Options

Vernon Kay might replace Brucie

Comments

• Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    These channel four T4 presenters should stick to kids telly. Hows bout Aled Jones as presenter. Warm personality and witty.
  • Options
    George7George7 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with many of the others:

PLEASE, NOT VERNON KAY!!
  • Options
    GirlygigglerGirlygiggler Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I must be the only person who actually likes Vernon Kay as a television presenter!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    The only one I can think would do the show justice is Philip Schofield.....:)
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    He would not go anywhere near the BBC after the last two years, so he has no chance of presenting Strictly.

He is on BBC2's new astronomy show, Stargazing Live, next Monday :p
    Wannabe stargazer Jonathan Ross gets a crash course in planet spotting in his own back garden

Plus, he was only recently waxing lyrical about his old employees in an interview. While I can't see JR being right for Strictly - or should that be Strictly not being right for JR? - I wouldnt write off an alliance between the Beeb and Jonathan in the future.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh not Vernon, I'd rather see Bruno have the job and a new judge on the panel if there is nobody else to have the job
  • Options
    friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vernon would be a better choice than Barrowman but I'm not sure the format would suit him as he's more typecast to a gameshow hosting role. His lack of knowledge of dance could also be a problem. Anton Du Beke would probably be the most logical choice in terms of charisma and in terms of the history of the show but whether he would want to do it I'm not sure. Also Bruno wouldn't be a good choice.

I suspect that if Bruce decides to do one more series the next one will be the last for health reasons if no other but I do wonder if his retirement will be the death of the show as no-one will really command the audience etc. like he does.

The short tem solution the BEEB may experiment with would be Claudia and Tess. How about Ronnie Corbett after he filled in last year but again with his age it wouldn't be a long term solution.

I'm not convinced it will be Vernon Kay as I doubt he'll leave ITV anyway.
  • Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    I think I must be the only person who actually likes Vernon Kay as a television presenter!

You're not alone; I'm rather fond of Vern. He makes the awful ASFF watchable!

He'll be my 2nd choice after Steve Jones. Most of the suggestions (John Barrowman especially) make me want to throw things around the house.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that horrible git takes over from Bruce that is the end of me watching any more SCD.
  • Options
    tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason I don't want Vern is cos I'm soooo desperate for Tess to go! My mute button gets so much use it's sometimes hard to work out what's going on. I was in favour of Barrowman, but after the xmas special, only if he had a couple of valium first! Please not Conley either. After reading through all this thread, my vote is Michael Ball and Erin Boag.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    as he is being tried out on the American Version of Dancing on Ice called Skating with the Stars which is being made by BBC Worldwide
    So 2+2=5.
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suspect that if Bruce decides to do one more series the next one will be the last for health reasons if no other but I do wonder if his retirement will be the death of the show as no-one will really command the audience etc. like he does.

The short tem solution the BEEB may experiment with would be Claudia and Tess. How about Ronnie Corbett after he filled in last year but again with his age it wouldn't be a long term solution.

I do sometimes wonder if I watch the same show as some people :eek: I dont see Bruce 'commanding the audience' he seems to just bumble along from one mistake to the next which is a shame considering he was so good in the past (quite distant past). Ronnie didnt fill in....he was dumped on the show as a friend of Brucies....he didnt actually do anything apart from nearly fall down the stairs and sit in the audience pretending to phone Bruce just so people didnt forget who the star of the show is in Brucies world.
  • Options
    magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Vernon Kay gets this prime time job I will stop watching - he is a talentless buffoon - let him go to America and take his wooden wife with him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    No no no no NO! If Vernon gets it, I'll have to stop watching! Please no! Why don't they realise that he's not as popular as he (and his wife) thinks he is?? NoooooO!! That would actually make me cry! It's bad enough watching Tess stand there (just about) jigging about like she's got a hamster in her underwear..please don't inflict Vernon on us too.
    *sob*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was hoping they would get rid of Tess as well as Bruce. Having her and Vernon on could be enough to make me stop watching. :cry:
  • Options
    friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sometimes wonder if I watch the same show as some people :eek: I dont see Bruce 'commanding the audience' he seems to just bumble along from one mistake to the next which is a shame considering he was so good in the past (quite distant past). Ronnie didnt fill in....he was dumped on the show as a friend of Brucies....he didnt actually do anything apart from nearly fall down the stairs and sit in the audience pretending to phone Bruce just so people didnt forget who the star of the show is in Brucies world.

For all the criticism of Brucie 'bumbling along' if it was just Tess fronting the show you would soon notice hence last year when Ronnie Corbett stood in. Only Anton Du Beke could compare for charisma to Brucie. Philip Schofield isn't the answer he's a bore anyone who has watched Dancing on Ice would know that. The show is so inferior to SCD.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vernon would be a better choice than Barrowman but I'm not sure the format would suit him as he's more typecast to a gameshow hosting role. His lack of knowledge of dance could also be a problem. Anton Du Beke would probably be the most logical choice in terms of charisma and in terms of the history of the show but whether he would want to do it I'm not sure. Also Bruno wouldn't be a good choice.

I'm not convinced it will be Vernon Kay as I doubt he'll leave ITV anyway.

Not sure an eighty-year-old is any more right as a host than one of 82, even for one year.
    If anyone recalls Ronnie Corbett on this I do, then I'd count him out. He's more doddery than Bruce. You need reasonably quick reactions for something like Strictly and Ronnie Corbett wouldn't be able to handle it.

As the BBC think Moira Ross has given this show a new lease of life, they will be probably thinking long term.

Maybe someone who can ride a unicycle and has a gymnastics floor programme?
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For all the criticism of Brucie 'bumbling along' if it was just Tess fronting the show you would soon notice hence last year when Ronnie Corbett stood in. Only Anton Du Beke could compare for charisma to Brucie. Philip Schofield isn't the answer he's a bore anyone who has watched Dancing on Ice would know that. The show is so inferior to SCD.

soon notice what ?? when Tess and Claudia stood in on the main show for Bruce last series I thought they were fine.....the results show this series hasnt been such a sucess but that was due to the format more than anything and nothing to do with Bruce not being there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will actually have to switch off SCD after 8 series if Vernon becomes host. I cannot stand the man as a presenter (can't judge him on anything else as I don't know him personally!).
    Then again most of the other suggestions would also have me running for the hills as well. Definitely not John Barrowman after seeing him on the Christmas special. Oh my word that man was hyper :eek:

I don't think it should be Graham Norton as to me it would be over-exposure - presenting too many shows given he presents the ALW talent shows and a chat show too.

Gethin I could cope with and possibly Aled. They have the advantage of knowing how the contestants feel too. Gethin has done live tv, but I'm not sure about Aled.

It needs to be someone who has done live tv and can cope with the pressure and would be able to improvise if there was a problem (like the microphone incident in Mark and Karen's salsa).
    I actually think the British version needs a song and dance style entertainer as presenter but I guess I'm a lone voice. Brian Conley would be my choice too.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George7 wrote: »
    I agree with many of the others:

PLEASE, NOT VERNON KAY!!

Indeed if that's the alternative then stay on Brucie and I hate the doddering old fool.

I like Barrowman but he'd be a disaster too - the reason I don't like Brucie is that he thinks he is the show when it shouldn't revolve around the host - Barrowman would be even worse. Less is more.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It needs to be someone who has done live tv and can cope with the pressure and would be able to improvise if there was a problem (like the microphone incident in Mark and Karen's salsa).
    I actually think the British version needs a song and dance style entertainer as presenter but I guess I'm a lone voice. Brian Conley would be my choice too.

I totally agree Brian Conley would be brilliant replacement for brucie
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I'm rather warming to the idea of Steve Jones.
    Him and Claudia Winkleman, I thought they were great together on Let's Dance.
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Vernon Kay for me would be the worst candidate for hosting SCD.

Although I think John Barrowman technically would be good, seeing how he over-reacts to the slightest thing sometimes makes me think he'd put off a load of people.

I agree that BBC want to aim the show at younger people, but fact of the matter is, if it doesn't contain street-dancing with a posse of 18 kids to a hip hop theme, they aren't going to be interested..

I'd rather see Lord Sugar be main host of SCD than VK. Can see it now.. "Anton and Ann, you're fired!"..

Scrozuk
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barrowman is so self obssessed that I doubt that the BBC would give him the job.

It runs on a very tight schedule. Sometimes when Bruce is too slow with his linking because he talks to much, they often have to miss out a judge's comments, so they can catch up. (I don't think that's a bad thing, but it's not what the show's about)

Can you imagine the additional time problems Barrowman would cause?
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,390
    Forum Member
    Anton closely followed by Brian Conley, could Tess go as well and let her place go to Claudia.