Fifth Harmony Discussion Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Fuse TV talks about Fifth Harmony and meeting Macklemore (post is 2 days late, sorry!) :o

https://player.vimeo.com/video/78761681
    Forum Member
    Video where Kelly Rowland gives big praise to new girl group and talks about how there's no girlgroup that has tapped into the market in years. (start video at 3:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTgmpE9jW1Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Forum Member
    Confirmed: Fifth Harmony will perform on the X Factor USA next Thursday.

"@camilacabello97: WE'RE PERFORMING ON X FACTOR NEXT WEEK AND IM GOING TO HAVE HEART PALPITATIONS SO MANY TIMES FOR SO MANY REASONS"

I want to point out a few things. The show has been horrible this season with almost everything. They screwed up the voting for Wednesday night's show which led to contestants having to perform again on Thursday night and fans having to vote again. Yesterday's viewers only had 3.5 million tuned in. That's an all time low. My guess is that the show will be cancelled after this season. Simon has mentioned nothing of a new season for next year and this is usually the time where he announces it. Selena's performance will also air on Thursday's results show which may screw things up for 5H. Mary J Blige is also performing on that same show. So, as much as i am looking forward to the girls returning to the X Factor stage we should not expect it to have much of an impact if any at all for Better Together (song). The single is still lacking a music video and no add date for radio has been confirmed. It could be in December. Time will tell.
    Forum Member
    Fifth Harmony Inspires Patients at Ryan Seacrest's Studios https://twitter.com/OnAirWithRyan/status/398912568959307776
    Forum Member
    Confirmed: VEVOLIFT campaign begins next Monday for Fifth Harmony :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGEAqm_eNs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Forum Member
    Lana Del Rey's pianist just tweeted about the girls cover of "American"!

"@MrBironic: Just watched this group Fifth Harmony's version of Lana's "American".. Loved it! Somebody tell them I said so..."
    Forum Member
    ^^^ Here's a short video message he had for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThQUox88Jws&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Forum Member
    Fifth Harmony performing the National Anthem for Nascar 200

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9-Dy7JhKcA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EP down from 2 to 80 this week. :eek:
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    EP down from 2 to 80 this week. :eek:

That's expected tbh. Its different from an album. EPs are more of a "sample" therefore tend to sell less. They don't get the same marketing or media push that an album does. People are less willing to pay for 6 tracks than they are for a full length album. Retail stores also only have about 7 copies each (Walmart, Best Buy, Target, etc) and those dry up quick. Anyway, I could go on and on about why EPs sell less than albums but I'll stop here. The girls have stated their debut album will be released in early 2014. That should get full blown promo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the girls are at the age where they would do well if they had a show on Disney or Nickelodeon. I think that would help with their music and promo.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I think the girls are at the age where they would do well if they had a show on Disney or Nickelodeon. I think that would help with their music and promo.

I completely agree to an extent. They're very talented and I've yet to see a group especially at their age to possess the vocal ability they have. They're outstanding.

However I don't think they should have their own show, yet anyway, as that'd take quite a bit of time to film. I'm more than happy for them to appear on a Disney or Nick show as a 'new group performing' on one of the existing shows. I think 1D did the same on a Nickelodeon show. It would be very beneficial if it did happen. The VEVO Lift campaign kicks off this week so it'll be interesting to see what effect it has too. Right now it's all the girls and their fanbase working as Epic have proven to be incompetent. I do think Simon will negotiate a new deal elsewhere for them as he can see Epic aren't giving them the push needed.
    Forum Member

I agree 100%. At the moment, they actually have the support from both. Nick picked them as performers to celebrate the start of their new radio station. They also post interviews and play their music videos on TeenNick Top 10 as well as playing their songs on their iheart radio station. As for Disney, well they've been supporting the girls from day 1. The girls were their first "Next Big Thing" artist for the year which includes promo across Radio Disney, Disney Channel, Blogs, etc. The girls' 2nd single "Me and My Girls" was a Disney exclusive for that reason. They own the rights to it. I do believe a show on either of their networks would be great! It'd be a good idea until they beome adults. Their fans will grow with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's expected tbh. Its different from an album. EPs are more of a "sample" therefore tend to sell less. They don't get the same marketing or media push that an album does. People are less willing to pay for 6 tracks than they are for a full length album. Retail stores also only have about 7 copies each (Walmart, Best Buy, Target, etc) and those dry up quick. Anyway, I could go on and on about why EPs sell less than albums but I'll stop here. The girls have stated their debut album will be released in early 2014. That should get full blown promo.

Thanks. I know what an EP is and how it works but I am sure that the record label was not hoping for such a sharp drop. Especially when album sales are not terrific at the moment. Anyway, the girls have proven they have a fanbase there to get a #2 debut. I am sure the label will do a better job with the album.
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I know what an EP is and how it works but I am sure that the record label was not hoping for such a sharp drop. Especially when album sales are not terrific at the moment. Anyway, the girls have proven they have a fanbase there to get a #2 debut. I am sure the label will do a better job with the next album.

To be fair. Epic understocked the EP in a lot of stores and they were asking fans to tell them which stores have sold out the EP so they can distribute it to those stores. What a mess. But yeah they did do well considering XFUSA is a complete flop. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A kids TV show? :eek: I know they are young, but it's a terrible idea imo. The result of that would in all likelihood be more 'Me & My Girls' type tracks catered for a tween Nickelodeon watching crowd. Don't you think they are a bit better than that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    To be fair. Epic understocked the EP in a lot of stores and they were asking fans to tell them which stores have sold out the EP so they can distribute it to those stores. What a mess. But yeah they did do well considering XFUSA is a complete flop. :)

I am pretty sure that digital album sales have overtaken CDs in the US. But that is pretty poor of Epic with regards to physical copies.
    Forum Member
    Tim_A wrote: »
    A kids TV show? :eek: I know they are young, but it's a terrible idea imo. The result of that would in all likelihood be more 'Me & My Girls' type tracks catered for a tween Nickelodeon watching crowd. Don't you think they are a bit better than that?

I think a show just for them would be an irrational idea. But if you read back what I said was for them to make an appearance one of these shows as a 'new girl group'. 1D did the same thing with that Miranda Crosgrove show...:) + This formula worked for NSYNC too.
    I am pretty sure that digital album sales have overtaken CDs in the US. But that is pretty poor of Epic with regards to physical copies.

I would have thought so too but apparently physicals often outweigh digital sales and that would have made a difference in total sales for the EP, in all honesty. :(
    Forum Member

It varies by artist. For the most part, physical sales remain the dominant force behind album sales in the US. Their EP was actually #3 in digital sales for the week of its release but as we can see they were hurt by the undershipment of physical copies to retail stores by Epic.
    Forum Member

I don't think a TV show with Nick or Disney would ever happen to be honest. I wouldn't worry. As someone else mentioned NSYNC had Disney support when they first started out and they went on to become huge. In fact, they stated in an interview that their televised Disney concert was their breakout moment. Their music skyrocketed on the Billboard Charts for weeks after it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At the moment, no.

I feel that they haven't yet found their sound hence the release of an EP. I do see the potential as I do believe they have great voices, but for some reason I don't think they work well as a group YET and all I see is five solo singers. Like I said, I do think their is potential however time and growth is on their side.

I think they need to spend more time together, performing etc. I don't see no harm in a TV show. They are ages 16-17, with one being 20 and they have great personalities. It will at least get their faces out there.

I mean, it's worked for the likes of Ariana Grande. I really liked her debut.
    Forum Member
    At the moment, no.

I feel that they haven't yet found their sound hence the release of an EP. I do see the potential as I do believe they have great voices, but for some reason I don't think they work well as a group YET and all I see is five solo singers. Like I said, I do think their is potential however time and growth is on their side.

I think they need to spend more time together, performing etc. I don't see no harm in a TV show. They are ages 16-17, with one being 20 and they have great personalities. It will at least get their faces out there.

I mean, it's worked for the likes of Ariana Grande. I really liked her debut.

I beg to differ. I think they work exceptionally well as a group. There is no lead singer in this group that's why a lot of people assume they don't work well as a group. They're all exceptional vocalists and that's a rarity in most groups these days.

As proven by this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQXOf0YgW4

But I do agree they still need to find their own sound. Funny you mentioned Ariana Grande, I hope their sound is more like the type of Music Ariana makes. Here's a cover of Honeymoon Avenue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ-b7uF6rLw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    I beg to differ. I think they work exceptionally well as a group. There is no lead singer in this group that's why a lot of people assume they don't work well as a group. They're all exceptional vocalists and that's a rarity in most groups these days.

As proven by this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVQXOf0YgW4

But I do agree they still need to find their own sound. Funny you mentioned Ariana Grande, I hope their sound is more like the type of Music Ariana makes. Here's a cover of Honeymoon Avenue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ-b7uF6rLw

A lead singer is not needed for them to work well as a group. It's not just vocals, it's image, performance, stage presence, how they come across and I just see them as five girls that have been 'put together' who are just seeing where it goes, rather than seeing them as a group of friends/girls promoting girl power or whatever they do these days, however that's just my opinion. Maybe that will come in time and they do have time to grow as they are still young.

I did like this acoustic of me and my girls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV4HZLGAzPw love the harmonies.

Edit: I watched their cover a while back. It was good..not Ariana level but still good :p
    Forum Member
    A lead singer is not needed for them to work well as a group. It's not just vocals, it's image, performance, stage presence, how they come across and I just see them as five girls that have been 'put together' who are just seeing where it goes, rather than seeing them as a group of friends/girls promoting girl power or whatever they do these days, however that's just my opinion. Maybe that will come in time and they do have time to grow as they are still young.

I did like this acoustic of me and my girls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV4HZLGAzPw love the harmonies.

Edit: I watched their cover a while back. It was good..not Ariana level but still good :p

That's true to some extent but I don't get how people cannot see their chemistry or their friendship. But I agree they need to work on image and stage presence, this is something I too have made a comment on in the past couple of days to some Harmonizers. Who agreed as well.

I'm glad we can have a friendly discussion. At least you're giving them a chance some Mixers refuse to even acknowledge their existence but the majority are just very rude about them. :o