Options

Area with most analog terrestrial channels

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
Forum Member
Prior to its switch off a few years ago, which area in the UK was able to receive the most analog stations? This includes foreign overspill networks, RSL stations and different BBC/ITV regions. My known record currently stands at 10 in Strabane, which could in the 2000s get the 5 British channels, a local station (C9TV), and four Irish channels. Were there any places that could get more (what about Belfast, North Wales or Dover)?

For most areas, what number of available slots could you find? Would you just find the local versions of the national 4/5 stations, or also find regional variants and poor quality picture local stations?

In addition, if Ofcom also hadn't charged such huge fees for a broadcasting licence, how many channels could have theoretically been broadcast on the PAL analog platform? The tuning range goes from 21 to 68 (47), but due to overspill from various transmitters, what number would have actually been possible through the air?

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viewers in the Bristol Channel area could receive:

BBC 1 Wales
    BBC 1 West
    TWW Wales
    TWW General Service
    Westward
    ATV
    and in some places Southern TV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What was TWW, ATV and Westward? All ITV variants, or were some RSL channels? Also, are there any old coverage maps showing the overlaps of channels?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prior to its switch off a few years ago, which area in the UK was able to receive the most analog stations? This includes foreign overspill networks, RSL stations and different BBC/ITV regions. My known record currently stands at 10 in Strabane, which could in the 2000s get the 5 British channels, a local station (C9TV), and four Irish channels. Were there any places that could get more (what about Belfast, North Wales or Dover)?

For most areas, what number of available slots could you find? Would you just find the local versions of the national 4/5 stations, or also find regional variants and poor quality picture local stations?

In addition, if Ofcom also hadn't charged such huge fees for a broadcasting licence, how many channels could have theoretically been broadcast on the PAL analog platform? The tuning range goes from 21 to 68 (47), but due to overspill from various transmitters, what number would have actually been possible through the air?

If bands 1 & 3 had been used then 1 or 2 extra channels could have been fitted in like in Ireland.

Swindon is one place I know that could get different regions at one point, it might still be possible even now in the right places.
    The regions are HTV West, Oxford for what was central, Meridian so that would have been 3 BBC and 3 ITV regions with channel 4, channel 5 and BBC 2 which I suppose was also regionalised on analogue 11 different positions to tune into!

I think it is still possible to get both Oxford and Mendip in Swindon other regions might be too weak now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was TWW, ATV and Westward? All ITV variants, or were some RSL channels? Also, are there any old coverage maps showing the overlaps of channels?

I was going back to the good old VHF days - they were all ITV contractors, TWW had Wales and the west, Westward Plymouth and ATV the Midlands. Southern came from Southampton. There was also a company called Teledu Cymru which broadcast to west and north Wales but went bust after it was discovered most of their potential viewers were sheep.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parts of Bolton could receive all 5 analogue services from Winter Hill, Emley Moor and Moel-y-Parc plus Channel M.
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting topic!

What about French, Belgian or even Dutch channels in Kent or Sussex? I've heard that British channels could be picked up in Holland, so it should have been possible the other way round...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    Very interesting topic!

What about French, Belgian or even Dutch channels in Kent or Sussex? I've heard that British channels could be picked up in Holland, so it should have been possible the other way round...?

Holland and Belgium are extensively cabled and BBC1 and 2 are available on all the cable networks, also in parts of northern France and Spain.I used to stay regularly in a hotel in Calais which had BBC but not ITV. One day I asked why they didn't have ITV. ''No-one has ever asked for it'' I was told
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know... But from what I've heard, the cable companies were (or are?) only allowed to carry the BBC channels because the terrestrial signal could be picked up at some point in the country. There was/is a similar situation with Swiss & Austrian channels in southern Germany, and with Dutch channels in western Germany - but these have now been kicked out by the cable companies in most regions, due to rights restrictions.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many places in Northern Ireland could get RTE 1 and 2 plus the Five UK channels. Were TG4 and TV 3 ever on analogue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hotel in Calais had C4 and C5 but not ITV.
  • Options
    Katharine_RangeKatharine_Range Posts: 2,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine being on the Isle Of Man, which I know only officially has a Freeview Lite service but can unofficially get terrestrial transmissions from Winter Hill transmitter, Moel Y Pac transmitter, some transmitter in Northern Ireland and some from Republic Of Ireland too!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We only had the five here, Tv was better than than it is now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    We only had the five here, Tv was better than than it is now.

How was it better? :confused:
  • Options
    Zep45Zep45 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I used to stay regularly in a hotel in Calais which had BBC but not ITV. One day I asked why they didn't have ITV. ''No-one has ever asked for it'' I was told

I wonder why no one asked for ITV

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zep45 wrote: »

I would steer clear of it just for Ninja Warrior UK! :eek:
  • Options
    David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zep45 wrote: »

Because most people who stay in hotels accept the channels they get and do not ask for others, Have you ever stayed in a hotel and made a request at reception for different TV channels to what are provided
  • Options
    David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Google ITV history you might find it interesting
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated watching things on Analogue as some times pictures would get really snowy living on the coast here.
    It did not effect the old analog satellite so much but that never had channels BBC 1 , ITV , or 4 on.
    Also when Five started it were also very snowy until the digital switch over and now signals 100% most the time even being able to get London CP much better now & Dover transmitters.
    The picture is just far better on both satellite & freeview these days and no more VHS tapes.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few places can/could get three different ITV/BBC regions.

South Lincs, North Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk - Central/BBC East Midlands, Anglia/BBC East, Yorkshire/BBC North

South Essex & North Kent - Carlton/LWT/BBC London, Meridian/BBC South East, Anglia/BBC East

Parts of Berkshire & North Hampshire - Meridian/BBC South, Carlton/LWT/BBC London, Central/BBC Oxford

Wrexham/South Cheshire area - Granada/BBC North West, Central/BBC Midlands, HTV/BBC Wales

Luton/Dunstable/Aylesbury area - Anglia/BBC East, Carlton/LWT/BBC London, Central/BBC Oxford

Northampton - Central West/BBC Midlands, Central East/BBC East Midlands, Central South/BBC Oxford plus Anglia/BBC East
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What was ATV ? :o ... :)
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    How was it better? :confused:

Because quantity does not equal quality. Nowadays most channels are very poor in quality. ITV, for example, was more innovative and interesting than it is now.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    swills wrote: »
    What was ATV ? :o ... :)

ATV or Associated TeleVision provided ITV to the Midlands from Birmingham before Central took over the franchise. It also provided ITV to London during the weekends in the early days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ATV or Associated TeleVision provided ITV to the Midlands from Birmingham before Central took over the franchise. It also provided ITV to London during the weekends in the early days.

When ATV became Central it had to move its production base to Birmingham so soid off the Elstree studios to the BBC who made it the home of EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    If bands 1 & 3 had been used then 1 or 2 extra channels could have been fitted in like in Ireland.

Swindon is one place I know that could get different regions at one point, it might still be possible even now in the right places.
    The regions are HTV West, Oxford for what was central, Meridian so that would have been 3 BBC and 3 ITV regions with channel 4, channel 5 and BBC 2 which I suppose was also regionalised on analogue 11 different positions to tune into!

I think it is still possible to get both Oxford and Mendip in Swindon other regions might be too weak now.

I think you're right on saying that. Here in West Swindon we get our signal from Mendip, and was always (analog) noise free. I have a memory that back when analog was operating, we could get a weak Oxford signal, however none of the others. Probably not helped that our aerial pointed at Mendip!

On a similar topic, does anyone remember where could get the fewest channels in the UK? I'd be guessing somewhere in Wales, the Pennines, the Peak District or Scotland. Wikipedia claims that 99% could get 4 channels, but where is somewhere that got fewer?
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On a similar topic, does anyone remember where could get the fewest channels in the UK? I'd be guessing somewhere in Wales, the Pennines, the Peak District or Scotland. Wikipedia claims that 99% could get 4 channels, but where is somewhere that got fewer?

AFAIK nowhere. I think by the late 80s all the relays carried the main four channels.