Derren Brown: Apocalypse, 9pm Ch4&HD, 26 Oct & 2 Nov

Comments

• Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I actually enjoyed the second show and loved the zombie ending!

I thought to myself whether or not it was fake he probably was scared. I imagine i would be if i went to the saw attraction at thorpe park, although i knew it wasnt real i would still jump and be terrified. So i think ultimately if he wasnt hypnotised he would know it wasnt real but the sight and sound of the infected would make you panic especially as he doesnt know how to make it stop.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..........This is getting laughable! I have to give up my career because someone read a book where Derren told them that I couldn't do what I actually do and then as they hold Derren's word as greater than anyone on the planet, they thank him by slagging off his latest show as much as then can..................

Oh dear, I think this may be an over-reaction to a post of mine. I said that I remembered reading a book by DB, some years ago, in which he may have said that stage hypnotism is only the subject 'playing along'. Or I could be mistaken.

I also said I preferred DB's earlier shows to his recent ones. How dreadful of me - but it's only an opinion, not a statement of fact.

I think someone is really hurting here. :D
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what Steven's thoughts on hypnosis are as that is all that matters. Not anyone else's.

But it's a classic response from the clueless 'I read a book once' types. :rolleyes:

This is getting laughable! I have to give up my career because someone read a book where Derren told them that I couldn't do what I actually do and then as they hold Derren's word as greater than anyone on the planet, they thank him by slagging off his latest show as much as then can.

How fickle the Derren fan is. A hero when they want to abuse his writings yet someone who is taking them for a mug when it comes to his latest TV show.

I seriously hope Derren doesn't keep bunnies. :eek:

But you haven't got a career --- you spend most days and nights of the week on here mouthing off about how you know best or wigging out over X Factor.

The point you are still studiously ignoring is that you are claiming one thing is happening and I am saying thats not what the person who has made the f#@#@# show would say.

I am not saying Derren is the worlds foremost authority on hypnotism but I would say he's the worlds foremost authority on Derrens hypnotism.

And the world isn't black and white. I can rate Derren highly without being a sycophant who accepts every piece of stuff he puts out as brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I would like to say it was entertaining but for all the wrong reasons....

but it wasn't event that :(

This was tedious in the extreme......and as for the rapid induction to "sleep" by phone :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Awful...simply awful stuff!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    So many people here are misunderstanding the nature of 'hypnosis' and what Derren does.

It isn't as simple as white - it was all completely real and Steven utterly was himself and believed this was real, really happening
    or black - Steven was an actor and the whole thing was simply acting.

As only a couple of people have pointed out, Derren himself has thrown light on what happens to people who are hypnotised. They believe what is happening around them is real - but ON SOME LEVEL they are aware that something's not quite right, or that they are not actually about to die etc. That, for me, fully explains why Steven at times seems like he's acting, or isn't as terrified as he should be. It explains why he does or doesn't do things that we might do or not do if we were REALLY in that situation. Remember, he's partially in a trance.
    Forum Member
    I reckon the best thing to compare it to is one of those dreams that most people have had where IN the dream you become aware that you think it's a dream - but you're not quite sure - but it seems like you still have to go along with whatever's happening - you can't actually wake yourself up - but on some level you don't feel as terrified because you think it's a dream.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What slightly worried me was that I got a bit of apprentice style vibe from this show.

You know when Lord Sugar says to the candidates " I've arranged for you to ...." and you think "No,the production staff have arrange..."

I just get a sense that Derren wasn't hugely engaged in this one.
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That dosn' explain fainting while on the mobile phone in the style of a silent movie actor.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam_Radney wrote: »
    So many people here are misunderstanding the nature of 'hypnosis' and what Derren does.

It isn't as simple as white - it was all completely real and Steven utterly was himself and believed this was real, really happening

As only a couple of people have pointed out, Derren himself has thrown light on what happens to people who are hypnotised. They believe what is happening around them is real - but ON SOME LEVEL they are aware that something's not quite right, or that they are not actually about to die etc. That, for me, fully explains why Steven at times seems like he's acting, or isn't as terrified as he should be. It explains why he does or doesn't do things that we might do or not do if we were REALLY in that situation. Remember, he's partially in a trance.

So you think Derren can put someone into a trance just like that? Even if that were possible, would it be allowed? The answer is no and no.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly! Why would people expect him to be acting "real", he is in a little bit of a confused dream state it seems. There have been other tricks where Derren has done the same to someone, I remember one with him waking a guy up on a set and giving him a weird dream.

One thing I didn't like on the show that seemed very fake was Derren "directing" the helicopter.
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DODS11 wrote: »
    I loved it! Fake or not, it was great entertainment

Agree :D Enjoyed that ...
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    These two programmes made good viewing and this set up was made to bring out the best in Steven Brosnan in terms of personal development albeit at a rapid pace. Whilst Steven Brosnan was originally a volunteer I'm not sure it was ethically right to do something like this to someone and I certainly wouldn't be involved in anything like this.
    Forum Member
    P.S. I don't know why the 'putting to sleep over the phone' thing is standing out for so many people - Derren Brown has been doing that for many, many years. Remember that he will have done plenty of groundwork in Steven - either during the 'audition' or in various ways leading up to the event itself. Developing a trigger word that then leads people to have exactly the same reaction every time they hear that trigger word is scientific and used in everything from CBT to weightloss...
    Forum Member

As a Clinical Hypnotherapist I have a very good idea what "Hypnosis" is...

and what it isn't is what you have seen by Derren i.e. the two rapid inductions to "sleep" whatever "sleep" is supposed to be..

Hypnosis is a relaxed state where you are fully conscious of your surroundings and cannot be made to do anything you do not want to....

Hypnosis is not mind control/body control, those "hypnotised" by stage magicians like Derren can chose to play along or not...and by play along I mean consciously in full control of their thoughts/actions and feelings.

The "hypnosis" is smoke and mirrors and nothing else
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.S. I don't know why the 'putting to sleep over the phone' thing is standing out for so many people - Derren Brown has been doing that for many, many years. Remember that he will have done plenty of groundwork in Steven - either during the 'audition' or in various ways leading up to the event itself. Developing a trigger word that then leads people to have exactly the same reaction every time they hear that trigger word is scientific and used in everything from CBT to weightloss...

It stands out because its impossible unless the person is plsying along.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P. Developing a trigger word that then leads people to have exactly the same reaction every time they hear that trigger word ..

Yeah mate the trigger word was sleep. Get a grip
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    Even if that were possible, would it be allowed? The answer is no and no.

You can do pretty much whatever you like to people (providing it doesn't damage them) if you get them to agree to it - Steven will have signed a waiver to that effect at the 'audition'.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Oh well enjoyable enough not sure if it's real or fake.
    Why let daylight in on magic I say.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can do pretty much whatever you like to people (providing it doesn't damage them) if you get them to agree to it - Steven will have signed a waiver to that effect at the 'audition'.

Regardless of what was signed, there are ethical considerations. Tampering with someone's mind would not be allowed by any ethical code. Have you any idea about Health and Safety regulations in this country? You aren't even allowed to lift a box in the workplace without proper training.
    Forum Member

You can through conditioning create an "anchor" either auditory or kinesthetic to help conditions like anxiety or a phobia etc...

But never can you put someone to "sleep" as this phenomenon does not exist, therefore you cannot anchor a state that does not exist and furthermore "trigger" a return to that "state" which does not exist in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think next week Derren is going to attempt to hypnotise Santa and make him believe reindeer cant fly and he'll have to use pigs to fly the sleigh.
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunravin wrote: »
    You can through conditioning create an "anchor" either auditory or kinesthetic to help conditions like anxiety or a phobia etc...

But never can you put someone to "sleep" as this phenomenon does not exist, therefore you cannot anchor a state that does not exist and furthermore "trigger" a return to that "state" which does not exist in the first place.

Who said he was a'Sleep' when he fell down?

Was there a caption that only you saw and no one else did?

Just where are you getting your info from? :rolleyes:

Clinical hypnotists who never get out of their comfy office.
  • guvner2009guvner2009 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Haha love how simple some humans are!
    Forum Member
    dunravin wrote: »
    As a Clinical Hypnotherapist I have a very good idea what "Hypnosis" is...

and what it isn't is what you have seen by Derren i.e. the two rapid inductions to "sleep" whatever "sleep" is supposed to be..

Hypnosis is a relaxed state where you are fully conscious of your surroundings and cannot be made to do anything you do not want to....

Hypnosis is not mind control/body control, those "hypnotised" by stage magicians like Derren can chose to play along or not...and by play along I mean consciously in full control of their thoughts/actions and feelings.

The "hypnosis" is smoke and mirrors and nothing else

Derren employs a whole range of techniques. Just because you apparently know what 'hypnosis' is, doesn't mean you know all about everything else he does. If you did, let's face it, you'd be doing what he does and be famous as well.
    Forum Member
    It's worth noting that professions such as medical care are regulated by the government...of course this is to be expected as it would simply be too dangerous to let every Tom, Dick and Harry become a GP/Surgeon without the proper regulated training, supervision, continuous reviews and continued professional development.

To not do so would be dangerous and negligent as these people have our lives in their hands

Is it not telling that "hypnosis" is NOT regulated by the government, that anyone can legally call themselves a "hypnotist" that there is no need to sit exams or study (although there are many courses by private companies)

Would you not think that someone like Derren with the "power" to "control" his subjects to believe/do anything would need to be regulated, same applies to all hypnotists...

Reason its not regulated is because it is nothing more than entertainment.....