Horse racing tv rights post 2016

2»

Comments

• Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-Tel wrote: »
    When you consider what fills the main ITV channel on a Saturday afternoon, this is an option ITV should seriously consider. The problem with investing in a football preview and results service is of course that it would be in direct competition with the BBC and Sky - and be bound to lose. To make a credible Grandstand-style programme, but also cost-effective, maybe on-screen goalflashes and a skeletal results round-up would suffice.

If the rest of the content was generated from rights which ITV already hold and they managed to do some good business in acquiring others, then why wouldn't they want to do it? At least it would be a point of difference for them I remember Granada used to have their own regional two-hour sports slot on a Saturday afternoon, Granada Sport (also shown on Border) - but within content originating from further afield.

The trouble is, a lot of the content would be highlights of stuff that's nearly a week old - the previous Sunday's touring cars, Moto GP highlights, and secondary boxing rights bought in from the USA or via a secondary arrangement with, say, Box Nation. That sort of thing would've been fine 30 or even 20 years ago, but is there really be that much demand for highlights of sporting events that are nearly a week old these days?

As for a new 'On the Ball', if done well it would wipe the floor with Football Focus, which has looked stale for a long time. A 'Results Service' would also be affordable - Skype, audio only reports from grounds between 4:40pm and 5pm.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Would a Scottish "YES" mean that the Scottish racetracks would have to break from the RUK racetracks.
    They would have a very limited set of options to sell the rights to.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    The trouble is, a lot of the content would be highlights of stuff that's nearly a week old - the previous Sunday's touring cars, Moto GP highlights, and secondary boxing rights bought in from the USA or via a secondary arrangement with, say, Box Nation. That sort of thing would've been fine 30 or even 20 years ago, but is there really be that much demand for highlights of sporting events that are nearly a week old these days?

As for a new 'On the Ball', if done well it would wipe the floor with Football Focus, which has looked stale for a long time. A 'Results Service' would also be affordable - Skype, audio only reports from grounds between 4:40pm and 5pm.

ITV no longer has no infrastructure to cover all the matches.
    They used to - but when they slashed the regional TV output a few years back, then sports coverage suffered.
    The BBC can use their local BBC radio commentators to provide updates for the lower league matches.
    ITV has no regional presence for TV and not all commercial radio stations do football coverage.
    They would have to invest by putting their own people at the matches and provide high quality audio feeds.
    You cannot do it by having someone in the crowd with a mobile.
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    ITV no longer has no infrastructure to cover all the matches.
    They used to - but when they slashed the regional TV output a few years back, then sports coverage suffered.
    The BBC can use their local BBC radio commentators to provide updates for the lower league matches.
    ITV has no regional presence for TV and not all commercial radio stations do football coverage.
    They would have to invest by putting their own people at the matches and provide high quality audio feeds.
    You cannot do it by having someone in the crowd with a mobile.

sky have and do frequently use IRN presenters at matches, freelances and 'people on mobiles' to do lower league reporting - on occasion i think this was done to give a feel [it wasn't] but its still common practice. plus the costs are smaller than you think for 35 reporters [if you wanted everything on a standard weekend covering] using skype / mobile / ISDN

back on topic, yes AYR [today] and other courses would need a new tv deal - but the contract would be set to continue, it would just be the contract that was amended so although 'separate' it wouldn't be a new deal per se.

it also sounds like next time round it may well be *meetings* > *days* > *races* allowing for the sale of for example 2 days of ascot or cheltenham to one and or the 'full / rest of' being sold too, just like when ITV "had" to show races on 'list A' in the past

I'm still a big advocate of non exclusivity on the 'minor' list A events but for a minimum price, set buy government / ofcom / CMS based on costs and perceived market value on a year by year basis

i've mentioned this on here before but it works on the basis of exclusive FTA (as is) = £25 shared FTA = £10 per broadcaster.

FTA & PTV = £15 for sole FTA broadcaster; but you MUST come with a PTV partner who will be paying a minimum of 3/4 on top of the FTA & PTV combined price of £15 by the PTV for sharing. (total £26.25)

so if you want the Derby on your side FTA its going to cost you £25 ex; £10 to share with another 1 or more FTA, or £15 if you share with PTV

whoever puts together the best presentation gets the rights, authority also has the right to decline or ask for improvements in a bid before exclusivity is given, joint bids judged in similar way - with the ability of the rights giver to decline a bid from a channel not meeting their requirements.

channels not on the list of allowed channels under the law would have to bid as a PTV even if they are 'FTV' in the uk.

and no ATR & RUK would either have to bid or not show these events
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy_d77 wrote: »
    sky have and do frequently use IRN presenters at matches, freelances and 'people on mobiles' to do lower league reporting - on occasion i think this was done to give a feel [it wasn't] but its still common practice. plus the costs are smaller than you think for 35 reporters [if you wanted everything on a standard weekend covering] using skype / mobile / ISDN

As another poster has said, it wouldn't be all that expensive really, for the reasons they describe. Even during the World of Sport/Results Service years, they didn't really use the regional structure - they just sent the network reporters to big games (Clive Tyldesley and Gabriel Clarke were used a great deal during the latter years of 'Results Service').

Things were different during the Football First/ Goalrush years when the IRN/ commercial radio reporters were used a lot. However, IRN still send reporters to matches, so that would be an option. Commercial radio has dropped sports coverage in many, though by no means all areas.

This is all theoretical stuff because I can't see it actually happening, but sending five reporters to key Premier League games for a 'down the line' round-up at 4:40pm would be all that's needed if a 'World of Sport' type programme was to return, or they could use the system I've described above. The ITV regional structure was only really relevant during the Central/Granada Goals Extra period, when they sent local news reporters and actually showed goals from the Football League.However, the chances of such a programme actually happening are tiny.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »

I don't watch or listen to either, but I believe many of Final Score's reporters at League One and Two and Scottish Premiership games "double up" as it were and update the games they are covering for BBC Radio 5 Live as well.

In the past, some of talkSPORT's reporters at Division One/Championship games on Saturday afternoons would "double up" on either Soccer Saturday or The Goal Rush. I don't believe this happens any more though, the majority of reporters who would do this (John Temple is one who springs to mind) back in the 2000s are rarely heard on talkSPORT's Matchday Live programme these days.
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where have you seen this? I'm sure if the BBC were invited to tender for the racing contract from 2017 onwards they would bid. The Grand National, for example, would fall under their business model of broadcasting "events which bring the nation together".

Barbara slater
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    The BBC in my opinion shouldn't be spending money on sport that is already on terrestrial TV bar live football (which has been sparse in the last few years on their channels).

I don't see ITV going in any horse racing as it's not exactly a ratings winner. I suspect that ITV will plug the hole left in it's sports portfolio with highlights packages and maybe live boxing which would be a good fit for ITV4.

Racing will likely stay on Channel 4 unless Channel Five suddenly get the urge to bid.

I think racing on Channel 5 would give the station a massive boost and also would see the end of ancient Columbo repeats.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think racing on Channel 5 would give the station a massive boost and also would see the end of ancient Columbo repeats.

Columbo probably gets higher ratings which is what has killed off the midweek coverage on C4
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy_d77 wrote: »
    Where have you seen this? I'm sure if the BBC were invited to tender for the racing contract from 2017 onwards they would bid. The Grand National, for example, would fall under their business model of broadcasting "events which bring the nation together".

Barbara slater

In April 2012, a month after the loss of the Grand National and the Derby to C4, she said that "the BBC made a competitive bid, but racing opted to go with a single broadcaster"

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/apr/26/bbc-chief-commitment-big-events

However, in February 2014, she said she had no regrets, but stated that the Beeb's approach to racing was "to cover "crown jewel events", but that maybe wouldn't work for everyone"

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/feb/05/bbc-barbara-slater-free-to-air-tv-sochi

Nothing to say that the BBC won't return to the table if invited to tender. But one thing the powers that be in racing must not do is make the mistake that the ECB did in around 2001 by awarding C4 and Sky a 3-year extension to the cricket contract which began in 1992 and initially expired in 2002, without putting it out to tender. That turned out to be the beginning of the end of live cricket on FTA television as the people responsible of bringing cricket to C4 had all moved on and the relevant new chiefs at C4 started to faff around with the coverage (moving start times was the main one).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't ever see a return to the type of coverage racing had on terrestrial TV 20/30 years ago, for example this week the Craven meeting and the Cheltenham jumps card would have been on C4 or BBC and now it's shown on RUK.

Apart from the likes of Cheltenham festival, Royal Ascot and the likes of Glorious Goodwood no other racing gets ratings to beat Deal or No Deal and Countdown.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Sky looking like enquiring Channel 5 alongside Discovery, any chance or hope that some horse racing could be shown, more during the weekdays ever
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    tony321 wrote: »
    I can't ever see a return to the type of coverage racing had on terrestrial TV 20/30 years ago, for example this week the Craven meeting and the Cheltenham jumps card would have been on C4 or BBC and now it's shown on RUK.

Apart from the likes of Cheltenham festival, Royal Ascot and the likes of Glorious Goodwood no other racing gets ratings to beat Deal or No Deal and Countdown.

I was just wondering why the Craven meeting wasn't on

I assume they will still show the Chester Cup meeting?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »

I think so as that is one of the main midweek fixtures
  • Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »

Craven meeting hasnt been on CH4 for a long time now
    Chester Cup is still on though.:)
  • Options
    f1fantic1f1fantic1 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BUMP

Could BT Sport even make a bid for the rights?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that BBC Northern Ireland covered Down Royal recently
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    f1fantic1 wrote: »
    BUMP

Could BT Sport even make a bid for the rights?
    What would they bid for?

Bookmakers won't want to see terrestrial coverage end for obvious reasons, ATR has the all-weathers like Wolverhampton which wouldn't be enough of a draw and similarly the RUK stuff which just offers an alternative to C4 as far as the big meetings are concerned is best served via a standalone channel for those that want it.

Personally I see no need at all to subscribe to RUK. All the main meetings are covered on C4, including every single Royal Ascot race, and everything else I need I can get on replay or if I've had a bet I can watch live online.

And as a racing fan, BT having secondary coverage to C4 would not make me any more likely to subscribe.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The subtitling on the Ascot meetings is abysmal.
    Surely, in this day and age, the accuracy of subtitles is possible.
    Give a thought to those of us with less than perfect hearing.