plays the stream fine.
    What happens when you just left-click on the button?
    I'm thinking that, perhaps, you haven't set up iTunes as the media handler on your computer.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    The bitrate is variable and drifts between 25k and 32k.
    As Charlie says, ignore what SHOUTcast reports! :)
  • Options
    CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »
    Maybe my ears aren't what they used to be, but I'm listening on a decent pair of headphones, and it doesn't sound 28k to me.

Yes, I think you are right, in Mplayer after a couple of seconds play it seems to change up a gear to 64k and sounds good. I'm sure that didn't happen a couple of days ago. :D
    Yet through an old Logik Radio into a Denon system it sounds rubbish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Allan Lake was doing breakfast on Triple Hits, but he's on at the moment.

Is he doing a double shift, or is breakfast being done by someone else/no one?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    What happens when you just left-click on the button?
    I'm thinking that, perhaps, you haven't set up iTunes as the media handler on your computer.

It opens a web page with a player in, but the player just says "loading". (Mac OS X 10.9.5, Safari 7.1, iTunes 11.4)