Options

Do you grieve over a pet?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a black Labrador . We got him when I was 9 years old and he had to be put down when I was 20 .

Absolutely heartbroken :cry::cry: he was the best friend I ever had . :(
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might if the pet was killed but when my budgie died last year I just felt a bit sad. It wasn't unexpected at that point. I still remember him now and again but they are pleasant memories that make me smile.
  • Options
    jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,716
    Forum Member
    Sorry for your loss of your cat Cherry

This may make you smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-i_1PywXA
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Today my little grey cat was tragically killed by a car and I am honestly heartbroken, however my emotional retarded other half shows no sign of emotion and thinks im allien to display such signs of grief for an "animal" :eek: My children were visibly deverstated and even then he showed little understanding.

I honestly can not understand his lack of emotion to such a tragic event.

Hes made me so bloody mad im sleeping on the sofa! How can he be so coldhearted!! Yes I am in domestic emotion overload but it's the princible!!! :mad::o:cry::(

Do you or would you grieve over a pet?

Very much so. I've lost two cats over the last 10 years, both to illness, and, just like you, I was devastated. You can get really attached to pets, and the unconditional affection they bring you, without question or criticism on a day by day basis.

Sorry to say, your other half is a moron in this regard, as are the many who say "it's only a cat/dog".

My sympathies are 100% with you in your very sad loss.

Some lovely comforting replies in this thread btw :)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry to hear the, OP. My cat Winnie was hit by a car in 2011 and I was absolutely devastated. She was my baby. :( I still cry sometimes.
  • Options
    ravedadaveravedadave Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Most Certainly, am going through it at the minute.

My hamster has been ill for a number of months now with a tumer, I know people think it's sad but she was my best friend I've been working long hours over the last few years, which has put a huge strain on my social life making it non existent, having Pickles around made that easier.

She got worse on saturday her eye was shut closed, Another trip to the vets managed to get it open, but she had lost lot's of weight, but she remained active so we always decided her quality of life was good. I got up Sunday to find her licking the plastic on her cage to drink water droplets, it appeared she took a turn for the worse overnight, I fed her water and she gulped it down. It was at that point I realised she was suffering and took her back to the vets to be put to sleep.

I was devistated / still am, The loss is horrendous, I know it's only a "Hamster" but the attachment I made was Intense.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more saddened by the death of animals than humans that's for sure.
  • Options
    chaoticspiritchaoticspirit Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I've never understood the 'it's just an animal' attitude. I've got a houseful of pets and they're part of the family. They all have individual personalities and their own quirks, just like people do. How can you NOT get attached to them and grieve for them when they go?
    Anyone who honestly has no emotional bond to a pet probably shouldn't have them.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's natural to grieve over a pet. Our dog isn't like part of the family, he is part of the family. It's heartbreaking to lose an animal you have shared your life with.

(Edited to correct typo.)
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry for your loss, Cherry.

I've grieved more over the death of my pets than I have for some of my own human family members. You've been bereaved and you're entitled to grieve. Much love to you. x
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i do...I have lost a 17 year old and a 15 year old dog over the last few years, The 17 year old is buried under a rose bush in the garden, the 15 year old was cremated and I have his ashes still in a little box with his name on it.

I have 3 other dogs that are nearing that age now and am dreading losing them, but that's part and parcel of keeping domestic animals. They become part of your family and it's just heart breaking when they go. :(
  • Options
    Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat died in February and it broke my heart! I grieved for him alright!! It still hurts now.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat Henry died three years ago at the grand old age of 19.

I cried my eyes out, animals become part of the family, and it is devastating when they go.

Grieve as much as you want to OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    So sorry for your loss of your wee one Cherry. I always find the death of one of my pets far more deeply than any other death. My pets are just like my children to me. Sad that may be but tough. They are a huge huge part of my life and that is the way it should be as far as I am concerned. Big hugs. xx
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    ravedadave wrote: »
    Most Certainly, am going through it at the minute.

My hamster has been ill for a number of months now with a tumer, I know people think it's sad but she was my best friend I've been working long hours over the last few years, which has put a huge strain on my social life making it non existent, having Pickles around made that easier.

She got worse on saturday her eye was shut closed, Another trip to the vets managed to get it open, but she had lost lot's of weight, but she remained active so we always decided her quality of life was good. I got up Sunday to find her licking the plastic on her cage to drink water droplets, it appeared she took a turn for the worse overnight, I fed her water and she gulped it down. It was at that point I realised she was suffering and took her back to the vets to be put to sleep.

I was devistated / still am, The loss is horrendous, I know it's only a "Hamster" but the attachment I made was Intense.

Enough with the 'only a hamster':eek:. You can get really attached to them and they're such friendly little animals. My daughter's had her hamster for almost 2 years now and I know I'll be upset when he finally dies. He had one eye removed about a year ago and then went blind in the other but he still clambers around his cage and comes to the bars for a treat when he hears you come into the room.

We've also got a cat but he's a pretty anti-social bastard so I won't be heartbroken when he pegs out.;)
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wanted to say thank you so much for the very kind posts, I was in a little bit of an emotional state last night. Your kind words have been such a comfort. My OH appologised for being such an insensitive git.
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Yes of course.

So sorry for your loss. Hope you are feeling a little better today.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your OH is an A-hole, although I am sure he is hurting in his own "manly" way.

Our childhood cat had been with us for almost 19 years.. I couldn't even remember not having her! We were all devastated when she was put to sleep... In-fact it took my Mum best part of a decade to feel up to getting another cat.

We have a 5 year old kitty ourselves and she is part of the family (she is in my bad books at the moment and she has taken to being very naughty at night BUT I still love her!!)
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry to hear about your cat, Cherry. Grieving for a much-loved pet is perfectly normal, imo.

I was pretty upset when I had to have my (very old) dog put to sleep 11 years ago and still miss lots of his funny ways. I had the comfort of knowing that he was old, and ill, and that I was sparing him further suffering though, to lose an animal in an accident is really tough.

I'm dreading losing the elder of the 2 dogs I have now, he is such an eccentric little character he will truly be irreplaceable.

Glad the OH has apologised, too!
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm devastated when my pets die. It's a horrible time :(

It certainly is.

We had to have our beloved dog put to sleep about 6 years ago. Still can`t bring myself to have another pet because I just don`t want to deal with the heartbreak of having to have them put to sleep when they`re either too old or too sick.:(
  • Options
    fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grieved for my goldfish Bubbles, who died of unknown causes after 5 years
  • Options
    FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Today my little grey cat was tragically killed by a car and I am honestly heartbroken, however my emotional retarded other half shows no sign of emotion and thinks im allien to display such signs of grief for an "animal" :eek: My children were visibly deverstated and even then he showed little understanding.

I honestly can not understand his lack of emotion to such a tragic event.

Hes made me so bloody mad im sleeping on the sofa! How can he be so coldhearted!! Yes I am in domestic emotion overload but it's the princible!!! :mad::o:cry::(

Do you or would you grieve over a pet?

You are absolutely right to grieve, to me a pet is a member of the family and over the years I have been more upset at losing pets than certain relatives. Your OT should be supporting you and the children. If he lost a close relative and was upset he would (I imagine) expect you to have sympathy and be there for him and he should do the same for you. In fact I personally would go as far to seriously question my relationship if my OT did that, somebody who can't understand your love for a pet is not the type of person I would either want around me or my children. Perhaps he thinks by making light of the situation it will be helpful to you and somehow help you "get over it"??

Sorry for your loss and take as long as you need to grieve - there is no right or wrong way to do this and no set time for how long it takes you to get over these things. I hope your OT shows more understanding but there is always a friendly / sympathetic ear on here, especially the pets forum .... xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog would have been 18 today. He died 2 years ago - I was and still am heartbroken. He was my best friend
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when my cat died over a year ago I was very upset. I got no sympathy from a few people I told. because they obviously don't get that you can have a connection to a pet as strong as you can to a friend.

I still think of Sasha, and I will always miss her. she was a lovely cat. Id actually give up any material thing to get her back.
    but it doesn't work like that. she is gone forever. but that's the way it is with everyone and everything.
    I was more upset when sasha died than I was when my granddad died. I loved her more.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww these replies are so sad :cry:

But its lovely to read about so many animals having lovely lives and lovely owners. That's the thing to hold onto, that you gave your cat a good life, regardless of how long they were here for.