The filipino lady with the sob story

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
Forum Member
Is it just me or was she really not that good a singer after all? The audience seemed to go nuts for her but I thought her singing very poor.

She would have been slaughtered at an X Factor audition. I thought the nearest to an honest comment was when Simon said she had picked up some bad habits from singing in the clubs. Presumably he held back from his usual caustic remarks because she was obviously getting such sympathy from the crowd.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holden was in tears - says it all really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    i thought she had quite a good voice, but the sob story got her through. the show should be called "britain's got sob stories" because it seems to matter more than the talent.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    My Mum couldn't stand her either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claret Zip wrote: »
    Is it just me or was she really not that good a singer after all? The audience seemed to go nuts for her but I thought her singing very poor.

She would have been slaughtered at an X Factor audition. I thought the nearest to an honest comment was when Simon said she had picked up some bad habits from singing in the clubs. Presumably he held back from his usual caustic remarks because she was obviously getting such sympathy from the crowd.

No it wasn't just you as I didn't think she was that good either. My theory is that the audience see some absolute rubbish (that we don't get to see) and so when anyone halfway decent comes on they go mad with relief and possibly over re-act. As you say she would have been crucified on the x-factor.
  • talksporttalksport Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I thought she was a poor singer, she won't win the show.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought she was good but I fell for her sob story...:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mum couldn't stand her either.

Always listen to your mother! :D
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I thought she was good but she won't win the show, there are more talented people than her IMO (Scala, Andrew Jonston, the dog, Bendy Girl etc).
  • LoubeeLoubee Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't see the problem with the sob stories, after all, amidst all the general hilarity of BGT, there are some people who come on under make-or-break situations. Besides, I appreciate knowing a little bit about each act so I can tell them apart, that's what's wrong for me with X Factor, far too many individuals with not enough information about them - so I find it difficult to care. Ok, so Madonna (Filipino lady) didn't wow me either, but I could tell that she had a good voice, as Simon pointed out she's picked up bad habits and needs to cultivate her style more. I reckon she could be really good though (oh, and I didn't like Scala. Talented - yes, but boring!). Variety is the spice of life!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought she was absolute cods wallop, my mate was going on like she was the second christ, i thought she was crap!!!!
  • matt6667matt6667 Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder if she had permission from the visa people to sing and work in the UK.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she'll win, in any case.
    They seemed to steer clear of overdoing the sob stories this week, didn't they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that she was largely helped by her story, because when you watch it again, she's not brilliant. Her "voice explosion" or whatever they call it is very bad. But that could be down to her crying. I don't know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sob story or not, i've sang better after a night on the lash..:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sob story or not, i've sang better after a night on the lash..:D

Brilliant!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Loubee wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with the sob stories, after all, amidst all the general hilarity of BGT, there are some people who come on under make-or-break situations. Besides, I appreciate knowing a little bit about each act so I can tell them apart, that's what's wrong for me with X Factor, far too many individuals with not enough information about them - so I find it difficult to care.

Wow! Seriously, have we been watching the same programmes?

I love the X factor but even I was getting totally exasperated with the last series as the necessity of the sob story seemed to take over the show. It seemed like every act had to have something to make you feel sorry for them.

Daughter and I watch BGT avidly but at the slightest hint of serious music we are both going "Oh no, oh no sob story alert!"

IMO they are in danger of ruining the whole format of these shows by this obsession with a sob story.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with you Claret, last series of X Factor became ridiculous - especially when they even made the smiley smiley girl from Same Difference dredge up a sob story.
    By comparison, BGT is quite tame - as I said earlier, they barely had a sob story last night.
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    All Phillipinos can sing, it's a truly incredible ability this race of people have, like the welsh. In the Phillipines, the Robertson Malls, have Kari-o-kee competitions every week, and the talent is mind blowing.

If Simon Cowell went over there, he'd have no reason to look for talent in any other country every again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    matt6667 wrote: »
    Wonder if she had permission from the visa people to sing and work in the UK.
    LMAO.:D

Now if she can get some publicity stills of her sat looking forlorn in her detention centre ... now that really would be her trump card!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,173
    Forum Member

me too