Options

Alternate Universe James Bond 007

2»

Comments

• Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember that prior to Daniel Craig being announced in the role, Clive Owen was mooted as a possible candidate. I would have loved to see what he might have done with it. I certainly think he would have been as good as Craig.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    BIB: Idris played Mandela, would it have made sense for Ray Winston to play Mandela? Bond is a white upper class type of guy, way its always been. Plenty of white actors that couldnt do it as well, they need to look a certain way.

If they were to cast a black man (or why not a woman if continuity is out the window), then I still think Idris would be a poor choice. The man is a great actor for sure, but he isnt right for the role. Ray Winston couldnt play Mandela and he sure as shite couldnt play Bond either. Actors cannot work in every role, they have a style. The only ones that can do everything are often crap blank actors (like Keanu Reeves. I would rather Flavor Flav play bond that no mark Keanu)

i agree that most actors have a specific range , but i put it to you that mr elba's is far far far more versatile and wide than mr winstones , they shouldn't even be in the same sentence .

ray was good in minder , he was perfect in scum , he was great in the sweeny and to love honour and obey ,,,,,,,,,,,, he was awful in indiana jones , passable in the departed , terrible in robin hood (series) ,,,,,, totally wank in that mel gibson film i cant remember the name of.

his comfort range is cockney hard bastard , and he does it very well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but if he tries anything else he's awful .

idris would do bond justice imo

then of course you have top tier actors like daniel day lewis , that with enough time preparation , ,,,,,,, can turn their talent into astounding performances in any role ,,,,,,,,,,,,, im not joking when i say with makeup etc he COULD play mandela lol , or a woman etc ,,,,,,,, he simply immerse's himself in the character .
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I seem to remember that prior to Daniel Craig being announced in the role, Clive Owen was mooted as a possible candidate. I would have loved to see what he might have done with it. I certainly think he would have been as good as Craig.

Clive Owen was my personal favourite to succeed Brosnan; there was even talk of Henry Cavill taking over the role, even though he was only in his early 20s at the time. However, having seen how wonderful Craig is in the role I think they certainly made the right choice.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Clive Owen was my personal favourite to succeed Brosnan; there was even talk of Henry Cavill taking over the role, even though he was only in his early 20s at the time. However, having seen how wonderful Craig is in the role I think they certainly made the right choice.

I think owen only got flagged for the role because he wore a dj in the film croupier.

Apart from that...a decent actor but does not have the rugged good looks, does not strike you as someone who could kill at the drop of a hat, and just a bit too schoolboyish...more suited to drama.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think owen only got flagged for the role because he wore a dj in the film croupier.

Apart from that...a decent actor but does not have the rugged good looks, does not strike you as someone who could kill at the drop of a hat, and just a bit too schoolboyish...more suited to drama.

yes , well watch the (killers i think its called) with clive owen , jason statham and robert de nero,,,,, it will change your perception of clive owen , he's a propper ruthless hard bastard in it
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    yes , well watch the (killers i think its called) with clive owen , jason statham and robert de nero,,,,, it will change your perception of clive owen , he's a propper ruthless hard bastard in it

Killer Elite .
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I thought Owen was good too as one of the assassins in The Bourne Identity. I think he would have done a good job. Not taking anything away from Daniel Craig as I think he has done great, but Clive Owen would have been my first choice.
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    i see what your saying ,,, sort of ,,, but does it really matter ,,,,, james's bond could have easily been black growing up before joining up with the raf etc etc

:eek: You mean Royal Navy...he is after all a man of style and sophistication. Having a black actor play him is one thing but the RAF...
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    At one point in his career Hugh Grant could have played the role..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Hmm... can't see Hugh Grant ever being right in the role... Simon Templar/Brett Sinclair, yes definitely. But Bond?