What size usb flash drive

mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 636
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a make and what size USB flash drive to use with the Humax Foxsat HDR.

Also can a BBC HD programmed be copied and then played on a different HDR.

Thanks Marina

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HD recordings made in freesat mode are encrypted with a key unique to the specific hdr that recorded it. As a result they will only play back on the hdr that recorded it. It's possible using non-freesat to record both BBC-HD and ITV1-HD wthout encryption (You have to manually start recordings though). Because of the size of HD recordings it's best to use a proper drive (I use a medion 500GB usb powered drive) and it has to formatted EXT3 to handle files bigger than 4GB which would be most HD recordings
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HD recordings made in freesat mode are encrypted with a key unique to the specific hdr that recorded it. As a result they will only play back on the hdr that recorded it. It's possible using non-freesat to record both BBC-HD and ITV1-HD wthout encryption (You have to manually start recordings though). Because of the size of HD recordings it's best to use a proper drive (I use a medion 500GB usb powered drive) and it has to formatted EXT3 to handle files bigger than 4GB which would be most HD recordings

Thanks Graham, will have a look at the 500GB.

Marina
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graham,

Sorry to barge in but the information seems relevant to this thread.

Having got the recorded programme onto the external HDD are you then able to do anything with them other than play back in the PVR? For example, I understand the files are in a .ts format, is that the same format as a video ts file used in DVD recording.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »
    Graham,

Sorry to barge in but the information seems relevant to this thread.

Having got the recorded programme onto the external HDD are you then able to do anything with them other than play back in the PVR? For example, I understand the files are in a .ts format, is that the same format as a video ts file used in DVD recording.

SD recordings are easily burnt to a DVD. The files are mpeg2 transport stream 576i, dvd's require programme stream .mpg files but the conversion is easy and lossless. THere's loads of free software to do the job but the best all in one solution I know of is Videoredo TV Suite which can easily edit the files first. It's not free but very easy to use and as it only recodes at edits it's very fast. There is a free trial period if you download it.

The free mediaplayer vlc player will also play both SD and HD (provided your PC is fast enough and the HD was recorded without envryption) .TS files on both PC's and Macs. This plays pretty well anything you can chuck at it and will also convert formats. For instance if you record radio using the hdr you can convert to wav files for CD or MP3.
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the information Graham. I have yet to transfer a file to an external HDD but will be experimenting a little.