humax foxsat hdr not showing as a network device

merlin777merlin777 Posts: 124
Forum Member
I used to be able to see the humax as a network device on my vista laptop (it's connected to my router ith a network cable). I could access it either through this icon in my network device or through the drive letter I mapped in explorer.

2 days ago I added n NAS to my router. All seemed fine but the next day both the NAS and HDR network device icons had disappeared. I can still access the HDR through the media bundle webif and the mapped drive letter and the NAS through its own webif. I can't map the NAS although it had been before.

I'm puzzled. I assume its a problem with my vista laptop since adding the NAS but all worked fine the first day so why the problem now?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I'm on XP, and not familiar with Vista, so the experience might be different. I've seen that happen regularly for no apparent reason. I go into "Add a network place", go next on several screens and than at "What is the address of this place" in the drop down select the missing device. It pops back into My Network Places. Usually stays there for up to months then suddenly disappears again.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try adding the NAS as a network drive (manually rather than browsing the network) .
  • merlin777merlin777 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Try adding the NAS as a network drive (manually rather than browsing the network) .

sorry for the delay, been in hospital.

I managed to map the drives manually. although i can use their web interfaces ok they seem to come and go randomly from explorer.

recently i had router trouble and after a hard reset ip addresses strated to change. not sure how to fix that.

then today i changed my router and although i can map my nas i can't map my hdr - even though i can use the webif - and i've checked the ip address (which still keeps changing) in the router info to make sure i'm using the right one.
    bit stuck now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merlin777 wrote: »
    sorry for the delay, been in hospital.

I managed to map the drives manually. although i can use their web interfaces ok they seem to come and go randomly from explorer.

recently i had router trouble and after a hard reset ip addresses strated to change. not sure how to fix that.

then today i changed my router and although i can map my nas i can't map my hdr - even though i can use the webif - and i've checked the ip address (which still keeps changing) in the router info to make sure i'm using the right one.
    bit stuck now!

Most routers support adding an "address reservation" so that DHCP will always allocate the same address. This is the recommended way of making sure it does not change.

Check that the workgroup are the same on all network clients including on the WebIf settings page.

Next check that the samba service is running on the Foxsat.

Standby cycle the Foxsat and check in settings it has acquired a IP address.then browse the network from your PC explore and refresh the network (F5) and it should appear.
    Forum Member
    Most routers support adding an "address reservation" so that DHCP will always allocate the same address. This is the recommended way of making sure it does not change.

Check that the workgroup are the same on all network clients including on the WebIf settings page.

Next check that the samba service is running on the Foxsat.

Standby cycle the Foxsat and check in settings it has acquired a IP address.then browse the network from your PC explore and refresh the network (F5) and it should appear.

Aha! Thanks for moving things.

Turned out to be a router firmware issue. Aftersome assle I managed to update the Netgear firmware and suddenly I could map the foxsat.

Now I need tfix the IP addreses on y netork. Please could you point me to some instructions on setting adress reservations? I assume it's something to do with static/dynamic IP addresses but I don't really understand it - especally the bit about choice of IP addresses being within a certain range.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha! Thanks for moving things.

Turned out to be a router firmware issue. Aftersome assle I managed to update the Netgear firmware and suddenly I could map the foxsat.

Now I need tfix the IP addreses on y netork. Please could you point me to some instructions on setting adress reservations? I assume it's something to do with static/dynamic IP addresses but I don't really understand it - especally the bit about choice of IP addresses being within a certain range.

You will find this "address reservation" in the router advanced settings - The router will not let you set this incorrectly as it must be part of the DHCP address pool.

The setting links the Foxsat's network hardware address (MAC address) to an address in the DHCP pool.

If you cannot find it post the router model number and I will look the path up.
    Forum Member
    You will find this "address reservation" in the router advanced settings - The router will not let you set this incorrectly as it must be part of the DHCP address pool.

The setting links the Foxsat's network hardware address (MAC address) to an address in the DHCP pool.

If you cannot find it post the router model number and I will look the path up.

OK - i'm getting closer. Is it possible to use a device name instead of the ip address?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - i'm getting closer. Is it possible to use a device name instead of the ip address?

I rather think not.