Options

Clarkson confirms The Stig is sacked from Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously Ben Collins effectively resigned when he wrote his book, you can't sack someone who has walked away.

The whole Top Gear team have come away from this rather badly harmed. They should have been totally indifferent to his outing himself but they seem so concerned about a total irelevancy.

As for breach of contract, it was a mistake to include such a secrecy requirement in the contract in the first place.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Obviously Ben Collins effectively resigned when he wrote his book, you can't sack someone who has walked away.
    You can if he is still in contract or has a contract of employment like most people.
    The whole Top Gear team have come away from this rather badly harmed.
    How have they been harmed?
    They should have been totally indifferent to his outing himself but they seem so concerned about a total irelevancy.
    That has been discussed at great length on a couple of threads on these forums - but it's one thing what WE the viewers think, it's another thing what the various creative elements and presenters on the programme itself think.
    As for breach of contract, it was a mistake to include such a secrecy requirement in the contract in the first place.
    Why was it a mistake to attempt to ensure that a supposedly secret element of the programme remains ... erm, a secret?
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should replace him with a hot female Stig - dressed in pink pvc thigh high boots with a sexy pink corset and pink helmet :D

That should hold the petolheads interests until the 'storm' blows over.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the reports of his wage are true and that he didn't get a cut from the stig merchandising while the other 3 millionaires did, then I don't blame him. I cant recall all this hype when Perry McCarthy wrote his book, this smacks more of clever marketing for the Top Gear brand to be honest.
  • Options
    samandmaisamandmai Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y'know, our town's W.H.Smith (unfortunately for us, the only bookstore around these parts) used to have a nice little film and TV section before the Top Gear phenomenon came along - now what does it have? A dedicated Top Gear section !!! :mad:Three shelves given over to the literary 'masterpieces' of Clarkson's 'libertarian' (i.e reactionary right-wing) views and his cohorts' minor efforts, and so the film section is reduced by half. The funny thing is, Smith's don't seem to be selling much from this section - and the reason why? Because they're all available on Amazon for 1p, and even they can't shift them, because they're all shite !!!
  • Options
    FuzzyDunlop82FuzzyDunlop82 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    They could get Anthony Davidson (R5's Grand Prix co-anchor) to be a new coloured Stig, I am sure there are plenty of sub-F1 drivers out there ready and willing to fill the Alpinestar boots...

Love the idea of a pink female Stig...maybe the German driver Sabine Schmitz or Suzi Perry...
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBTweets wrote: »
    They should replace him with a hot female Stig - dressed in pink pvc thigh high boots with a sexy pink corset and pink helmet :D

Danica Patrick please!!! :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they really should do is cast two new Stigs. Black and white, and have them compete against each other for the title of "The Real Stig"
    davidseven wrote: »
    I cant recall all this hype when Perry McCarthy wrote his book, this smacks more of clever marketing for the Top Gear brand to be honest.

Big difference between 2 series in, and 15!
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RED_ wrote: »
    his teeth in that picture are disgusting, heavy smoker isn't he?

OMG :eek: they do look awful! I hope he had just finished eating toffe pudding or something when that picture was taken!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant recall all this hype when Perry McCarthy wrote his book, this smacks more of clever marketing for the Top Gear brand to be honest.

Black Stig only appeared in two series though.

White Stig has been there for seven years and has become an integral part of the Top Gear brand.

They still need a test driver so I expect Stig will return in a new guise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    OMG :eek: they do look awful! I hope he had just finished eating toffe pudding or something when that picture was taken!

He claims to be fifty years old, he looks much older in that picture.

As for the hideous brown teeth; buy some whitening toothpaste and brush more regularly man, you are a disgrace.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the reports of his wage are true and that he didn't get a cut from the stig merchandising while the other 3 millionaires did, then I don't blame him. I cant recall all this hype when Perry McCarthy wrote his book, this smacks more of clever marketing for the Top Gear brand to be honest.

Collins didn't create the character, he's just the man in the suit, and he's not always the man in the suit. Why should he get a cut of the merchandising?

He still got paid quite handsomely for what was probably little more than a days work.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    You can if he is still in contract or has a contract of employment like most people.

How have they been harmed?

That has been discussed at great length on a couple of threads on these forums - but it's one thing what WE the viewers think, it's another thing what the various creative elements and presenters on the programme itself think.

Why was it a mistake to attempt to ensure that a supposedly secret element of the programme remains ... erm, a secret?

So you have no views on the subject yourself?
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

Hamster and May don't get a cut of the royalties only Clarkson does cos he created the Stig character. Collins gets nothing cos his face isn't used and he didn't create the Stig. But that's the life of a faceless stunt driver for ya. Collins doesn't receive royalties for the James Bond character either.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    So you have no views on the subject yourself?
    Yes, they were posted in the earlier Gagging The Stig (the one in Broadcasting and possibly the one in Television), the threads discussing the then ongoing court case requesting the injunction - you must remember, as you contributed to that one in Broadcasting.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1335652&highlight=stig

My varied thoughts:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/search.php?searchid=69277444

Therefore I have little desire or need to repeat myself here .

Why do you ask btw?
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did he think he could keep his job after outing himself? Will his book really be worth it financially? Seems unlikely.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    How did he think he could keep his job after outing himself? Will his book really be worth it financially? Seems unlikely.

It gets him into the limelight so his PR people can get him some work doing public speaking engagements.

The 'secrecy' part of the contract would be interesting as no doubt he'd want to include some of the famous faces he's 'taught' but would those famous faces be allowed to be spoken about as they probably had their own secrecy clauses when they originally agreed to do the show?
  • Options
    Mike_PMike_P Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    RED_ wrote: »
    All their money is from us.. where else are they going to get it from otherwise?

TG makes the BBC money from its world wide sales so a lot of money does not come from us.
  • Options
    king_walnutking_walnut Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's said that the man who plays the Stig is sacked.

Meaning we'll still have Stig and his intro will be something like "Some say that he's a driver called Ben Collins, but that can't be, because Ben Collins no longer works for the BBC"
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Collins is a no-body.

People only care about it because he was the Stig.

The Stig is famous, not Ben Collins.

As for the comments about Clarckson, are you all perfect? No, I bet your not.

He signed a confidentiality contract. The BBC should sue him for all the money he makes from his book.

Teach the greedy :mad::mad::mad: a leason.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Collins is a no-body.

People only care about it because he was the Stig.

The Stig is famous, not Ben Collins.

Bit like the telletubbies and the muppets, really. No one really cares that much who animates the thing (no offence- much loved Henson people), they just care about the thing itself.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben Collins was, essentially, an actor playing out a role. He does not own the copyright of The Stig.

Any actor in a drama or soap could be sacked and, indeed, replaced, should they breach the terms of their contract, as has happened here.

Apparently he has now been signed up to a top management company so he is clearly looking to further his profile beyond this book, and presumably needs the cash.
  • Options
    makomako Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    This could work in their favour. I'm sure Clarkson and Co. are already planning white Stig's on-screen demise, and preparing to unpack a brand new one, fresh out of a crate or something.
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bibendum wrote: »
    100,000,000 love the dross that is Top Gear and the the ego out of control who presents it?

The world has gone mad.

so it just proves you were wrong to say 'who cares' when many people around the world watch it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    so it just proves you were wrong to say 'who cares' when many people around the world watch it

Proof? I think not.

I seriously doubt many people truly enjoy the forced 'antics' of Brown Chopper Clarkson and the 'boys' no matter what the notional viewing figures (the veracity of which I doubt).

Time for this 'past it's best by' dross to be axed.