Options

What TV shows jumped the shark in your opinion?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,870
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Waterloo road.

The school moved to Scotland.

Blakes 7.

Then...no Blake, and not 7. Unless you add a computer.

No shit!! Really?

I've never watched the show outside of a couple of episodes and that just sounds insane.

Someone in a pre-production meeting actually piped up "I know, lets move the school several hundred miles into another country."

And people around the table went "Hmmm...good idea..."

Bloody hell...
    pete137 wrote: »
    Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Should have ended when Amstell left.

Agree it should have ended then, it had run out of steam but I wouldn't class that as a Jump the Shark moment.

And people do seem to be getting confused between a show running out of ideas and stem, and a show doing something so outrageously desperate and unlikely because they've exhausted all other normal ideas - that is 'Jumping the Shark'.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely Emmerdale's plane crash is on the list of "Jumped the shark" moments.

Sunset Beach. Ok, clearly it was never the world's most sensible soap opera, but between the whole "Poseidon Adventure"-type story arc and the supernatural diamonds arc it clearly went into batshit-crazy territory.

I do laugh at people saying "Oh, Big Brother when it went to Channel 5". Big Brother went wrong pretty much after the first series. Series one was a genuinely interesting social/psychological experiment with some largely normal folk participating in a novel gameshow-type format, and it was largely portrayed as such in the TV editing.

Series 2 they realised that the "interesting social experiment aspect" novelty was already pretty much dead and the only way to keep it vaguely interesting was to ensure that the alcohol never stopped flowing. Series 3 was basically "yeah just load it with attention-seeking weirdos". The only impressive thing about Big Brother is despite the fact it reached ridiculous levels of lunacy and "fake" people as early as Series 3, it STILL manages to annually raise the bar of airtime for unlikeable fake "human beings", like a nuclear reactor gone into runaway meltdown.