I've lost my log book, and the car tax is due tomorrow

ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was getting ready (albeit leaving it late in the month) to get the documents ready to do my car tax. I can never do it too early, as the insurance renews on 27th Jan, so I always have to wait for the fresh insurance certificate.

However, stupid me usually keeps the old insurance document, latest MOT and log book in the same folder.

Except I can't find the folder, and the last time I saw it was when I had the car MOT'd in October, and took that folder, with the old MOT in it to ensure they dated it correctly.

I don't recall seeing it since that day, and I have turned my files upside down looking for it.

Does anyone know what I should do to get the tax renewed without the log book? I'll give DVLA a call tmrw, and the garage, but am getting a bit stressed...:(

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    am getting a bit stressed...:(

If you've got the reminder from the DVLC, book it online.
  • bradleyspencer1bradleyspencer1 Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do it online:

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/?SKIN=directgov

You will need the 16 digit reference number shown on your renewal reminder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need the log book to get the tax renewed. Just the MOT and insurance Cert and the Letter from DVLA.

I've lost my log book and I managed to SORN my car.
  • bradleyspencer1bradleyspencer1 Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although if you say you have just renewed your insurance, the DVLA records may not be updated yet on their system, so you might have problems doing the online route.

Worth a go though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do want a new one, you just send DVLA £25 and fill in a form.

Blooming rip off if you ask me.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey it's done!!
    I checked on-line but the first page says I'd need my log book, so I stopped.
    But as you go further in, it's requires the 16 digit reference *or* the MOT and log book.
    Thanks to all you lovely people, I'll sleep well tonight, and go on the hunt for the log book tomorrow.
    Phew...
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was getting ready (albeit leaving it late in the month) to get the documents ready to do my car tax. I can never do it too early, as the insurance renews on 27th Jan, so I always have to wait for the fresh insurance certificate.
    QUOTE]

Why do you have to wait for a fresh insurance certificate? You can renew your tax from the 15th of the month, and as long as your car is insured when you go to tax it you'll be fine. You aren't going to be told - "No we won't let you tax it for 6 months cos you only have 2 weeks of insurance left". :p
    So many people (I don't mean you, OP :)) use this as an excuse for an untaxed car.

Blimey it's done!!
    But as you go further in, it's requires the 16 digit reference *or* the MOT and log book.
    Thanks to all you lovely people, I'll sleep well tonight, and go on the hunt for the log book tomorrow.
    Phew...

You don't need your logbook to get your tax in the Post Office now, either. As long as you have the reminder letter which proves (as much as the logbook anyway) that the car is registered to you, you just need to take your insurance and MOT. ;)

fF
  • RazzylewRazzylew Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you've fixed the problem OP, but you definately don't need the log book to tax your car anyway. Just the MOT certificate and an insurance certificate. I never received a log book when i bought my first car, but didn't realise i should have had one. The car was registered though so i can only assume it got lost in the post, as i got my tax reminders and everything. I only realised I should have a log book when i came to sell my car a couple of weeks ago!!
  • Steve PearceSteve Pearce Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey it's done!!
    Phew...
    I wouldn't sleep that well if I were you. Although you have taxed it, until you actually display the new disc you are committing an offence. Since the new disc will take a few days to arrive (probably up to 5-7) you are risking being reported by an eagle-eyed traffic warden or the like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't sleep that well if I were you. Although you have taxed it, until you actually display the new disc you are committing an offence. Since the new disc will take a few days to arrive (probably up to 5-7) you are risking being reported by an eagle-eyed traffic warden or the like.

I did mine online and the new tax disc arrived 2 days later
  • warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not exactly worth losing sleep over though is it? Reading these forums on the subject of car tax the last few days you would think its a crime on the same level as rape or murder... it almost makes me chuckle if it wasn't so sad that people get their knickers in such a twist over such a trivial thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly worth losing sleep over though is it? Reading these forums on the subject of car tax the last few days you would think its a crime on the same level as rape or murder... it almost makes me chuckle if it wasn't so sad that people get their knickers in such a twist over such a trivial thing.
    My knickers aren't twisted. Just letting the OP know that until the disc is displayed there is a possibility they may get pulled or reported.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My knickers aren't twisted. Just letting the OP know that until the disc is displayed there is a possibility they may get pulled or reported.

I have nothing to add to the topic but just wanted to say my name is like yours :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely they can check online if the car is taxed or not? If so would they really get fined for not having it displayed because the disc hasn't arrived?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could happen. Not having it taxed and not displaying a valid tax disc are seperate offences. It's unlikely to be noticed except by an passing traffic warden or plod. So not parking on the street might be a good stategy. I've also heard that the DVLA send out vans roaming early in the morning of the first of the month to try to catch tardy drivers who are a bit slow changing the disc.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could happen. Not having it taxed and not displaying a valid tax disc are seperate offences. It's unlikely to be noticed except by an passing traffic warden or plod. So not parking on the street might be a good stategy. I've also heard that the DVLA send out vans roaming early in the morning of the first of the month to try to catch tardy drivers who are a bit slow changing the disc.

Thanks for all the advice - personally, I would take a dim view if I got done for not having a tax disc, even though it was paid for before the due date. If that was the case, they should tell you to pay online 5 days before the end of the month.
    anyway,
    the good news is that I phoned the garage where I had the MOT done, and they have the log book. they didn't want to put it in the post, as they didn't know me, and figured I'd turn up soon enough.
    All's well that ends well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member

If you get a ticket you need to provide proof of purchase dated before ticket within 7 days and the ticket would be cancelled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Les Willis wrote: »
    If you do want a new one, you just send DVLA £25 and fill in a form.

Blooming rip off if you ask me.

Just had to pay for one of those myself. Whilst I am annoyed at myself for losing the blooming thing, I can't see how they can possibly justify £25 for printing off something they have on file already.

Car tax online is brilliant. SO fast and beats all that end of the month post office queuing!
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could happen. Not having it taxed and not displaying a valid tax disc are seperate offences. It's unlikely to be noticed except by an passing traffic warden or plod. So not parking on the street might be a good stategy.
    Can you display the new one from the day you purchase it, or do you have to change it dot on midnight ? :eek:
    I've also heard that the DVLA send out vans roaming early in the morning of the first of the month to try to catch tardy drivers who are a bit slow changing the disc.
    They certainly do - I know there will be at least half a dozen yellow triangles down the street tomoz morning.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FearFactor wrote: »

You aren't going to be told - "No we won't let you tax it for 6 months cos you only have 2 weeks of insurance left".

Ermm, My friend was refused tax at the post office because he had only 2 weeks insurance left to run.
    Went to another one that issues tax and they done it.
    Suppose It all depends what mood the issuing officer is In.