Options

Lacklustre partners?

DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
Forum Member
✭✭
Am I the only one who thought two of the acts tonight have great potential, but were dragged down by a sub-par partner.

First off, Grace and Ted. I thought Grace had a fantastic voice, and whilst Ted has a decent voice for a man his age. it doesn't really match his grand daughter's in style or talent.

Then there was Pippa and Buddy. I thought Pippa had a bloody brilliant voice, but apparantly a dog barking throughout somehow made it better? Baffling judging decisions in my opinion.

Does anyone agree that, although harsh, Ted and Buddy should be given the boot?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think either were 'needed' as such and actually worsened the act, but both were clever ploys to get them through.

Average singers don't get through, but grandads and cute little puppies do. Maybe I'm just cynical, but that's how it came across to me.
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the partners made both acts stand out as different. Without the partners they would be the same old- same old we see every series.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selena wrote: »
    I thought the partners made both acts stand out as different. Without the partners they would be the same old- same old we see every series.

They were definitely different, but as has been pointed out, I think they just made the act worse overall. A yelping dog may get my attention, but it's not going to get my praise and it certainly won't get my vote.
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    They were definitely different, but as has been pointed out, I think they just made the act worse overall. A yelping dog may get my attention, but it's not going to get my praise and it certainly won't get my vote.

I see your point reading Pip and Buddy. :) But I think that the Grandfather made the other act. It was him that made me laugh and smile not the Granddaughter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditch grandpa and the dog and you got two great acts in Grace and Pippa. In fact, put the dog and grandpa together as a kind of comedy act, singing, and grandpa doing his deaf thing.
  • Options
    Faria262Faria262 Posts: 6,952
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Ditch grandpa and the dog and you got two great acts in Grace and Pippa. In fact, put the dog and grandpa together as a kind of comedy act, singing, and grandpa doing his deaf thing.

Haha that's what I was thinking, put Ted and Buddy together! :)

Both did well considering Ted's age and Buddy's species, but anywhere other than BGT, the girls will probably be better suited to performing solo most of the time :)

xxxx
  • Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was more entertained by the grand-dad and Grace at the start of their act and I wondered if they had cleverly incorporated that bit of comedy in to the sketch?

All that pretending to be a bit deaf and senile. I am sure it was set up and if so, amusingly done. If they had just come on and sang together it wouldn't have had the same effect on me.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dog clearly objected to its owner's singing - as did I. She was awful.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A smart move from both girls - on their own they'd never have made it to the judges, with the gimmick of the 91 year old man (and I will never cease to be irritated by an audience applauding somebody just for living to an old age) and the cute puppy. As it is, they won't win but will be able to maybe open a couple of doors they wouldn't have done with just their pleasant - but ordinary - voices.