Do you think Rihanna is overrated?

Comments

• digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Really?

https://youtu.be/Hqpw9dtKChg

I think she's vastly underrated. Her live vocals are better than she gets credited for, with rather sweeping statements of her being a bad live performer which just aren't true really. She's inconsistent at times but she isn't "terrible" by any means. ANTI is her best album imo.

You only have to look at the overwhelming majority of her live performances from the past decade to deem that Rihanna isn't a good live singer or performer. Her reputation hasn't come from nowhere.

She has set the bar so low for herself throughout her career that she gets praised to high heavens for actually managing to sing Love on the Brain in key.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If she was pig ugly we'd hear a lot less about her music.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Rihanna is a better singer than Britney, Katy and Taylor put together.

Still not much of a compliment :D
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digichant wrote: »
    You only have to look at the overwhelming majority of her live performances from the past decade to deem that Rihanna isn't a good live singer or performer. Her reputation hasn't come from nowhere.

She has set the bar so low for herself throughout her career that she gets praised to high heavens for actually managing to sing Love on the Brain in key.

She's inconsistent I agree but more than capable of great vocals and captivating live performances. She's given plenty of those too. More than she gets credit for. The tone of her voice is totally unique and what sets her apart.

She doesn't like touring in general. That's pretty obvious to me. Diamonds World Tour was an absolute disaster for her reputation. She was much more engaged for the ANTI World Tour but the crowds didn't show up due to her reputation.
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna isn't rated by anyone with any sense.
  • MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked her or saw the attraction to her. I don't like Adele but at least she actually writes her own music, unlike Rihanna, who comes across as classless and with a horrible attitude. Her songs are catchy but I don't think she has that good of a voice, that's just my opinion.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is very overrated. When will R1, Capital and Kiss put her on the blacklist? She's been around for 10 years now!
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MK184 wrote: »
    I've never liked her or saw the attraction to her. I don't like Adele but at least she actually writes her own music, unlike Rihanna, who comes across as classless and with a horrible attitude. Her songs are catchy but I don't think she has that good of a voice, that's just my opinion.

Her songs being catchy isn't even a credit to her. Any song you hear on the radio is going to be catchy, particularly anything written by a professional songwriter. The problem with Rihanna is there are artists who are putting out not only catchy, but also creative, artistic and meaningful music so why would I waste my time listening to Rihanna.
  • Sophie1996Sophie1996 Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. Can't sing, can't dance, she doesn't write her own music, what does she even do? Basically shes famous for looking good and having a good team behind her. She doesn't have any talent whatsoever so it blows my mind that people are saying she does.

Fair play to her she's made a career out of pretty much doing nothing, very few can say they've snoozed their way to the top. But is she talented? no. Is she highly overrated? YES
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna has writing credits on lots of her songs. She can sing. Her dancing is fine.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    If she was pig ugly we'd hear a lot less about her music.

I know what she looks like but I can honestly neither name or hum any of her songs
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like Beyoncé and a few others her career is largely built on selling sex to the kids and adolescents. Most of them have meagre levels of talent.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do find it amusing looking back on this thread, which began 4 years ago. Overrated or not she has lasted 11 years and has had a massive year with arguably her biggest album stateside which was also critically lauded.

I still take her as she is no Bowie for example maybe not even a Madonna, but after 11 years at the top surely that says something.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    She's ok. She's not a pop legend but she has some decent songs and there are a few hidden gems on her albums. I have GGGB Reloaded and Rated R and I think those albums were her best albums. I also have A Girl Like Me which is ok but not great. I guess she's more a singles artist. I prefer her more poppy singles to her urban stuff though.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Sophie1996 wrote: »
    Absolutely. Can't sing, can't dance, she doesn't write her own music, what does she even do? Basically shes famous for looking good and having a good team behind her. She doesn't have any talent whatsoever so it blows my mind that people are saying she does.

Fair play to her she's made a career out of pretty much doing nothing, very few can say they've snoozed their way to the top. But is she talented? no. Is she highly overrated? YES

Spot on. She sings through her nose , I can't think of a decent song she's released. Only thing she can do is sell sex which technically is down to her puppetmasters pulling the strings.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    Spot on. She sings through her nose , I can't think of a decent song she's released. Only thing she can do is sell sex which technically is down to her puppetmasters pulling the strings.

If her music was shit none of that would matter. She has released some brilliant pop songs, with plenty of more interesting stuff thrown in on her albums (the ones I've heard, at least). IMO she's far from overrated and it's not all about sex. Well, she has a long way to go before she reaches the heady heights of the kings of overrated - Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars. :p
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over-rated based on what criteria? How do those who consider her over-rated perceive her to be rated to know she's 'over' rated? :confused:

She's incredibly attractive, seems to be averse to clothing, has the clout to collaborate with some very talented artists and musicians, and either helps create, or at least recognises, a very catchy pop song when she hears one to lend her vocals to. Consequently she gets a shed load of media attention and has an impressive back-catalogue. Whether one thinks she's artistically or creatively talented is largely beside the point. She's 'rated' exactly as she should be. Highly, in terms of talent to market herself and put out a kick-ass hit, and lowly in terms of vocal and writing skill. I daresay anyone who considers the singing and writing side to be the be-all-and-end-all of music only see the latter, whereas anyone who just judges purely on the music they put their name to only sees the former.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .......... lucky to have producers that give her good songs.

That's debatable.
    To put it diplomatically, I would put it like.......lucky to have producers [song writers/music writers] who have been tested to have traction in the music marketplace :D (not sure that is entirely true on her 2 latest album releases though, Roc Nation seem to be making musical direction choices that do not entirely follow entirely conventional market maximisation principles :confused:, possibly in an attempt to break new musical ground within the pop sphere).
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Over-rated based on what criteria? How do those who consider her over-rated perceive her to be rated to know she's 'over' rated? :confused:

She's incredibly attractive, seems to be averse to clothing, has the clout to collaborate with some very talented artists and musicians, and either helps create, or at least recognises, a very catchy pop song when she hears one to lend her vocals to. Consequently she gets a shed load of media attention and has an impressive back-catalogue. Whether one thinks she's artistically or creatively talented is largely beside the point. She's 'rated' exactly as she should be. Highly, in terms of talent to market herself and put out a kick-ass hit, and lowly in terms of vocal and writing skill. I daresay anyone who considers the singing and writing side to be the be-all-and-end-all of music only see the latter, whereas anyone who just judges purely on the music they put their name to only sees the former.

.....yes, but in your opinion what do you think :p (skirting around the issue a little bit me thinks :D).

Personally, I've never rated her.She is beginning to get into 'elderly states[music]woman' status, in terms as a single selling chart artist, anyway.Rhianna has only had 3 top twenty uk/us hits since 2013 (admittedly one number 1).Along with Katy Perry (who hasn't had even one top twenty uk/us single hit since 2013).
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .....yes, but in your opinion what do you think :p (skirting around the issue a little bit me thinks :D).
    LOL :D It's not so much skirting round the issue, more that I've never really understood the whole over/ under rated discussion, as I never know what criteria people are using to consider it.

I'd say she's 'rated' just about right. I can't say she's under-rated, because that suggests I think she should be better known (which would be impossible) and more popular than she is, but I can't claim she's over-rated either because although she might not be the best singer in the world and doesn't write her own material, it's not as if she claims she is or does or is trying to be anything other than a pop star and have fun doing it. She puts out damn fine catchy pop tunes that appeal to her demographic and sell well more often than not, and the amount of media exposure and airplay she gets is probably in proportion.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sucks

(probably)
  • Kirsty_Jones90Kirsty_Jones90 Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sophie1996 wrote: »

Still don't get the absolute benefit of someone writing their own songs and making them superior. I'd rather listen to overproduced tracks that are fun than some dull whining girl with a guitar that makes me want to fall alsleep.
    It is odd if 5 or more people write the lyrics for 1 song, true but I bet maybe only 12% of us could keep up 11 years of this Rihanna career she has so far, if she was talentless she had been traded in already.
  • Paddy396Paddy396 Posts: 17
    Forum Member

Personally, I've never rated her.She is beginning to get into 'elderly states[music]woman' status, in terms as a single selling chart artist, anyway.Rhianna has only had 3 top twenty uk/us hits since 2013 (admittedly one number 1).Along with Katy Perry (who hasn't had even one top twenty uk/us single hit since 2013).

She's had six top 10 hits in the UK since 2013:

Stay #4
    FourFiveSeconds #3
    Work #2
    The Monster #1
    This Is What You Came For #2
    Too Good #3

That's more than Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Adele, Madonna, Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift.

In the US she's had six top 10 hits and a further four top 20 hits since 2013.

And yes collaborations do count.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My younger sis is into all this kinda stuff & my niece is now part of that Rhianna/Gaga/Beyonce/Kardashian realnizz with a dollop of misogynistic rap/hippity-hoppity stuff chucked in for good measure... lovely.

Yep, all the above have at least 5 good pop songs (individually), under their belts, you'd be silly not to acknowledge that....

However...I've got Kelis & Roisin Murphy neither of whom need to chuck their vages in my poor face to sell their units (in the false name of 'female empowerment')and I'm more than happy. I'm truly inspired;-)

Winner-winner-chicken-dinner!:D

PS: out of the x3 singers mentioned above in the 1st paragragh, imo Gaga has the talent backed by genuine love for her craft even if I don't buy her stuff.

I remember Rihanna from 'Pom de Replay', when my sis was into her & she has a particular way of singing, it's very affected & flat & imo sounds like shes constipated & I have a feeling it's not her natural singing voice. Time will tell.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    If her music was shit none of that would matter. She has released some brilliant pop songs, with plenty of more interesting stuff thrown in on her albums (the ones I've heard, at least). IMO she's far from overrated and it's not all about sex. Well, she has a long way to go before she reaches the heady heights of the kings of overrated - Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars. :p

We'll have to agree to disagree, as I can't think of a decent pop song by her. She also released my most hated song ever that bloody dirge called Umbrella.