Options

Trivial things that annoy you about TV

Comments

• Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HiMyNameIs wrote: »
    When news reporters interview people who don't speak English, howvever they nod along and look as if they're listening intently to their every word even though they have no idea what they're saying!

The worst moment for this is when they interview a runner whose just completed a very long race/marathon. Said runner can probably speak competent English but that competency flies out of the window when they are out of breath as well. But the interviewer will still pretend to understand every word they have just said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May have been mentioned already, but the ludicrously extended pause between the words "and the winner is...." and "Sandra" (etc). It seems to be gettting worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APP_VBu-VV8&spfreload=10

:D
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it when there's a sporting occasion such as a football match abroad that is broadcast to the UK via 20 hd cameras the BBC still have to send over Gary Lineker, Gabby Logan, Alan Shearer, Robbie Savage, Phil Neville, Ian Wright, 2 commentators, camera operators, sound engineer, producer, make up, technician, tea lady.. when they could just stay here and watch it in a studio. No doubt first class travel and 5 star hotels included
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On quiz shows whenever a category like history or politics comes up the contestants will laugh and say something like "oh, not my strongest subject, I'm afraid!"

I hate the fact that they're basically hooting at how dumb they are. If a category came up that I wasn't particularly good at I wouldn't laugh at my own idiocy.

And chances are their 'strongest subject' is sport or film & TV as though no-one else excels at those subjects.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What annoys me? Carol Kirkwood calling Boring Bill "Billy"
    No one else does
    It's like a private thing they have
    Disgusting
    That reminds me. BBC weather presenters and their fondness for the word 'squally', usually rendered as 'squally showers'. I first noticed when one co-presenter made reference to it about a year ago and now it seems like they use it in every forecast, providing there's some vaguely turbulent weather occurring somewhere in the British Isles at the time. At first I thought it was only Kirkwood, but others use it too. It's like some sad inside joke. Someone buy the scriptwriter a thesaurus, for Christ's sake!
  • Options
    Danno2020Danno2020 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Sticking with the quiz show theme:

Unrealistic ideas to spend prize money on. Particularly notice this on Pointless, where the jackpot is a thrilling £1000 so 500 each yet the contestants will declare they're going to see relatives in New Zealand or use it to buy a porsche...

Also hate the banter hosts have with contestants. Just get on with it, I don't care what they do for a living, or what interesting facts they may have!

On countdown when a contestant asks for far too many vowels than necessary.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »
    On quiz shows whenever a category like history or politics comes up the contestants will laugh and say something like "oh, not my strongest subject, I'm afraid!"

I hate the fact that they're basically hooting at how dumb they are. If a category came up that I wasn't particularly good at I wouldn't laugh at my own idiocy.

I see it as them trying to be picky about what they want to answer. If you go on a quiz I'd have thought you should expect to be asked about anything.
    Danno2020 wrote: »
    Sticking with the quiz show theme:

Unrealistic ideas to spend prize money on. Particularly notice this on Pointless, where the jackpot is a thrilling £1000 so 500 each yet the contestants will declare they're going to see relatives in New Zealand or use it to buy a porsche...

Also hate the banter hosts have with contestants. Just get on with it, I don't care what they do for a living, or what interesting facts they may have!

On countdown when a contestant asks for far too many vowels than necessary.

What I find daft is when a contestant is given three multiple choice options and says they haven't a clue but they'll plump for such and such because "it's the only one of them I'd heard of". I don't see the logic - I've heard of Paris but that doesn't make it any more likely to be the answer to any random general knowledge question. And surely if you've heard of it you'd be more likely to have heard of the associated fact in the question - you'd be better off if anything to go for an option you hadn't heard of, if anything...
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »

And chances are their 'strongest subject' is sport or film & TV as though no-one else excels at those subjects.
    One of the annoyanced that pops up frequently made an appearance on Decimate yesterday.

Question comes and contenstant with no clue says "oh, it's before my time" :-/
  • Options
    Danno2020Danno2020 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    What I find daft is when a contestant is given three multiple choice options and says they haven't a clue but they'll plump for such and such because "it's the only one of them I'd heard of". I don't see the logic - I've heard of Paris but that doesn't make it any more likely to be the answer to any random general knowledge question. And surely if you've heard of it you'd be more likely to have heard of the associated fact in the question - you'd be better off if anything to go for an option you hadn't heard of, if anything...

On a similar note, they'll opt for the answer that "sounds most likely"... I know nothing about cricket, and you could give me three names of players and I'd be none the wiser. But to choose one that sounds most crickety? What? :confused:
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Question comes and contenstant with no clue says "oh, it's before my time" :-/

I hate that as well - should I immediately disregard anything that happened before 1990, because it was before my time?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lack of live Snooker coverage outside the red button.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lack of live Snooker coverage outside the red button.

And them telling me that there's "live (insert different sport)" on the red button when I'm watching Match of the Day 2.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    "After the break - we'll be meeting the legendary ******* see you then"
    FIVE Minutes later: "Soon we'll be meeting ********, but first here's the competition where you can win £10,000!!"
    "Hello - and now we are going to show you how to cook a scrambled egg" After the break we will be interviewing ********* - stay tuned!"

etc etc....do you recognise the patter?? The final interviewee get's about 5 minutes after all the hype because they are 'out of time'!! This doesn't just happen on This Morning though - it happens on that Good Morning thing in the morning when a special guest gets put on at 8.25 - just before Lorraine starts at 8.30am!!
    :kitty::kitty::kitty:
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The use of the term 'Every parent's worse nightmare' when discussing the tragedy involving a young person in the news. Often a death but not always. This tends to be on 'This Morning', but heard it elsewhere.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any ITV show competition, they repeat them so often, probably between every ad break. The annoying part is the need to point out that it is "A Tax Free Prize! " ....Well unless ITV think they have preferential control of UK tax laws, all competitions in the UK have tax free prizes!! It is as pointless as saying we will pay you in Sterling, yes UK currency!!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching a bit of Euronews yesterday. There was a man speaking in English and suddenly they started voicing over him...in English.:o
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed Channel 4 doing this really irritating thing where they have a promo ad making you think the break is done but then they go and throw THREE MORE ADVERTS at your face! >:(
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The advert sponsorship of everything annoys me. Have the ad break, and return to the programme. Don't string it out with endless pip up ads etc.
    The bbc are just as bad, plugging endless adverts for their stuff and services too. Why not make it an ad. for persil and save us all 150 quid a year? May as well.

The endless cheap americanisation of our tv channels annoys me-there even americans all over the adverts now too.
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gurning signers for the deaf . An episode of the Professionals this morning on ITV4 made it unwatchable for me. What's wrong with subtitles?
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every tragedy appears to occur in a community that is always " close knit ", thankfully not many bad things happen in towns or villages where people couldn't give a shit.

In a similar vein, every person who is murdered, abducted or disappears is " bubbly " , " full of life " and " loved by everyone " .
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    In a similar vein, every person who is murdered, abducted or disappears is " bubbly " , " full of life " and " loved by everyone " .
    Quite. I'd make it a criminal offence to appear on the news on the steps of a court reading out a tribute to the victim of a crime in a flat monotone telling us how the deceased was our life, will be so missed, was such a beautiful person etc etc, with an extra 5 years if the solicitor or worse a copper reads it out on behalf of the family, in a disinterested manner.

Conversely an award from public funds (amount to be decided by the judge) to anyone who stands on the same steps with a bit of a grin and says 'yeah he was a bit of a villain really, probably had it coming to im if I'm honest'.
  • Options
    CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get annoyed with the majority of the contestants in "Tipping Point" who don't appear to have the faintest idea when to release the counters so that they are dragged flat onto the shelf. Anybody watching the programme would think most contestants have never watched the game on TV before they take part.

In one programme some time ago the host, Ben Shepard, said to one contestant, who was getting rider after rider, something like "I don't know where all these riders are coming from". What he should have said is "drop the bl***dy counters at the right time you fool". A rider is when the dropped counter overlaps another counter and ends up being wasted.

For those that don't watch Tipping Point the object is to drop counters so they lie flat on the shelf that moves back and forward. Then the counter pushes other counters over the "tipping point" to win cash.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Charenton wrote: »
    I get annoyed with the majority of the contestants in "Tipping Point" who don't appear to have the faintest idea when to release the counters so that they are dragged flat onto the shelf. Anybody watching the programme would think most contestants have never watched the game on TV before they take part.

In one programme some time ago the host, Ben Shepard, said to one contestant, who was getting rider after rider, something like "I don't know where all these riders are coming from". What he should have said is "drop the bl***dy counters at the right time you fool". A rider is when the dropped counter overlaps another counter and ends up being wasted.

For those that don't watch Tipping Point the object is to drop counters so they lie flat on the shelf that moves back and forward. Then the counter pushes other counters over the "tipping point" to win cash.

I'd rather play the real game in an amusement arcade. I could very easily get addicted. Years ago you could give the machine a big thump to make the coins drop and it didn't sound an embarrassing alarm!!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Inappropriate canned laughter.

On Play To The Whistle Holly says something like "all the teams have to do is Play To The Whistle" then blows the whistle and there is a rumbling of audience laughter.

Why? there is nothing remotely funny about the line or simply blowing a whistle.

Similarly on Mock the Week when Andy Hamilton walks up to the mic and the audience laughs.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The inane banter between Alexander and Richard on Pointless. Why the hell did they spend 2 minutes banging on about penicillin and Poundland?! >:(