Options

'Sky wouldn't let me leave until I had discussed my account for 90 minutes'

Comments

• Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've posted this before but it's worth repeating.

I've cancelled Sky TV twice in recent years - on both occasions it took approx 30 seconds.

Ring up and say: "I'm ringing to inform you that X has died"

On both occasions I was, of course, telling the truth. But they don't check - it's not practical for them to do so. They accept it immediately and you also avoid the 30 days notice - no refund for days paid in advance but they don't attempt to take any further payment.
  • Options
    TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    You think Sky are bad.... try leaving '3' !! :o
    Yes, I had a good conversation with one of their clueless agents.

ME: I want to cancel
    3: Sorry to hear that, can I ask why?
    ME: Yes, I don't get any coverage when I'm outside of town
    3: We can offer you a good package deal if you stay
    ME: Can you make my phone work on your network?
    ... repeat several times until they get the message.

I think like others have said the solution is to tell them you have moved to somewhere impractical or just repeat the same answer without engaging in their conversation.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I had a good conversation with one of their clueless agents.

ME: I want to cancel
    3: Sorry to hear that, can I ask why?
    ME: Yes, I don't get any coverage when I'm outside of town
    3: We can offer you a good package deal if you stay
    ME: Can you make my phone work on your network?
    ... repeat several times until they get the message.

I think like others have said the solution is to tell them you have moved to somewhere impractical or just repeat the same answer without engaging in their conversation.

I had a similar one trying to leave O2 (on a sim-only month by month deal) to move to giffgaff (for a very similar deal at half the price). As the agent on the web chat started telling me about how O2's network was better than any other networks, I took great pleasure in informing her that giffgaff was an MVNO running off O2! There were other gems in that conversation - so much so, that I saved the log to have a chuckle at later... :D
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,006
    Forum Member
    gs1 wrote: »
    I agree that there are methods of resolving the issue, such as cancelling direct debits, allowing "debt recovery" procedures to run their course etc., but many people are uncomfortable with taking such steps.

They try to "do the right thing", paying bills when they are genuinely due etc. and thus are unfamiliar and uncomfortable with debt recovery procedures.

Why should they have to do so, because their provider doesn't reciprocate and "do the right thing"? My view, is that stronger action is required by the regulator, Ofcom, who are familiar with this issue, to protect consumers.

The Daily Mail have also published an article, which has so far generated over 1,500 comments:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3045839/The-customer-spent-96-minutes-3-800-words-trying-cancel-Sky-TV-contract-failed.html

Also in the Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/cancel-sky-at-your-peril-man-spends-96-minutes-in-chat-but-fails-to-get-rid-of-service-10190407.html

Also in the Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/furious-sky-customer-spends-96-5554219

It doesn't appear to be a new problem....January 2014
    The customers appeared to confirm that Sky often asks for additional security information, even if every detail available has been provided. In previous cases put to the company by The Telegraph, Sky failed to explain what additional information was required.

Looks like company policy rather than a mishap or over zealous sales people?

Might explain why recently in the accounts Sky was praised for reducing 'churn'.
    In the UK churn fell to 10% at the end of the second quarter to December 31, 2014. It’s the best performance since 2013.

Also, didn't I read on Digital Spy that Sky had changed the terms of their contract and introduced an admin charge for non-payment of Direct Debit?
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some experience of how to cancel easily:

Simply tell them that you have taken a new job overseas and will no longer be in the UK.

I did this when I moved abroad many years ago. There is nothing they can offer to keep you as it is not permitted to be a subscriber outside of the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    colly_tyg wrote: »

Simply tell them that you have taken a new job overseas and will no longer be in the UK.

I did this when I moved abroad many years ago. There is nothing they can offer to keep you as it is not permitted to be a subscriber outside of the UK.

Err..their special German or Italian promotion. :)
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although if you say this in the live chat then presumably "Rachael" the operator will start trying to get you to reconsider your relocation plans and tell you all the things Britain has that other countries don't and build you a new life package :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    Although if you say this in the live chat then presumably "Rachael" the operator will start trying to get you to reconsider your relocation plans and tell you all the things Britain has that other countries don't and build you a new life package :D

And throw in a free funeral with a memorial plaque sponsored by Sky.
  • Options
    ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This; just in case you change your mind (could be awkward explaining you had faked your own death in order to cancel).
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    And throw in a free funeral with a memorial plaque sponsored by Sky.

Funeral to be PPV, not on Pick TV. :D
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    I had a similarly long-winded experience a couple of weeks ago with Sky when I decided to have a whinge at them about the latest price rise. I went in saying I was going to cancel, but after 90 (yes!) minutes I actually had my bill basically halved for the next year.

I had no intention of actually leaving really anyway :D;-)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, didn't I read on Digital Spy that Sky had changed the terms of their contract and introduced an admin charge for non-payment of Direct Debit?

Could you tell Sky that you will charging for your time and billing them afterwards. There is no reason why it should take that long to cancel a contract so why should they not pay for your time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Could you tell Sky that you will charging for your time and billing them afterwards. There is no reason why it should take that long to cancel a contract so why should they not pay for your time?

I did that last year with an Energy company and received £100.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I did that last year with an Energy company and received £100.

There was the case of the chap getting junk telephone calls so told the company that if they called again then he would bill them for his time. That was considered a contract in the small claims court and they had to pay.

Many years ago I was having problems with one company so told them (in a letter) that I would be billing them £20 an hour for any time spent corresponding with them - that was when £20 was worth more than now! It seem to concentrate their mind and get a response.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would think this would be clear-cut and a massive fine going Skys way.

But regulators are such nice people these days, willing to give any company a second chance...

Until a £250k fine is automatic for such quasi-mafia behaviour companies like Sky will just carry on doing it.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I have cancelled numerous contracts and moved numerous times on mobile deals

and i never get the issues people talk about

I think its that people arent strong on the phone and the tone of their voice is almost submissive so the agent tries to persuade them to stay

but im often acused of being a bit loud blunt and "aggressive" on the phone by people

my advise is to just say I want to cancel my contract and im giving you my notice

and if they ask why, just keep repeating it
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I cancelled Sky last year, it was literally one phone call that lasted about 5 minutes. They offered me some deals to stay, I said no and that was it!
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you just have phone and broadband with Sky and want to change provider, at the end of your contract you simply set up with another provider and they do all the legwork and you never have to contact Sky at all?
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think Sky are bad.... try leaving '3' !! :o

I've managed to leave 2 contracts with 3 Mobile without any problems
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a similar one trying to leave O2 (on a sim-only month by month deal) to move to giffgaff (for a very similar deal at half the price). As the agent on the web chat started telling me about how O2's network was better than any other networks, I took great pleasure in informing her that giffgaff was an MVNO running off O2! There were other gems in that conversation - so much so, that I saved the log to have a chuckle at later... :D

They might not be totally wrong - MVNOs can have different "priorities" on the network, and it's often rumoured that O2 do exactly that - Tesco/O2 contract customers get top priority, Tesco/O2 PAYG next, and giffgaff users get the scraps.

Given how poor the service is (especially since the O2 network is not a masterpiece) it wouldn't be surprising if that was true
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be a catch up consumer rights law that says:

"The customer MUST be able to cancel his arrangement/subscription with you in EXACTLY the same was as they are able to sign up."

It would mean that if you can take out a product with 5 minutes action on the internet you should be able to cancel it the same way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    You would think this would be clear-cut and a massive fine going Skys way.

But regulators are such nice people these days, willing to give any company a second chance...

Until a £250k fine is automatic for such quasi-mafia behaviour companies like Sky will just carry on doing it.

All too often with OFCOM it is a second chance, third chance etc.

It should be an immediate warning when they learn of the practice then a huge fine for a company as big as Sky. Custodial sentence for someone senior if the practice not stopped.

Or they could try the Chinese way!
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancelling the Direct Debit was the last resort.

As I said, 3 lengthy calls only to be given the same lie each time (systems gone down, we will phone you back).

Obviously they chased me for the payment and I paid it straight away (I owed it after all).

I phoned them to pay it and pointed out what had happened. They never questioned it and accepted the final payment. Job done. :D
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is one of the things I said, I know writing a letter is unfashionable these days, but its solid and concrete, 30 days notice, get it signed for, and then after the cancellation period, stop DD ...sorted with no phone call,

Yes, it works wonders! After getting the runaround over a failed broadband connection ("Have you checked that your router is plugged in?":rolleyes:), I sent the ISP a guaranteed next-day-delivery letter insisting that they sorted it out. They couldn't get in touch with me quickly enough!

(Adding "cc: 'Bloggs & Bloggs', Solicitors" (but their real name) might have helped, too.)
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    In this situation on the phone when I know retentions are trying everything they can, I repeatedly talk over them, telling them my wishes/intent. I refuse to answer any irrelevant questions. No way I would be on the phone for 90 minutes!