Options

Best & Worst Troughton Stories

124»

Comments

• Options
    Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,447
    Forum Member
    Ooh, that sounds like i really shouldn't, but now I'm tempted...!

Well, gslam & ting have now both commented on visuals within stories and neither has answered my point that they wouldn't be able to make those comments if the stories existed as audios only.
  • Options
    smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, gslam & ting have now both commented on visuals within stories and neither has answered my point that they wouldn't be able to make those comments if the stories existed as audios only.

It's because they have no logical answer. Of COURSE the visuals are important, it doesn't mean one can't enjoy the audio versions, but they are then very different beasts to a complete telecast. It really is like arguing that black is white. Still, the twittering of fools at least gives us the satisfaction of knowing that we are correct and offering a more intelligent argument, which is always nice :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best:
    Fury from the Deep
    Evil of the Daleks
    Web of Fear
    Invasion
    The Mind Robber

Worst:
    Under Water Menace
    The krotons (as with 'the Twin Dilema' I can't stand it when production vaules are so low, they are just removing labels from house hold appliances to pass them off as space tech)

The Space Pirates
    The Dominators
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Thankfully someone has got the Troughton thread back on track - now for a Wendy Padbury thread!!!
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thankfully someone has got the Troughton thread back on track - now for a Wendy Padbury thread!!!

Can we have a Peri thread as well?!!!! :D

You know, I still think Season 5 is one of the best Seasons ever in Who history. It's a ruddy shame so many episodes of it are missing. Listening to them all on audio is such a great experience and even The Web Of Fear comes across great because of that creepy incidental music. It's one of the few audio stories that really gives out that special vibe through the music and I love it to bits! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest seen very little from the Troughton era bar what is available but loved

Tomb
    Invasion
    the few eps of Web of Fear...wish there were more
    favourite being The War Games.

least

The Krotons
    The Dominators
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    This is very difficult, having to rely on the soudnstrack CDs ... most of which I have only heard once!

In no spaffic order:

WORST:
    Evil of the Daleks
    The Highlanders
    The Dominators
    The Abominable Snowmen
    The Space Pirates

I hated Evil. It's like a virgin's knickers: on and on and on. It never ends. Jamie and a Mute Ethnic wander round some corridors for bloody hours, with blades falling from ceilings and trapdoors opening beneath them. Rubbish. It's "capture/escape/capture/escape" for episode after episode. I am sure people are only excited about it because they've never seen it. The 1960s stuff is fun, but a lot of the Victorian stuff drags terribly.

I am really glad you said that because that is exactly what I feel about it too. The stuff with Jamie and Kemal is pointless and drags on and on and on.

Whovians, your Emperor has no clothes on.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    The best:
    Fury from the Deep
    Evil of the Daleks
    Web of Fear
    Invasion
    The Mind Robber

Worst:
    Under Water Menace
    The krotons (as with 'the Twin Dilema' I can't stand it when production vaules are so low, they are just removing labels from house hold appliances to pass them off as space tech)

The Space Pirates
    The Dominators

I do not get the negativity towards Underwater Menace. Sure Episode 3 is a bit bonkers but it is fun.The new Recon really paints the story in a glorious light. It is a tidy 4 parter. Fun with a sinister undertone to it. I really really like it now.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having actually seen them all (but can;t remember most):

Best

War Games; The Invasion; Tomb of Cybermen, Mind Robber, Evil of Daleks .........

Worst: The Two Doctors.

Don;t know why people hate Dominators and Krotons so much. Both are a bit silly, but so are Daleks if you think about it.
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    Having actually seen them all (but can;t remember most):

Best

War Games; The Invasion; Tomb of Cybermen, Mind Robber, Evil of Daleks .........

Worst: The Two Doctors.

Don;t know why people hate Dominators and Krotons so much. Both are a bit silly, but so are Daleks if you think about it.

Good call! Doctor Who doesn't get much worse than that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I havent seen Many Patrick Troughton stories but I will give it a go

These Episodes I havent seen or havent completed watching :-

The Power of the Daleks
    The Highlanders
    The Macra Terror
    The Faceless Ones
    The Evil of the Daleks
    The Abominable Snowmen
    The Enemy of the World
    The Web of Fear
    Fury from the Deep
    The Wheel In Space
    The Krotons
    The Space Pirates

So my Favourites

1 The War Games ( Such an epic and my best Doctor Who of all Time with Keys of Marninus)

2 The Invasion ( Its not because of the cybermen that I like this story Its because of Tobias Vaughn. Hes such a cool villian. Also I love the iconic scenes with the cybermen in London)

3 The Underwater Menace ( Your probally thinking I'm mad to rank the Underwater Menace this high. But I think if you watch it as a comedy its a great Doctor Who story. The plot is a bit mad ( and so is the villian) but its entertaining)

4 Tomb of the Cybermen ( The first troughton story I ever saw. But I think its obvious why people like this one)

5 The Mind Robber ( Its wonderfully different and stands out from most other stories)

6 The Moonbase ( I love Troughtons cybermen stories. This one is basically is up here for the same reasons I like Tomb)

Worst

From what Ive seen The Dominators but thats all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Ranking the Stories

1 The War Games
    2 The Evil of the Daleks
    3 The Invasion
    4 Power of the Daleks
    5 The Web of Fear
    6 The Underwater Menace
    7 Enemy of the World
    8 The Mind Robber
    9 The Ice Warriors
    10 The Wheel in Space
    11 The Seeds of Death
    12 Fury from the Deep
    13 The Aboominable Snowmen
    14 The Tomb of the Cybermen
    15 The Moonbase
    16 The Faceless Ones
    17 The Space Pirates
    18 The Highlanders
    19 The Macra Terror
    20 The Krotons
    21 The Dominators
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of the relatively few I've watched, I'd rank them -

1) The War Games
    2) Tomb of the Cyberman
    3) The Ice Warriors
    4) The Invasion
    5) The Seeds of Death
    6) The Dominators
    7) The Mind Robber - I know Robber is well regarded but I just find it so, so dull.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best

1. The Tomb of the Cybermen
    2. The Invasion (Yep, BIG Cybermen fan!)
    3. The Seeds of Death
    4. The Mind Robber
    5. The Web of Fear

The worst

1. The Two Doctors (Is that cheeky?)
    2. The Space Pirates
    3. The Highlanders
    4. The Krotons
    5. Enemy of the World
  • Options
    drfelixdrfelix Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I Haven't seen much but by what I have seen, it follows like this:

1. The Invsasion- This story really is amazing
    2.Web of Fear- Not Great at the start but from Part 4 it is excellent
    3.The Moonbase[/B- This story is very underrated.
    4.Tomb of the Cybermen- Good Story but it isn't great
    5.The Ice Warriors- This may be my least favourite but I still enjoy this story.