BBC Lunch and Late regional news

bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
Forum Member
✭✭
I got the impression post Election, the lunch news would return to 15 minutes, the late 5 minutes.

Not complaining, I do enjoy it as if is.

Is it due to change back?

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was certainly said at the time they changed it. However the 10.30 pm local news has been getting some very good ratings, above 3 million, so maybe they've decided to keep it that way. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland still do a 15-minute news after the One.
  • spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 15 mins is too long at 10.30 despite the ratings. 6 and a half was just fine And to take them away from the lunchtime bulletin: absurd.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im in the points west region, and most nights the final 5 minutes, seems a very long dragged out regional weather forecast, so all regions get that.

in the 10.30 slot i mean
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im in the points west region, and most nights the final 5 minutes, seems a very long dragged out regional weather forecast, so all regions get that.

in the 10.30 slot i mean

I haven't stuck around long enough. I guess so. I live in North Surrey and am served by BBC and ITV London. Unfortunately, the Home Counties get a raw deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC London doesn't cover news outside the M25 which is an absolute disgrace when you consider the millions of licence payers in the Home Counties who receive no local news service from the BBC whatsover.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the impression post Election, the lunch news would return to 15 minutes, the late 5 minutes.

Not complaining, I do enjoy it as if is.

Is it due to change back?

I expect that was just spin to cover up cost cutting.

It's much cheaper to run a longer bulletin at 10:30 than at lunchtime
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I expect that was just spin to cover up cost cutting.

It's much cheaper to run a longer bulletin at 10:30 than at lunchtime

The 10.30 pm bulletin last night got 3.4 million viewers
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member
    spursboy68 wrote: »
    I think 15 mins is too long at 10.30 despite the ratings. 6 and a half was just fine And to take them away from the lunchtime bulletin: absurd.

But surely the 10:30pm bulletin gets many more times more viewers as most people are at home, so deserves the longer slot, the lunchtime bulletin has a limited audience as most are at work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    But surely the 10:30pm bulletin gets many more times more viewers as most people are at home, so deserves the longer slot, the lunchtime bulletin has a limited audience as most are at work.

I just think that coupled with the national bulletin, 45 mins is too long. On Fridays, it's as was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night the 10.30 pm bulletin got 3.86 million, more than Watchdog.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's your point? You don't seem to be answering the question asked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    What's your point? You don't seem to be answering the question asked.

Just noting how successful the late news programmes have become which may be an incentive for the BBC to keep them.The original idea was they would provide election coverage for viewers who had not seen the 6.30 programmes. It is correct - in the original announcement - they were going to revert back after the election.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Apart from Fridays I found out last night.

Rest of the week nights programmes start at 10:45 but last night I tuned into Norton 10 minutes into the show.

I know I should have double checked but I just assumed that it would be the same schedule.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Just noting how successful the late news programmes have become which may be an incentive for the BBC to keep them.The original idea was they would provide election coverage for viewers who had not seen the 6.30 programmes. It is correct - in the original announcement - they were going to revert back after the election.

I think the collective viewing figures, seem to suggest viewers are happy to watch the news at this time.
    Guess it caters for shift workers and say 9 to 5 types who may be waking up at about 6.30 the next day.
  • Simon_AshtonSimon_Ashton Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    The bulletins change back to longer lunch and shorter 2225 on the 8th of June.

Then there is going to be a period of consultation/studying the viewing figures and if it's felt the changes worked programmes will change back to being a short lunch and long 2225 sometime in the autumn.
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjex wrote: »

Spot on methinks. In fact I'm surprised that the Lunchtime bulletin hasn't been scrapped totally with the ongoing squeeze at the BBC...and ITV's bulletin for that matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Tuesday night the 6.30 pm BBC regional news got a combined audience of 5.501 million and the 10.30 got 3.493 million.
  • 4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bulletins change back to longer lunch and shorter 2225 on the 8th of June.

Then there is going to be a period of consultation/studying the viewing figures and if it's felt the changes worked programmes will change back to being a short lunch and long 2225 sometime in the autumn.

The viewing figures quoted here are obviously positive and any 'consultation' could have been undertaken while the experiment was ongoing. It seems unnecessarily messy to revert back and then (as seems likely) reinstate the current arrangements.

I also imagine the fact ITV have maintained their 10-minute bulletins at 10.30 (in spite of having won the right to cut them in half) will influence thinking at the BBC.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted, sorry mistake post.