Options

SSD units.

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need more space, so I am looking at a 250GB SS to replace my 120GB one. so which make.
Corsair, Samsung or Crucial. My old one is a corsair and it works fine, but I do not see them updating much in the last couple of years.

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are a bit more pricy but samsung every time for me. The 850 evo comes with a 5 year warranty.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a 250GB EVO and an MX100 256GB. The first MX100 started freezing on me for about 10 seconds each time. The second one I got has been very reliable indeed (must have been very unlucky with the first one). However, I'll wait a couple of months before I review it. I got a Crucial because they have an excellent reputation for reliability and the MX100 that's in my tower is certainly showing this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    They are a bit more pricy but samsung every time for me. The 850 evo comes with a 5 year warranty.

A 250GB 850 EVO should be able to take about 400TBs written to it before it can't be written to anymore. For even heavy users, 400TBs is a phenomenal amount. You'd have to write about 237GBs a day to it for 5 years to use up all its write cycles. I don't think you could really ask for more than that.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    250GB really is the minimum size drive you need these days, I'd say save your pennies and buy even bigger.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    A 250GB 850 EVO should be able to take about 400TBs written to it before it can't be written to anymore. For even heavy users, 400TBs is a phenomenal amount. You'd have to write about 237GBs a day to it for 5 years to use up all its write cycles. I don't think you could really ask for more than that.
    400 TBs WOW!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    400 TBs WOW!

I read that the 850 EVO has 2,000 write cycles and 2,000 x 200GBs is 400TBs. I say 200GBs because the operating system will be on while you're writing to it.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that the 850 EVO has 2,000 write cycles and 2,000 x 200GBs is 400TBs. I say 200GBs because the operating system will be on while you're writing to it.

You're forgetting to account for how NAND flash storage works. You can't write byte-by-byte to the NAND storage. A whole NAND page has to be written even if only 1 byte needs changing. (The drive's firmware works to prevent this sort of extreme example where possible.)

Samsung's own total bytes written (TBW) endurance estimations for the 850 series are 75 TB for 120 & 250 GB drives, and 150 TB for the 500 GB & 1 TB models.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_Data_Sheet_rev_1_0.pdf
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    250GB really is the minimum size drive you need these days, I'd say save your pennies and buy even bigger.

If you direct the bulk of your long-term data (not programs) to a separate large HDD, you don't need even a 250GB SSD and real world system speed differences will be minor. I have an excellent Samsung 850 EVO Basic 120 GB SSD, dual booting W7 and W8, and after a year there is plenty of spare space (with occasional clear outs to the hdd). When money is a factor, it's still better value/performance to spend it on a small fast SSD + large HDD for data, than to buy large SSD(s) IMO.
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even with a dual disk system, 120GB can be too small for Windows and applications.

I just moved from 120GB to a 500GB Samsung Evo after reading a good review. Am perfectly happy and the 5 year warranty is indeed reassuring. I used Macrium to clone old to new, which was painless, but the Samsung also comes with its own software to do the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

Not so easy at the moment, being off work, I do not get paid sick pay after this week, just SSP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    If you direct the bulk of your long-term data (not programs) to a separate large HDD, you don't need even a 250GB SSD and real world system speed differences will be minor. I have an excellent Samsung 850 EVO Basic 120 GB SSD, dual booting W7 and W8, and after a year there is plenty of spare space (with occasional clear outs to the hdd). When money is a factor, it's still better value/performance to spend it on a small fast SSD + large HDD for data, than to buy large SSD(s) IMO.

I have a lot of software, A load of Adobe stuff, Vegas and other bits, it do not take long to take 120GB up. I do have some stored on a hybrid seagate, but I can tellt he difference.

I do not have any data stored on my SSD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    Even with a dual disk system, 120GB can be too small for Windows and applications.

I just moved from 120GB to a 500GB Samsung Evo after reading a good review. Am perfectly happy and the 5 year warranty is indeed reassuring. I used Macrium to clone old to new, which was painless, but the Samsung also comes with its own software to do the same.

500 is out of my price range at the moment, it would be nice.

Still have no idea which make to go for. I do like Crucial, never had a Samsung drive, not that fond of Samsung stuff to be honest, but if the reliability is there then I will look at them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    You're forgetting to account for how NAND flash storage works. You can't write byte-by-byte to the NAND storage. A whole NAND page has to be written even if only 1 byte needs changing. (The drive's firmware works to prevent this sort of extreme example where possible.)

Samsung's own total bytes written (TBW) endurance estimations for the 850 series are 75 TB for 120 & 250 GB drives, and 150 TB for the 500 GB & 1 TB models.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_Data_Sheet_rev_1_0.pdf

The endurance of the 120GB 840 EVO. The 850 EVO is supposed to have far more endurance.

http://ssdendurancetest.com/ssd-endurance-test-report/Samsung-840-EVO-120
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The endurance of the 120GB 840 EVO. The 850 EVO is supposed to have far more endurance.

http://ssdendurancetest.com/ssd-endurance-test-report/Samsung-840-EVO-120

Sustained write tests - though interesting - are not indicative of real world longevity as the drive has enough incoming data to ensure every NAND page is fully utilised to it's maximum potential.

The is not going to happen in the real word.

Okay, Samsung's estimated endurance figures are probably a little on the cautious site, but I seriously doubt you're going to get over 5 times the manufacturer's stated write endurance in the real world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Sustained write tests - though interesting - are not indicative of real world longevity as the drive has enough incoming data to ensure every NAND page is fully utilised to it's maximum potential.

The is not going to happen in the real word.

Okay, Samsung's estimated endurance figures are probably a little on the cautious site, but I seriously doubt you're going to get over 5 times the manufacturer's stated write endurance in the real world.

Yeah, I do agree that it's better to switch a system off before the next lot of writes, but it does give an indication of how long it could last for in the real world. Not that it matters anyway, because today's SSDs will have more than enough endurance for even heavy users.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a read of this, while they admit the test is not 100% real world example, it does indicate

http://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment

I think Samsung quotes 256GB 840 Pro having lifespan of around 750TB (and I would assume that would optimal writes), the test sample has passed 2,000 TB and still going.

Bottom line, home users do NOT need to worry about their drives wearing out before they reach end of useful life due to capacity issues. And I won't bother with anything below 200GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reliability is more or less the same with hem all for the home use I should think. My corsair have been great and still works fine, It is just I need more space.

Speeds have improved since I had the corsair, I will have to look at the difference in speeds, between my Corsair and others when I feel a bit more like it. I expect there is a fair bit of difference.

I am thinking of maybe looking at something like a 500GB now, May be worth the extra cost, then it should last me for another 5 years.

My main problem is because my software is split over two drives, I will need to reinstall the whole machine. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many drives, so much info. The Corsair Neutron drives are getting some good reviews.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    So many drives, so much info. The Corsair Neutron drives are getting some good reviews.

Why not just go down the M.2 route? There's supposed to be less latency with them. I'm guessing that's because the communication between the SSD and the motherboard has been greatly reduced because of there being no need for a cable. Saying this though, you'd need an M.2 compatible motherboard, obviously.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I have a lot of software, A load of Adobe stuff, Vegas and other bits, it do not take long to take 120GB up. I do have some stored on a hybrid seagate, but I can tellt he difference.

I do not have any data stored on my SSD.

Well I have stuff like PowerDirector 12 Ultimate (4GB, ridiculous!!!) Photoshop Lightroom and more but even so programs aren't what periodically fill up my C: drive, it's data, even though I try to save everything to separate hard drives. I occasionally forget (that desktop is SOOOO handy and some programs keep on trying to default to C: for data, some sites/browsers always try to save downloads to C: !).

So I've just cleared off another 17GB of stuff to the HDD, and all is well in d'@ve's 66GB SSD partition once again. :cool: I think most people would be surprised how much data, not programs, has crept onto their C: drive over the years... 120GB is way more than enough for most people, if data is kept off or regularly cleared off it. I can expand my partition up to that if I ever need to, due to ever-bloating software, but I will probably be fine until I need my next new system in maybe 5 years time.

Ways to save yourself a packet, or spend it on a new backup drive! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just go down the M.2 route? There's supposed to be less latency with them. I'm guessing that's because the communication between the SSD and the motherboard has been greatly reduced because of there being no need for a cable. Saying this though, you'd need an M.2 compatible motherboard, obviously.

Because i have not got a M.2 motherboard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Well I have stuff like PowerDirector 12 Ultimate (4GB, ridiculous!!!) Photoshop Lightroom and more but even so programs aren't what periodically fill up my C: drive, it's data, even though I try to save everything to separate hard drives. I occasionally forget (that desktop is SOOOO handy and some programs keep on trying to default to C: for data, some sites/browsers always try to save downloads to C: !).

So I've just cleared off another 17GB of stuff to the HDD, and all is well in d'@ve's 66GB SSD partition once again. :cool: I think most people would be surprised how much data, not programs, has crept onto their C: drive over the years... 120GB is way more than enough for most people, if data is kept off or regularly cleared off it. I can expand my partition up to that if I ever need to, due to ever-bloating software, but I will probably be fine until I need my next new system in maybe 5 years time.

Ways to save yourself a packet, or spend it on a new backup drive! ;)

All my software is set to send data to the 2TB drive, apart from Vegas, where it goes to the seagate hybrid drive. Document and phto folders are linked tot he 2TB drive.

i expect there is some data on the c drive, but not much.

I got enough back up drives, a 1TB deck top hitachi, a 2TB toshiba portable and a 1TB seagate portable as well as my 1TB NAS.

Plus a load of usb thumb drives.

I will have a better look tomorrow at my options when I am more in the world of the living, I hope.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had no problems with my Crucials (M500/M550)..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really wouldn't bother with M.2 unless you have a specific reason. Price to performance ration is not worth it for a majority of home users.

And M.2 isn't so much about latency which is pretty much the same as SATA. The advantage of M.2 is that it hangs directly off the PCIe bus allowing much greater bandwidth and cable length has nothing to do with that. Usual problem of varying standards but there are M.2 pushing around 1GB/sec read and write. This is still slower than a PCIe SSD card.

Finally I personally think that M.2 is a stop gap solution with SSD on a DIMM being the way forward for high performance storage.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My crucial M500 is freezing, clicking the start menu on xp it freezes for 10 seconds and fine after that for a little while then starts again.

Been doing it for ages and not sure whether to change it or not, health is at 89% and nearly 3 years old with the new pc.