Options

Jon Stewart's rally to restore sanity

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aenaryn wrote: »
    I think these rallies are exactly what America needs. It seems to me that a kind of madness has overtaken large sections of the American public and parts of the media.

These rallies are all about saying "take it down a notch" -- such a good message. Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are the best politicians you guys don't yet have.

indeed - I can't see a whingebag like Jeremy Hardy doing anything similar :mad:
  • Options
    teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    anyone from Britain planning to go to this?
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    teacup333 wrote: »
    anyone from Britain planning to go to this?

Yes, but it depends on six things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why anyone would go, to this or Beck's, both spout their own ideals and use their influence for certain gains because they have followings who don't question shit. Stewart doesn't like people who question things government does whether he is in character or out of character, I do think there is an extreme in the tea party, a kind of blind following but at the core they want valid things sorted out, but need a refocus within the following.

I found out something quite interesting a few weeks back, Stewart's brother Larry is the "Chef Operating Officer of the New York Stock Exchange", also one of the writers for the Daily Show is a CFR member.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm tempted to go to the rally to restore sanity. It's just that it's halloween weekend which really is party time in NYC. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    There's actually 2 rallys on that day: Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert. Jon's rally is called "Restore Sanity". And Colbert's rally is called "Freak out for Freedom". :D

I was watching both shows ("Daily Show" and "Colbert Report") when they announced it. Pretty hilarious stuff and I keep thinking it's an elaborate joke. But the permits have been approved and the fees have been paid so I'm thinking about going (it's a 4 hour drive from where I live). It's guaranteed to be a crazy day. :D

Colbert's rally is not "Freak out for Freedom" it's "March to Keep Fear Alive".

Colbert IMHO is much more entertaining than Stewart and I don't know why we don't get his show over here as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An internal email reveals that MTV is investing heavily in making a success of Jon Stewart’s counter-rally to Glenn Beck’s incredibly successful August event. But the music network’s tactics give the whole affair a taint similar to October 2nd’s “One Nation” rally, where all that Big Labor-SEIU astro-turfing still wasn’t able to reproduce Beck’s grassroots success. Below is a portion of an email that I’m told just went out to some, and maybe all, MTV employees. The wording is chipper and upbeat enough, but the subtext is worthy of an SEIU thug: [emphasis mine -- and I've removed any links for fear they go to private internal servers]:

Whether you lean left or right, hail from a blue state or red, prefer keeping sanity, fear, or a healthy dose of both alive and well, the one thing we all have in common is that we’ve pledged allegiance to the MTV Networks flag. And when an opportunity arises to support one (or two) of our own. we’ll take it pretty much every time.

You may have heard that Comedy Central’s Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are hosting a little get together on the National Mall in Washington, DC on Saturday, October 30th. … This will be a day when — no matter what transpires from Jon, Stephen, and their special guests — our brothers and sisters at Comedy Central will own the cultural conversation, without question. Who would want to miss that one?

On the morning of October 30th, we’re loading up a fleet of buses here at 1515 Broadway and sending as many of you as we can down to DC for a free one-day, round-trip journey to join in the Rally to Restore Sanity and March to Keep Fear Alive. It’s about a 5 ½ hour trip down 95 to our nation’s capital[.]

In an economy plagued with chronically high unemployment, how would you react to a memo like that? The opening paragraph makes clear that MTV expects you to put your political beliefs aside and take one for the team – in the form of a grueling 11 hour bus ride. The line MTV draws is also clear. Those who choose to attend Stewart’s left-wing event are loyal to the company, and those who choose not to attend … are not. After all, you did pledge allegiance to the “MTV Networks flag,” right?
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant say im too surprised at that, this will end up looking really bad for Comedy Central if its not succesful.

I also fear that despite claims otherwise, this will be a left wing even, rather than an event for all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cant say I'm too surprised at that, this will end up looking really bad for Comedy Central if its not successful.

I doubt it will tank badly. At the very least i think It will be moderately successful but with massive media coverage, heavyweight supporters like Oprah and an increasing amount of shadow rallies cropping up across the States it's being predicted there will be a huge turnout - possibly bigger than Beck's.

You never can tell though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jon wanted it to be bipartisan but when you have people like Arianna Huffington organising bus rides and the Fox News crew doing negative stories, you're losing an uphill battle. There was certainly a wave of support for Colbert to do an anti-Beck rally but from the very first segment that Jon's rally was announced, he was pointing out that people who called Bush Hitler are as batshit crazy as the ones doing it to Obama now. I don't think he could have been any clearer that the rally was against any and all political extremes.

I also take umbrage with English Guy for saying Jon doesn't like it when people question government. Watch a Mike Huckabee interview and tell me he doesn't enjoy having a well thought out discussion with someone he completely disagrees with, whether it be government or social issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    williamh wrote: »
    Colbert's rally is not "Freak out for Freedom" it's "March to Keep Fear Alive".

Colbert IMHO is much more entertaining than Stewart and I don't know why we don't get his show over here as well.

indeed theres plenty of space for colbert over here either on more4 or on comedy central.
    An internal email reveals that MTV is investing heavily in making a success of Jon Stewart’s counter-rally to Glenn Beck’s incredibly successful August event. But the music network’s tactics give the whole affair a taint similar to October 2nd’s “One Nation” rally, where all that Big Labor-SEIU astro-turfing still wasn’t able to reproduce Beck’s grassroots success. Below is a portion of an email that I’m told just went out to some, and maybe all, MTV employees. The wording is chipper and upbeat enough, but the subtext is worthy of an SEIU thug: [emphasis mine -- and I've removed any links for fear they go to private internal servers]:

Whether you lean left or right, hail from a blue state or red, prefer keeping sanity, fear, or a healthy dose of both alive and well, the one thing we all have in common is that we’ve pledged allegiance to the MTV Networks flag. And when an opportunity arises to support one (or two) of our own. we’ll take it pretty much every time.

You may have heard that Comedy Central’s Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are hosting a little get together on the National Mall in Washington, DC on Saturday, October 30th. … This will be a day when — no matter what transpires from Jon, Stephen, and their special guests — our brothers and sisters at Comedy Central will own the cultural conversation, without question. Who would want to miss that one?

On the morning of October 30th, we’re loading up a fleet of buses here at 1515 Broadway and sending as many of you as we can down to DC for a free one-day, round-trip journey to join in the Rally to Restore Sanity and March to Keep Fear Alive. It’s about a 5 ½ hour trip down 95 to our nation’s capital[.]

In an economy plagued with chronically high unemployment, how would you react to a memo like that? The opening paragraph makes clear that MTV expects you to put your political beliefs aside and take one for the team – in the form of a grueling 11 hour bus ride. The line MTV draws is also clear. Those who choose to attend Stewart’s left-wing event are loyal to the company, and those who choose not to attend … are not. After all, you did pledge allegiance to the “MTV Networks flag,” right?

and your point is?
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it will tank badly. At the very least i think It will be moderately successful but with massive media coverage, heavyweight supporters like Oprah and an increasing amount of shadow rallies cropping up across the States it's being predicted there will be a huge turnout - possibly bigger than Beck's.

You never can tell though.
    fair enough, Orpahs support is a big deal, wasnt really sure who else was backing it before that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Barrack Obama is endorsing it so we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Barrack Obama is endorsing it so we'll see what happens.

You can't help but laugh.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Guardian also have text updates on the event...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/30/jon-stewart-rally-restore-sanity
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    So it's Jon Stewart supported by Oprah and Obama, and he has Clinton, Blair and Obama on his programme.

So it's basically a march to support the liberal establishment?

Yay for the government, yay for the liberal media, yay for mass murderers and carpetbaggers as long as they aren't Republicans.

What a great idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live streaming here - looks like a big crowd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anywhwere between 150,000 and 250,000 according to DC Metro Police.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Better stream here:

http://www.comedycentral.com/dcrallylive/

The Mythbusters are on stage now. Sadly, no Kari :(
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live streaming here - looks like a big crowd.

Gulftastic wrote: »
    Better stream here:

http://www.comedycentral.com/dcrallylive/

The Mythbusters are on stage now. Sadly, no Kari :(

Thanks for the links :)
  • Options
    DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Anywhwere between 150,000 and 250,000 according to DC Metro Police.

How many turned-up for Beck? I know Fox eventually reported well over a million - but what was the real reported number?

OMG Ozzy :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cat Stevens and Black Sabbath Mash Up

PMSL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Colbert seemed to provide the majority of the funniest moments but Jon's closing speech was spectacular. I'm sure many will completely rip into it though.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    That's because pro-government rallies are usually the preserve of places like Iran and North Korea.