Who Do You Think You Are - suggestions ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
Who would you like to see in this programme ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourites have been:
    Rory Bremner's - a hero, WW2 story
    Kim Cattrall's - her grandfather deserted, it mirrored my own mother's life in many ways.
    Bruce Forsyth's - about a bigamist grandfather who went to the USA
    Rolf Harris - about his grandfather and uncle who died in France WW1

I would like to see more stories that go back a bit further into the earlier part of the 1800's. We have censuses from 1841.
    It would be great to hear of some celebrities who ended up doing similar jobs to their ancestors.

• CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive noticed there is only one woman in this series Dervla Kirwan, i wonder why that is
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    ive noticed there is only one woman in this series Dervla Kirwan, i wonder why that is

Don't know why there's only one female, but it's interesting that we have a husband and wife this time in Dervla Kirwan and Rupert Penry-Jones.

And with Rupert it could be a double whammy because his mother is the actress Angela Thorne, Marjorie from To The Manor Born.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Dara O'Briein
    Hugh Grant
    Barry Humphries
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that quite a few others have had their family history investigated but were not deemed to be that interesting enough to make a programme of.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I follow Richard Madeley on twitter and he will be on it soon. It seems that the program asks them if they would be up for it and then they research the ones who say yes. Then they actually film the ones when they find something interesting. They don't tell the person what they have found. They only find out on camera so the reactions are real.

I don't really mind who the person is so long as the story is interesting. I really like David Mitchell but thought his story was dull.
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would do Ray Winstone (I love him :D )
  • westlifefan123westlifefan123 Posts: 4,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Webb - I think he'd be great in this

From Hayley
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    I follow Richard Madeley on twitter and he will be on it soon. It seems that the program asks them if they would be up for it and then they research the ones who say yes. Then they actually film the ones when they find something interesting. They don't tell the person what they have found. They only find out on camera so the reactions are real.

I don't really mind who the person is so long as the story is interesting. I really like David Mitchell but thought his story was dull.

It was a bit, until the payoff of the will which was hilarious :)
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know why there's only one female, but it's interesting that we have a husband and wife this time in Dervla Kirwan and Rupert Penry-Jones.

And with Rupert it could be a double whammy because his mother is the actress Angela Thorne, Marjorie from To The Manor Born.

i had no idea that was his mum, interesting :)
  • SuburbanqueenSuburbanqueen Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Phil Glenister - just because he's gorgeous
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wonder why they only showed two of the US shows.

Come on BBC, just show the whole lot. :mad:
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Just wonder why they only showed two of the US shows.

Come on BBC, just show the whole lot. :mad:

they showed three - SJP, Brooke Shields and Susan Sarandan. I think the World Cup mucked up their scheduling.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,831
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see....

- William Roache

- Samantha Cameron (mainly because I read she's linked to the Sheffield family who own a place near me)

Sophie Dahl

- Phillip Schofield

- Gino D'Acampo

- James Martin
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil collins & cliff richard
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank Skinner
  • MKLightningMKLightning Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    No doubt there are many interesting people we would like to see on Who Do You Think You Are, but there are two issues. One, is that their family history may be boring and the other is that they already know their family history, so their would be no surprise for them.
  • ErithianErithian Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I may have mentioned it somewhere on here before, but Melissa Suffield (Lucy Beale in EastEnders) might be an interesting one – Suffield was the maiden name of JRR Tolkien’s mother, so it’d be fascinating to see if there’s a connection.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy Clarkson appeared in a 2004 episode, so I think James May should have a go, or indeed, Richard Hammond.

Also - Paul O'Grady, perhaps.

The choice of celebrity may not necessarily reflect how interesting (or not) their family tree is, however.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Sophie Dahl- she has the whole Roald Dahl history that could be explored
    Trisha Goddard
    Alan Carr
    Stephanie Beacham
  • Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    they showed three - SJP, Brooke Shields and Susan Sarandan. I think the World Cup mucked up their scheduling.

SJPs was a great story, right back to the Salem witch trials. I may have to "acquire" the US series from other sources if Beeb aren't going to show them - also I wondered why the US ones weren't in HD.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samantha from sex in the city was good too i found out by watching it not so long ago it was recorded when it first aired
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would really like to see some ordinary people too. Celebs' families aren't intrinsically more interesting, I don't think. When I was researching my own tree my friend kept commenting that the things I found were far more interesting than some of the WDYTYA episodes, and I know my family isn't unique in that. I would like to see some of the work and help that the celebs get in finding out their family stuff also helping ordinary people.

My favourite episodes of the series have been Jeremy Paxman's, Stephen Fry's, Jane Horrocks and Matthew Pinsent's. What I've also found is that what I think of the celeb doesn't necessarily affect how much I enjoyed their programme - I like David Mitchell, but his programme was dull, and I dislike Bruce Forsyth and Barbara Windsor, but found both their programmes really interesting.

I would be interested in seeing some programmes with people whose families were immigrants - maybe someone like Michael Portillo or Sandi Toksvig.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The minogue sisters might be a good one...their mother was from Wales so might dig up stuff there and in Australia.

Judy Dench might be a good one too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    They start a series with 12 celebrities but then only make the programme if they can find a interesting back story that has not been covered in a previous episode.