The Greatest Beatles Albums of all Time

owen10owen10 Posts: 127,852
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I have to say my favourite one is Sgt Pepper as every song on that Album is just amazing also i love Revolver it has some real classics that are some of the best they ever wrote Which Album do you think is their best one

Comments

• bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revolver, but there's not a one I wouldn't say was good among them, fairly unique for a band/artist with that many to their name. The white album might have made a better single LP but then so what, there's nothing on there I really dislike.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    White Album is my personal favourite. I do love the way Abbey Road fits together as well though. I prefer later Beatles to earlier although I like it all.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Beatles Album has always been Revolver. All the songs are good and there is a large selection of different music types.
  • slimlinetonicslimlinetonic Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I think personally Revolver and Rubber soul are great, Sgt Peppers is a fun album quirky and surreal and psychedelic, Let it Be is just the sound of a marriage gone wrong, even Lennon hated it, and McCartney was never ever all that keen on it either, Abbey Road ive always found zip zags between great songs, and so so rubbish the end suite of songs i have to agree with Lennon is just bad, But having said all that i do adore The Magical Mystery Tour, its a joy from start to end.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All great albums

As I've got older my views have changed a bit and I've gone off the more innovative stuff and gone 'back to basics'

Give them a couple of albums to get to grips with it and stop doing covers.......then the 3rd and 4th albums, Hard Days Night and Help are totally written by the lads themselves and are as perfect an example of 3 minute pop songs as you will ever find.......
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are all great, and each one captures the moment in time it was released.

The White Album is a masterpiece, although a little all over the place at times, which actually adds to the magic. Abbey Road is another classic, and showed what they could do when needed, in a time of personal turmoil for the band. It was a fitting last recording, which is what it was, although Let It Be was released after it.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbey Road.
    Not just my favourite Beatles album but my favourite album.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revolver is the best Beatles album, but Abbey Road is more fun to listen to.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Revolver is the best Beatles album, but Abbey Road is more fun to listen to.

Have to agree, I've probably played Abbey Road more than any of them. If I reach for one when I haven't played any Beatles for a while it's that or if I'm feeling nostalgic then A Hard Day's Night. There's something just carefree about A Hard Day's Night that all that time between goes away and I'm back in the moment again.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Revolver for me. It's not perfect. It has at least one mediocre track on it (I Want To Tell You), but the the rest of the tracks are good to outstanding. It was also the album that paved the way for psychedelia (Tomorrow Never Knows) that swept the rock world months later in 1967, so an important album from that angle.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbey Road ive always found zip zags between great songs, and so so rubbish the end suite of songs i have to agree with Lennon is just bad
    :o That is probably The Beatles' finest moment. In all of the many books I've read on the subject I've certainly never heard of Lennon saying that.
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Revolver is the best Beatles album.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough one. I think I'd have to say The Best Of The Beatles.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tough one. I think I'd have to say The Best Of The Beatles.

Ah hah!
  • TookahTookah Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The White Album. It's a meandering mess, and that's why it's so special. It's four young men unable to control their differing artistic visions. I love that kind of sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I foolishly studied Sgt Peppers in University and that killed a little bit of the love I had for it. I don't really listen to it very much anymore, but it would probably still get my vote.
  • Cpt James KirkCpt James Kirk Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Abbey Road for me closely followed by Revolver.

There are so many tracks on those albums that mean a lot to me personally.

I love all their albums though.
  • blue screenblue screen Posts: 6,412
    Forum Member
    Revolver or Rubber Soul for me.

Paperback Writer and Rain were both written in the Revolver sessions but weren't put on the album and Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out were both written when they were recording Rubber Soul but again never went on the album.

Amazing to think some great Beatles albums could have been even better if they put their singles on the albums
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with Alan Partridge...The Best Of The Beatles.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artistically, The White Album. But Sergeant's Pepper's Lonely Heart band was the album that cemented their success.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Amazing to think some great Beatles albums could have been even better if they put their singles on the albums

Yeah, that is quite amazing. Sgt Peppers too was missing Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane in that regard
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let It Be, get so much out of that album, each listen gives me something more. Love it.
  • jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbey Road.
    Not just my favourite Beatles album but my favourite album.

Same here I play it all the time
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's become fashionable to say that "Sergeant Pepper" is overrated, but I can't agree with that at all. It's a fabulous, groundbreaking album, although I marginally prefer "Revolver".

Not a fan of the "White Album" I'm afraid. Too long and all over the place. For me anyway.

Oh, and I have a real soft spot for "A Hard Day's Night". Perfect pop.