Options

Little Mix New Single - Black Magic

Comments

• Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Velcro and snap clasps probably. I was wondering if their outfits were seamed right down the back because they didn't really move and they were careful to be very frontal before the big reveal.

#9 in the midweeks already from #6. I wasn't expecting the song to drop that much, hope it stays in the Top 10 for visibility.

Black Magic probably has at least 1 more week top 10 looking likely. The track is still hovering around the lower top 10 on the daily Spotify chart, and is just below the top 10 on iTunes.

I still think we're gonna hear Black Magic a fair bit over the coming months on The X Factor (background music, maybe during auditions/bootcamp/live shows) and also one week on SCD. Still reckon it'll be in the top 40 at the end of the year. Big singles just don't plummet down the chart once they've left the top 10 like they used to in the days of CD singles. :p
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 Rachel Platten 58,581 47,996 10,585
    2 Felix Jaehn feat. Jasmine Thompson 55,986
    3 Jess Glynne 52,173
    4 Calvin Harris & Disciples 51,389
    5 Charlie Puth feat. Meghan Trainor 50,268
    6 The Weeknd 43,968
    7 Martin Solveig & GTA 34,199
    8 Walk The Moon 33,353
    9 Lost Frequencies 31,893
    10 Little Mix 31,620

Chart Run: 1-1-1-3-4-6-10

How does that Lost Frequencies song keep holding on? :confused:

What's the total? I think it goes Gold end of today, maybe?

Also, there is some record collection called Girls of Pop out now on iTunes and Black Magic is the first track. Maybe they get some small sales out of that too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Also the single actually sold slightly better than I was expecting. So I reckon sales for the song should stabilise again, so another 30-35k sold this week.

31,620 :D

Black Magic has done remarkably well, and now Little Mix have released Hair - an instant grat single from the new album - which is at #9 on iTunes. Pretty impressive for an album instant grat to do as well as this (yes, 5SOS went top 5 on iTunes with Fly Away but still... :p ).

7 weeks in the top 10 is great, easily becoming the single with the most staying power - thanks mainly to the continued success on Spotify. As I suspected, it probably will be its last week in the top 10 (for now at least :D ).

I also find Are You With Me quite dull for a dance track, but its certainly better than some of the dance horrors in the chart recently. Lost Frequencies is just doing really well on streaming.

Black Magic's total sales are around 395,030 at the moment so will probably be certified gold next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7 weeks in the top 10 is great, easily becoming the single with the most staying power - thanks mainly to the continued success on Spotify. As I suspected, it probably will be its last week in the top 10 (for now at least :D ).

The flyer Columbia uses to promote LM to the US radio industry says that Black Magic has been #1 in UK airplay for 5 weeks, is that right?

Flyer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The flyer Columbia uses to promote LM to the US radio industry says that Black Magic has been #1 in UK airplay for 5 weeks, is that right?

Flyer

Technically, it's been #1 on the UK commercial airplay chart. So that's basically all the smaller commercial radio stations like Heart FM, Capital FM.

Black Magic is currently #4 on the official UK airplay chart but includes the likes of Radio 1, Radio 2 etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 600k is achievable but probably not by the end of the year.

I've just calculated the difference so Black Magic, as of yesterday, would need to sell another 272,126 to be certified platinum. There are 19 chart weeks left in 2015 so that's an average of 14.5k per week for the rest of the year to become a platinum selling single.

Maybe it could be achieved. Really depends on how the weekly sales tail off each week, and of course whether any boosts in sales make a big difference.

Update? Now the track is only 200k away from Platinum. Can it make it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update? Now the track is only 200k away from Platinum. Can it make it?

I reckon it could do but it purely depends on how well the sales stabilise each week. I can't see the single suddenly plummeting in sales one week unless its removed from iTunes and Spotify. :p

Black Magic could possibly be certified platinum by December. If not, then most definitely early 2016.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately the sales updates from Music Week stop after the Top 10. Hopefully they'll update once the second single drops, which BTW Jade said yesterday was "sooner than you think".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Hair would've made a decent second single. It shot up to #9 within hours of being released on iTunes. Imagine had they held it back, premiered the music video first and had a few weeks of built up airplay? Hair could've done a "Black Magic" in entering at #1 with decent sales.

It's like a radio friendly version of Salute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know, I'm not as enamored of it as a song as some people, and I think it lacks that extra something for a successful single.

Black Magic is getting a good boost on iTunes because of the Talk Talk XF ads. Its gone up +4.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=IgqsxTSlyd8
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nce-tni72xU

11 Little Mix Black Magic
    14 Little Mix Hair
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Hair would've made a decent second single. It shot up to #9 within hours of being released on iTunes. Imagine had they held it back, premiered the music video first and had a few weeks of built up airplay? Hair could've done a "Black Magic" in entering at #1 with decent sales.

It's like a radio friendly version of Salute.

I thought the fans were asking for something that was a 'development' to the Little Mix sound and that's why some were critical of the 'pop' sound of 'Black Magc'. Yet 'Hair' as you say sound like an outtake from 'Salute' and the fans go daft for it. I think it is a good album track not a single and it is not a huge advance on earlier LM songs.
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible song. It just shows this group can release any rubbish and it will still do well, thanks to Simon Cowell and The X Factor.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    How much has the song sold in the UK now?

And is Hair not actually a single to be released then?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    Terrible song. It just shows this group can release any rubbish and it will still do well, thanks to Simon Cowell and The X Factor.

Really? What did The X Factor have to do with the success of Black Magic?

Please explain how a song released in May felt any benefit from a TV series that began 2 days ago. I'd love to see that explanation.

Just a silly attempt to take a shot at Cowell, who has said nothing about Black Magic, and The X Factor which didn't even have a judging panel or a start date when the song was released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much has the song sold in the UK now?

And is Hair not actually a single to be released then?

Black Magic should have gone over 400,000 for Gold over the weekend. On the official chart it was at 395k Friday morning.

Little Mix ‏@LittleMix Aug 21
    Guyssss just so ya know...#Hair isn't our new single but a track from the album we wanna give you early cos we love you!!!! 😘😘😘 The Girls 💞

I guess the UK is having a holiday so the midweeks aren't out today. But the main song is still holding at #11 on iTunes (#10 combined) and an insider said as of the Friday and Sat. sales flashes that Hair was #13 at the time. Its fallen off since, but its going to chart somewhere officially.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? What did The X Factor have to do with the success of Black Magic?

Please explain how a song released in May felt any benefit from a TV series that began 2 days ago. I'd love to see that explanation.

Just a silly attempt to take a shot at Cowell, who has said nothing about Black Magic, and The X Factor which didn't even have a judging panel or a start date when the song was released.

Cowell has noticeably not given any promo to Little Mix in the last year. Also, just goes to show how people refuse to give LM any credit for what they have done even though the evidence is staring them in the face.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    Black Magic should have gone over 400,000 for Gold over the weekend. On the official chart it was at 395k Friday morning.

Little Mix ‏@LittleMix Aug 21
    Guyssss just so ya know...#Hair isn't our new single but a track from the album we wanna give you early cos we love you!!!! 😘😘😘 The Girls 💞

I guess the UK is having a holiday so the midweeks aren't out today. But the main song is still holding at #11 on iTunes (#10 combined) and an insider said as of the Friday and Sat. sales flashes that Hair was #13 at the time. Its fallen off since, but its going to chart somewhere officially.

Oh wow that is amazing! Shame 'hair' isn't the second single as I really love the song and I think it would chart well. I'm looking forward to seeing their second single come out though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Guess what, its still #10 in today's midweek update! Hair is #33. The Talk Talk XF spots really boosted BM over the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Guess what, its still #10 in today's midweek update! Hair is #33. The Talk Talk XF spots really boosted BM over the weekend.

Well, I did say "for now at least". It just got the extra week sooner than I expected. :p

Still think we're gonna hear this performed on X Factor and maybe SCD at some point when the live shows start.

I'm hoping Hair manages to make the top 40. For an album instant grat to sell well enough to make the top 40 these days is a cool achievement, and who knows it could become a future single anyways. For comparison's sake, look at Titanium by David Guetta. Started off as an instant grat that got to #16 in the UK (back in the days when iTunes sales were at their peak and no streaming data to drag songs down) and then made an official single a few months later, went to #1 and became a million selling single. Not that Hair will manage that but it's happened before, there's no reason why it couldn't again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember last Summer it seemed like Ed Sheeran was spawning album tracks in the charts like a termite queen and her eggs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember last Summer it seemed like Ed Sheeran was spawning album tracks in the charts like a termite queen and her eggs.

That's because he was. :p

I actually like Ed Sheeran and for me, X is better than +.

Thing is, when Little Mix release their next album in November it'll be interesting to see how their songs fare on both iTunes and Spotify.

Ed Sheeran's dominance on both iTunes and Spotify last summer was extraordinary - even Sam Smith didn't achieve that level of dominance. I think the only other artist who could achieve that would be Adele when the next album is released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its official. Onward to Platinum.

12m
    bpi music ‏@bpi_music
    We’re happy to officially announce that ‘Black Magic’ by @LittleMix has gone Gold. Congrats! #bpiAwards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officially #11, but the sales should still be good.

Chart Run: 1-1-1-3-4-6-10-11
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sales

10 Walk The Moon 31,070
    11 Little Mix
    14 5 Seconds of Summer 26,737

35 Little Mix [Hair] 15,175

Well done Hair! Urgh I hate being out of the Top 10 and not getting the sales figures. Its still pretty good and each week it stays higher it gets that much closer to Platinum.

OT: BGT act Bars & Melody album: 4-201 (549 sales). Ouch.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I love this song