Options

Quite excited watching Labour Conference!

Comments

• Options
    James_OrtonJames_Orton Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So. Corbyn for PM after that. Power to the people and all that.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    He's not the most engaging speaker. It's like he just can't be bothered.

Also, a new deal? Stealing slogans from Blair, eh ;-)

And the 'together' bit from the Tories. lol
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Nowt wrong with that but what really matters is the electorate.

At present the polls show 41% Conservative and 26% Labour.
  • Options
    Mou Mou LandMou Mou Land Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Shadow Cabinet woman being interviewed by Neil is absolutely awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'd think so. She's also appeared on many panel shows.

Perhaps she's just tired out from writing Labour's Defence policy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This Shadow Cabinet woman being interviewed by Neil is absolutely awful.

"Where's the money coming from", asked Neil and she just looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Trance like.
  • Options
    AristaeusAristaeus Posts: 9,974
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    At present the polls show 41% Conservative and 26% Labour.

We've been through this already. The polls don't show this; one poll shows it. Other recent polls show Labour on 31-34%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aristaeus wrote: »
    We've been through this already. The polls don't show this; one poll shows it. Other recent polls show Labour on 31-34%.

The weekly voting intention poll is posted in the Opinion Polls thread every week and that is what the latest one shows.

Latest Opinion polls figures - ICM Poll

CON 41%
    LAB 26%
    UKIP 14%
    LD 8%
    GRN 4%

25 September 2016

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1847664/labour-faces-mass-defeat-at-next-election-after-jeremy-corbyn-is-voted-to-remain-leader-shocking-poll-suggests/

What poll shows 31 - 34?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Where's the money coming from", asked Neil and she just looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Trance like.

And the 'we are going to be using the same tools as Phillip Hammond' was not a good line to repeat 3 or 4 times.

If you are using those tools, then why bother changing the operator?
  • Options
    cmazzacmazza Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She really wasn't prepared for that, no idea why though??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cmazza wrote: »

Didn't he say the treasury team were unavailable and she was from some other department?

Better to swallow the embarrassment and send no one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cmazza wrote: »

I am constantly amazed by how many people put themselves forward to be interviewed by Neil and are utterly clueless. Don't they know that he is one of the best briefed interviewers in the business?
  • Options
    JavedJaved Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    McDonnnell is going to ban tax avoidance which is perfectly legal.

Yes I'm not sure that's going to work :kitty:
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's free to basically say what he wants as PLP have already written off the 2020 elections so he's probably thinking that he might as well give the activists what they want for a few years, cheer them up and create a buzz.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am constantly amazed by how many people put themselves forward to be interviewed by Neil and are utterly clueless. Don't they know that he is one of the best briefed interviewers in the business?

The bit about income and productivity percentage levels was priceless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mcdonell doesn't sound very excited. He sounds tired.

Yes I agree. I think there is a lot of argee bargee behind the scenes. Clive Lewis and Jeremy were arguing over his speech earlier and the unions are furious over the ban on fracking. McDonnell also ended very abruptly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't he say the treasury team were unavailable and she was from some other department?

Better to swallow the embarrassment and send no one.

She was better than Seema Malhotra last year but not a great deal. Seema just kept repeating " the Shadow a Chancellor has been very clear, that, ummm, he the Shadow Chancellor has been very clear that...." Desperately wishing the time was up!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bit about income and productivity percentage levels was priceless.

Her eyes glazed over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SEXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    I'm listening to McDonnell's speech. Talk about promising to repaint rainbows a different colour. He's deluded to boot. He seems to think the world is as keen on Marxism as he is.

He makes Corbyn look credible and is a poisonous liar and yet I still wouldn't call on anyone to lynch him

Deluded marxist is too polite. All the usual left wing fantasy goodies, most of which they wouldn't deliver, as usual and no-one to cover the costs, as usual. Thank goodness they have no chance of power and long may it last.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the plus side, McDonnell didn't try and incite a mob to lynch any women today.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McDonnnell is going to ban tax avoidance which is perfectly legal.

Hmmm.

In 2015, Labour ran a surplus of £4.3 million, but paid zero tax, while the Conservative Party ran a surplus of just over £1 million and paid £238,000 in tax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Hmmm.

In 2015, Labour ran a surplus of £4.3 million, but paid zero tax, while the Conservative Party ran a surplus of just over £1 million and paid £238,000 in tax.

The Tory Party needs better accountants ! ;)
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Javed wrote: »
    I can see why the Momentum bods are so bouyed up. National Investment Bank, bigger co-operative sector, no fracking, stop selling arms, 10 pound Minimum Wage, Keynesian economics, high skilled high paid jobs, investment.....
    It's actually a very exciting vision!

It's a shame it's Corbyn and McDonnell leading on these ideas because I do like the ideas and the narrative!
    WHAT??
    Let me see if I have this straight, you like what's being said, but not whose saying it?

You are weakening aren't you? Go on admit it, just take a deep breath and take that step over to the light side, you will be warmly welcomed, you say you are a Labour supporter then rejoice that the party is getting back to it's core values.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Javed wrote: »
    stop selling arms,

One of our more successful industries? The UK has the second biggest aero-defence industries in the world.

10 pound Minimum Wage,

The have it eaten up by the extra-tax required to pay for ending one of our more successful industries and increased taxation to pay for it all.
    Keynesian economics,

Since when has Labour understood what Keynes said - it certainly was not borrow in the bad times and borrow again in the Good!
    high skilled high paid jobs,

Having got rid of one of our more successful industries that has highly skilled jobs - where from?
    investment.....

Otherwise known as a euphemism for spending money.
    It's actually a very exciting vision!

Exciting? Saying it is one thing - implementing it is a totally different ballgame