Do you think Jennifer Lawrence has potential to have a career like

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep?

Jennifer is a young 22 year old actress already with 2 Academy Award nominations with winning one recently. Do you think she could be in the same league as them later on in her career?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    More Meryl Streep than Julia Roberts I think.

Julia started to make lots of rom-com and chick flicks and that more or less did her career in at an early stage. Jennifer needs to get The Hunger games and X-Men out of her system and start to move on to more drama and sensible films. If she does that she could have a similar film career to Meryl or Jodie Foster and be seen as highly.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not really no . I like her , she's very pretty but she's not a great actress .
    Forum Member

I think the best thing she did was Winter's Bone when she did real acting and had a decent script and story.

Things like The Hunger Games, X-Men etc are big money earners, but they have no substance or anything that makes people sit up and thing great actor/actress. Often the actors get overshadowed by SFX and set piece action scenes.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was good in silver linings play book
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she will always go for the academy awards type scripts now unless she fancies doing a romcom
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, I don't quite understand why you're putting Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep in the same category - Streep is in a whole other league to anyone else, and miles above Julia Roberts.

I can see Jennifer Lawrence certainly having a career more like Meryl Streep though - she's already shown she's versatile enough to take on a range of different types of movie, although she needs to be a bit careful not to get typecast as a complicated young woman, often with some sort of issue/problem or facing hardship - the Hunger Games, X-Men, Winter's Bone and Silver Linings all fall into that category, and she's doing sequels to two of those. Plus some of her next projects - Serena and The Rules of Inheritance - also look to have similar types of character. Her role in American Hustle seems to be slightly different, but it's a small part.

That said though, she is already getting decent drama parts, not just the big franchises, so it's nothing to do with getting those 'out of her system'. In fact she's being sensible keeping those roles up - they're guaranteed income, they're guaranteed publicity and box office success, and they make her a bankable star just as much as her Academy Award does. She seems to be well-respected by her co-stars and the directors she works with, doing multiple movies with both David O'Russell and Susanne Bier, and with Bradley Cooper, and she's branching out into producing as well.

All in all, she seems to be doing everything right at the minute. I think she's a wonderful actress, she certainly deserves a career as successful as Meryl Streep and Jodie Foster (though I don't think she'll ever reach anywhere near Meryl's Oscar nominations tally, but if she keeps going as she has she'll certainly pick up a few more nominations and possibly another win down the line). And I really hope she doesn't lose her down-to-earth attitude, I admire that more than even her acting. :)

Have you ever seen Winter's Bone or Silver Linings Playbook?

If people are judging her on X Men or The Hunger Games (not you in particular, people in general), then that's a mistake. She's not even bad in either of those, in fact she's perfect for the Hunger Games and gives a great performance in that, but they're money-spinners, they're hardly calls for fantastic acting. The films she's been Oscar-nominated for, on the other hand, show the depth she can bring to a performance when the script allows her to.

she will always go for the academy awards type scripts now unless she fancies doing a romcom

Silver Linings was part rom-com in a slightly twisted way. And Academy Award-type scripts are usually the more interesting anyway, and more stretching for actors, even if they begin as indie movies like Winter's Bone did. So it's not surprising that she's doing those kind of things.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever seen Winter's Bone or Silver Linings Playbook?

If people are judging her on X Men or The Hunger Games (not you in particular, people in general), then that's a mistake. She's not even bad in either of those, in fact she's perfect for the Hunger Games and gives a great performance in that, but they're money-spinners, they're hardly calls for fantastic acting. The films she's been Oscar-nominated for, on the other hand, show the depth she can bring to a performance when the script allows her to.

Silver Linings was part rom-com in a slightly twisted way. And Academy Award-type scripts are usually the more interesting anyway, and more stretching for actors, even if they begin as indie movies like Winter's Bone did. So it's not surprising that she's doing those kind of things.

yeah I've seen both , Winter's Bone was good , I didn't like Silver Linings , I just didn't believe in any of it .
    Forum Member
    yeah I've seen both , Winter's Bone was good , I didn't like Silver Linings , I just didn't believe in any of it .

That's pretty much my assessment of the two films. Silver Linings Playbook is the most over rated film of the last 6-7 months.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Highly unlikely.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's gonna have a brilliant, varied career, but what I want to see her do next, before moving on to more serious Oscar-bait stuff, is Star Wars episode 7! It's rumoured that the main character will be the daughter of Princess Leia and Han Solo. To me, Jennifer would be so perfect, particularly as Han's daughter. Right now I can't think of anyone else in that role.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends really

Like i said on a very similar thread to this, she needs to choose her roles wisely. Winning an oscar can either be a blessing or a curse. I think she could be more along the lines of being an American Kate Winslet.

Jennifer has yet to prove herself as a method actor like Meryl to even go on the same career path as well. And she hasn't attached herself to being a rom-com queen like Julia Roberts.

And yes, do not judge Jennifer based on the blockbuster films. Although her performance in The Hunger Games is beautiful. But her performances in Winter's Bone and Playbook are fantastic. They are both meaty ballsy dramatic strong fierce woman she portrayed. She is already drawing acclaim for her performance in a film called Serena, with some saying she may get another oscar nomination for it.

I hope she doesn't become like Natalie Portman. Another actress who has been nominated twice (winning her second time), but about 90 per cent of all her films to date haven't shown what an actual good actress she is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like i said on a very similar thread to this, she needs to choose her roles wisely. Winning an oscar can either be a blessing or a curse. I think she could be more along the lines of being an American Kate Winslet.

Kate Winslet was the youngest person to accrue six Academy Award nominations, and won the Academy Award for Best Actress for The Reader (2008) so certainly that's a good point maybe Jennifer could be like her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Julia and Jennifer up against each other again. Golden Globe Jennifer won. Next up Golden Globes and Academy Awards.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's gonna have a brilliant, varied career, but what I want to see her do next, before moving on to more serious Oscar-bait stuff, is Star Wars episode 7! It's rumoured that the main character will be the daughter of Princess Leia and Han Solo. To me, Jennifer would be so perfect, particularly as Han's daughter. Right now I can't think of anyone else in that role.

problem is she has been the lead in hunger games in that type of action role, well maybe not entirely action but if she gets Star Wars it might seem a bit of a boring choice unless she makes herself unrecognizable. the problem is everyone will want to use her because she is popular right now so by then she will probably be over exp[osed. I'd rather a lesser known actress play the role personally.

I think she is a little over rated as well, I wasn't blown away by a few of her roles, especially american hustle, i felt she over did it a bit and i couldn't take her seriously. dotn get me wrong, i think she is good but not great, not in Streep's league anyway.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope not, I'm not really a fan of their films, especially Julia Roberts.
  • ncl*girlncl*girl Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she wins another oscar this year I think it's going to be a bit of a PR nightmare for her... people will just be annoyed no-one else has a chance she's only 23

When your Meryl Streep you can get away with it because she's so bloody good
    Forum Member
    No chance whatsoever.

I like Jennifer Lawrence, but she's merely the new flash in the pan. In a year or two, the next hot new thing will emerge and she'll be down the pecking order.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's definitely one of, if not the hottest actor in Hollywood atm - I'm not sure if that will last long enough to have a career like Meryl though.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    i think she is good but not great, not in Streep's league anyway.

No-one is in Meryl Streep's league.

ncl*girl wrote: »
    If she wins another oscar this year I think it's going to be a bit of a PR nightmare for her... people will just be annoyed no-one else has a chance she's only 23

When your Meryl Streep you can get away with it because she's so bloody good

'People'? I think that's a massive generalisation. Sure, some people will be irritated, but others will think it's what her talent deserves, or just be impassive.

I don't think multiple Oscar winner is ever really a PR issue, certainly not when the movies the actress has coming out this year are franchise movies, not dramas.

And it's not her fault no-one else has a chance - she wasn't the one who chose to nominate her, the voters at basically every single awards ceremony this year did, and that's quite a lot of people who clearly think her performance merits recognition, not ignoring just because of her age. Age is but a number, after all, and remember even Meryl won two in quick succession then none for 30 years.

It's also not a category where anyone really stands out - Sally Hawkins is great in Blue Jasmine, Lupita Nyong'o is great in 12 Years, but neither is really any better or worse than Lawrence. I can't judge the other nominees as I haven't seen Nebraska or August: Osage County, but certainly their performances haven't been talked up as being better than the other 3 nominees either. Other actresses who haven't been nominated simply haven't done enough to catch the voters' attention, and that's not Lawrence's fault.
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep?

Jennifer is a young 22 year old actress already with 2 Academy Award nominations with winning one recently. Do you think she could be in the same league as them later on in her career?

I thought she was 23? I think her talent is going to make her a force to be reckoned with for a long time yet. But I think she is still incredibly young, and a lot is going to depend on where she chooses to take her career.

At the moment she is still to me a bit like a big kid, who hasn't really come to terms with being a grown up, or realised what kind of priviledged position she has been put into. She is still doing interviews about feeling 'normal' and wanting to be treated the same as everyone else. When she isn't. She might have been a few years ago, and her charm and naturalness in interviews is wonderful to watch. But 3 Academy awards and shed loads of money kind of remove you a long way out of the 'normal' category.

Her acting skills are amazing, and she is a brilliant actress, which will give her longevity, but will she keep at the peak of her profession or try and follow a creative pathway? I see her more as someone like Leonardo Di Caprio, who is a wonderful actor, but who chooses some quite bizarre films to appear in.

Or Will she be like Charlotte Church, who has made loads of money and become famous and given it all up for a while to have kids and enjoy being a mum for a few years???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I don't think she's the next anyone instead is the next Jennifer Lawrence. For the people who are saying she's a flash in the pan, or she's going to be forgotten in two years time etc. I believe you are wrong.

Unlike a lot of people in Hollywood and young celebrities, JLAW is FAMOUS for her acting nothing else. she's not become internationally famous for the wrong reasons e.g Miley Cyrus. What makes her different is that she is a credible celebrity in a generation where reality tv stars and desperate popstars are at the forefront. So for a young celebrity she's got a lot of respect from the people in her industry and the media for her talent because at the end of the day unlike a lot of celebs nowadays JLAW is where she is now because of her talent first and foremost.

Then comes her personality which makes her likeable, she's got the talent and the personality to stand out without making a mockery of herself or becoming a laughing stock around the world and being on the front pages for doing something stupid. People find her normal, relatable and endearing which is why people love her.

So in my opinion I think she is one of the only actresses around her age that has a chance of being a huge 'iconic' actresses in the future because she is already respected as an actress by almost everybody at the age of 23 which is an achievement. It's a credit to her that she can front a MEGA franchise like 'The Hunger Games' which she could have easily just been labelled as the girl from HG for the rest of her career but instead also has proven she is worthy of an incredible career outside of the franchise and isn't a one trick pony which is hard for a lot of young franchise actors as you know.

Inevitably in 5 years time there will be new actresses but JLAW's career will probably huge it won't matter. You've already got someone like Shailene Woodley who the media are touting as THE NEXT Jennifer Lawrence because she's the lead in the upcoming Divergent franchise and has done some other good films but does she have the star quality to match JLAW i'm not sure.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Jayk12 wrote: »
    I don't think she's the next anyone instead is the next Jennifer Lawrence. For the people who are saying she's a flash in the pan, or she's going to be forgotten in two years time etc. I believe you are wrong.

Unlike a lot of people in Hollywood and young celebrities, JLAW is FAMOUS for her acting nothing else. she's not become internationally famous for the wrong reasons e.g Miley Cyrus. What makes her different is that she is a credible celebrity in a generation where reality tv stars and desperate popstars are at the forefront. So for a young celebrity she's got a lot of respect from the people in her industry and the media for her talent because at the end of the day unlike a lot of celebs nowadays JLAW is where she is now because of her talent first and foremost.

Then comes her personality which makes her likeable, she's got the talent and the personality to stand out without making a mockery of herself or becoming a laughing stock around the world and being on the front pages for doing something stupid. People find her normal, relatable and endearing which is why people love her.

So in my opinion I think she is one of the only actresses around her age that has a chance of being a huge 'iconic' actresses in the future because she is already respected as an actress by almost everybody at the age of 23 which is an achievement. It's a credit to her that she can front a MEGA franchise like 'The Hunger Games' which she could have easily just been labelled as the girl from HG for the rest of her career but instead also has proven she is worthy of an incredible career outside of the franchise and isn't a one trick pony which is hard for a lot of young franchise actors as you know.

Inevitably in 5 years time there will be new actresses but JLAW's career will probably huge it won't matter. You've already got someone like Shailene Woodley who the media are touting as THE NEXT Jennifer Lawrence because she's the lead in the upcoming Divergent franchise and has done some other good films but does she have the star quality to match JLAW i'm not sure.

AGREE with this completely!!
    Her appeal is that no matter what she has appeared in the critics and public have loved, some people are born to act and I believe that onscreen she is incredible and in the real world she is genuine. (all those who say she is fake and phoney are just ridiculous)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No chance whatsoever.

I like Jennifer Lawrence, but she's merely the new flash in the pan. In a year or two, the next hot new thing will emerge and she'll be down the pecking order.

You couldn't be more wrong. J-Law is a rare talent for her age. No one has been this successful and acclaimed at a young age since Kate Winslet. She could of easily become disppeared after Winter's bone as a flash in the pan and a one role wonder. But Winter's bone shot her to heights and allowed her to take on roles she would not of been offered had it not been for that film. I am all for respecting people's opinions but people really don't like people succeeding on DS. DS members thrive on people flopping and careers going down on the drain.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's just say The Hunger Games has helped her out alot. If she wins the Oscar this year, it's not deserved. It'll be better for her in the long run if she doesn't win. She'll have better roles in the future that are more deserving of an Academy Award, I'm sure...

and without being jumped on, I think she's a good actress but a little overrated. Some actors have been working hard all their life and still haven't won an Oscar.
    Forum Member
    You couldn't be more wrong. J-Law is a rare talent for her age. No one has been this successful and acclaimed at a young age since Kate Winslet. She could of easily become disppeared after Winter's bone as a flash in the pan and a one role wonder. But Winter's bone shot her to heights and allowed her to take on roles she would not of been offered had it not been for that film. I am all for respecting people's opinions but people really don't like people succeeding on DS. DS members thrive on people flopping and careers going down on the drain.

No they don't. I already said I liked Jennifer Lawrence, but people like her come along ever so often. Hollywood praises them into overdrive, until the next one comes along.