Landline and Broadband?

2»

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    TalkTalk Wholesale via a different ISP is okay from what I can tell, it's a hell of a lot better if you're in a situation where it's BT 20CN, TT or nothing at all. It's just the retail side that is crap - like BT themselves really.

I looked at a few providers before I changed to ADSL24 a few years back, but because they used the Talk Talk network I decided not to bother. Just the name Talk talk, it scares the hell out of me :)
    But there's a difference between not spending much and literally going for the absolute cheapest. You don't have to spend 50 quid a month to get something decent, Plusnet shows that you can have a good price and relatively good service (though not Zen or AAISP good). But any ISP that claims to offer "free unlimited broadband" if you pay the line rental probably won't be.

Plusnet seems to have got better over the last few days I must admit, good for the price I suppose. Some people think we have to pay a fortune to get better broadband, and if you go for something like AAISP, you are paying way over the top and do you really get anything more for it? You could be paying that amount for years and yet never have a problem, or you could pay less on a different provider and still never have a problem.
    So you are paying the extra for customer service you may not use.

It's like most things, a decent mid-range product is not that much more than the cheapest but it's a hell of a lot better.

Not always.
    I think I do. The connection never goes wrong, speeds are always fantastic, latency/loss are good, it's stress free. I'm having to deal with BT business on behalf of someone else at the moment and I really wish I'd told them to move to Zen (it wouldn't be that much more since it's a business connection) - they're making a simple phone line move so difficult.

I had no problem when I moved to plusnet, I must admit I was dreading it, But BTOR came, he made sure the phone was working ok, then he stuck a gizmo onto my line so he knows where it is in the cabinet, went up to the cabinets, connected it all up, came back after 30 mins or so and stuck the filter on, installed the modem, even sticking it onto the wall.
    The only problem, which was not really as problem, was that it took a while before Plusnet activated my connection, so while Mr BTOR could get a signal, I could not connect to the net.

I did have a slow speed problem, but I think that was more down to a ethernet cable problem, took it out, plugged it back in and away it went,

about 3 weeks ago I lost my phone service and had really slow broadband, called up Plusnet, yes we will get it sorted type of thing, could be up to two working days ( a BTOR thing). Next morning,. MR BTOR on my doorstep, done some checks, found out the fault was about 450metres away, which is the cabinet, went to said cabinet, put new crimp on and away we went, well kind off, slow speed again, but it soon came back or pretty close to it.

I know my view of BT is not great, but i must admit Plusnet treated me well and BTOR was good, very good. Not like the last time I had them here about 7 years back , when they tried to blame me for the problem, saying it was my extensions that was causing the problem, before they even got into the house. The fact that it was BTOR who wired up the extension and not me and that was fine anyway. Took 4 days to get the problem sorted then.
    So things have improved.

Saying all of that, if I had the money i would like to support the smaller companies, which is why I went for a local one a couple of years back or so and the fact that it was faster than ADSL, BT was still dragging it feet about FTTC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your point is here. People happily put up with substandard service because it's cheap. Look at all the people who persevere with O2 or Vodafone and complain about slow internet on their phones, but won't move networks because they think it's too difficult (it isn't), or that they think all networks are the same.

A lot of people don't know better.
    I agree with you to a certain point and i have said that before, only to be fobbed off with do you think people are stupid? type of comments.
    I know a few people who just stay with the provider, because they trust them or they been in business for so long or they think it is hassle changing, or they will not save enough money so not worth the hassle or as you said they are all the same.

My next door neighbour have been with BT for years and will not change, even through they would get a better deal with Sky. Well they would have, but I got onto BT and get them a pretty good deal now, FTTC for 50p a month more than standard broadband.

I suppose I am the same, I will not change my energy now from who I am with, no point, you save very little and it is hassle. I am thinking of changing my Mobile phone service provider, from Vodafone, to maybe Sainsburys, not because of bad service, saying that I have been having problems with the 3G. but because of cost and because it is easier to keep a eye on costs. Vodafone App is a waste of space.
    You also see this when buying things. I have a lot of relatives who refuse to listen to any technically literate people in the family, and will go to PC World and buy the absolute cheapest laptop or tablet in the shop. No wonder then that it's a total POS from the moment it's taken out of the box and lasts a year or two before dying. You don't have to go overboard and buy a Macbook Pro or iPad, but maybe spend £50 more on a £300 product instead.

I think most products these days are more reliable and just because you pay less do not mean the thing is going to break down in the first year. My Asus laptop was not expensive about 6 years back, ok it went up in smoke a few months back, but for the price it lasted well and was a decent spec.
    The problem with buying lower price products, certainly in the computer world is the lack of power, they stick in less ram and use low powered chips like the Celeron and then the machine is just so slow.

I got myself a Panasonic midi a few years back, I did not spend that much, about £200 I think and yet it is a great bit of kit, good sound for the price and reliable. Ok I have changed the speakers, mainly because I was given a pair of Tannoy ones. £200 for a pretty decent system is nothing, even my mate who is a signer, songwriter, sound engineer is impressed with it.

I know many people who gone for cheap, my brother Bush TV set, ok it have not got some of the features on my pricey sets, but it gives a pretty good picture and does what he wants.
    My philips Plasma was not that expensive, about £600 at the time and then a lot of plasmas was in the grand zone. My TV is now 7-8 years old, never had a problem with it and still going strong. Picture quality is still as good now as it was when it was new. The only minor problem is the remote, it is starting to wear now, I must get another one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flique wrote: »
    Just an update in case anyone does consider EE. 5 days since phone line was fixed and connectivity issues solved but BB speed not. Just phoned again to be told that now the connectivity is good they can do a reset and in two hours I should have better speeds, not holding my breath here. The connectivity was not an issue after phone fault was solved so why another 5 days to solve this when I had been on the phone to tell them the problem every day.

This gentleman did however give me my MAC code as he says it is on the system, funny that as when I asked for it 2 days ago they said it would have to be sent to me and would take 5 days. So all is not lost I have the code and will switch if they let me down this time.

The Dynamic line management system may have gone haywire due to the line being faulty, that is what happened with my FTTC, so give it a while to sort itself out. Saying that I thought BT have taken all DLM systems out due to some dispute over rights.
  • fliqueflique Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got 5.56 by midday. That's ok and to be expected as not on fibre.