I am so disgusted with Torchwood last night and might complain

Comments

• lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    faith11 wrote: »
    I didn't see that scene.If that was last week,my friend came to see me and we were chatting all through the drama so wasn't exactly concentrating.

Believe me that was pretty gruesome too, so you were lucky if you had gruesome scenes.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I felt like complaining not because I felt they were not within their rights to show what they did because they are.I felt like complaining because of how personally upsetting it was to me and I do believe it would have been a better story to show the baddies getting their just desserts rather than one of the good ones like Vera.That's a terrible message to send out.I felt the same when when I watched Bad girls years ago and Yvonne Atkins one of the only few people who dared to stand against a corrupt killer in the prison met with such a bad end by slowly suffocating to death within an enclosed wall.That was on ITV and I did complain but nothing was done about it so in retrospect I wont be complaining anymore as it will not do any good.I might just stop watching and please believe me when I say I never watched torchwood before.This is my first series and I didn't expect it to be so dark.

I'm sorry you were upset, but this is a very selfish attitude. The fact that it is, by admission, a personal feeling discounts the validity of a complaint. You were warned about upsetting scenes, yet you watched. You inflicted it upon yourself - there is no valid complaint there.

Attitudes like this really rile me - take responsibility for your own actions. :mad:

You have to realise, you are in the vast minority (hugely vast minority, I would say) who don't appreciate drama - bad things happen to people all the time in the real world. Do all murder victims deserve it? Telling a dramatic story implicitly means there will be things that cause you to think.

And the fact that you complaied about the demise of someone on Bad Girls - why? And did you seriously expect them to do something about it? What? It was a drama, written specifically to shock.

I would seriously advise you to stay away from post-watershed television; don't watch any film classified above 12A; and don't read any fiction books that are aimed above young adult. Also, avoid all historic documentaries. You might think I'm being mean, but that kind of treatment is everywhere in the creative world.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I'd say you are probably well aware that my opinion of the ridiculous "killing"-off of Vera as expressed in this and the other thread is sincere rather than trolling. And I wouldn't call 2 people disagreeing with my posts "roundedly rebuffed".

Not a martyr, just a good person trying to do what she believed to be right.

As it's a different thread - we won't discuss the other thing here! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Not a martyr, just a good person trying to do what she believed to be right.

As it's a different thread - we won't discuss the other thing here! ;)

I think you'll find that YOU ( pettily ) brought up the subject of the other thread as a weak argument along with your completely unfounded accusation of trolling. And that you'll also find that people tend to discuss exactly what they want to discuss, and somebody saying "we won't" isn't going to stop them.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You didn't actually see anything. Just some flames which you knew wasn't anywhere near the actress.

I've seen far worse.

I do wonder if she is still alive as the ash though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    I found it more shocking than gory, you didn't see anything.
    I just tell myself it's not real...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    I would seriously advise you to stay away from post-watershed television; don't watch any film classified above 12A; and don't read any fiction books that are aimed above young adult. Also, avoid all historic documentaries. You might think I'm being mean, but that kind of treatment is everywhere in the creative world.

In fact, stay away from most things beneath 12A too. Don't bother with Harry Potter, it sends out the wrong message when the goodies like James and Lily and Cedric and Sirius and
    Dumbledore and Moody and Dobby and Fred
    die. As our OP says, "It would have been a better story to show the baddies getting their just desserts rather than one of the good ones. That's a terrible message to send out."

I'm really annoyed at what Pixar did in Finding Nemo. The mother dies in the first scene, and she's not a baddie! I sent them a complaint but obviously no-one listens to me because a few years later they made a film where the main character's wife dies of old age in the first few minutes. It's disgusting! Next thing you know they'll make a film where some toys are thrown into an incinerator...
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You didn't actually see anything. Just some flames which you knew wasn't anywhere near the actress.

I've seen far worse.

I do wonder if she is still alive as the ash though.
    Apparently, you would understand if you had a vivid imagination like the OP. She seems to think that she should be given greater consideration than the vast majority who actually understand how drama works.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next thing you know they'll make a film where some toys are thrown into an incinerator...
    Oh that would just be sick. :mad:
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Oh that would just be sick. :mad:

I'm so sorry:cry::cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally thought the scene where a lady is blown to smithereens in a toilet in Doctor Who much more gruesome. Complain Bah!
    I have this nifty gadget called a remote which can change channels without me having to move.
    I hope you never saw the Spooks episode with chip fryer ,now that was nasty!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might just stop watching and please believe me when I say I never watched torchwood before.This is my first series and I didn't expect it to be so dark.

It used to be really good ! Try watching the previous 3 series online - Children of Earth is especially good in terms of the story, the acting, the music etc.
    The tone has definitely been lowered this time around, although it IS still a good story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    korbany wrote: »

I wonder if the original poster would have complained had it been Rex or Oswald that met their demise in the cremation chamber?
    The first episode begins with a man being punished for brutally raping and killing a young girl,. Last week's episode ends with a woman being slowly mangled into fragments by a car crusher. This week ends with a woman being burnt alive and because it is miracle day it means she would not be overcome by the intense heat before she was reduced to ashes. I am betting neither Rex nor Jack will face such horrific fates and if they do they will somehow be saved at the last moment.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SinSeer wrote: »
    The first episode begins with a man being punished for brutally raping and killing a young girl,. Last week's episode ends with a woman being slowly mangled into fragments by a car crusher. This week ends with a woman being burnt alive and because it is miracle day it means she would not be overcome by the intense heat before she was reduced to ashes. I am betting neither Rex nor Jack will face such horrific fates and if they do they will somehow be saved at the last moment.
    Well Jack won't anyway:D
    PS: Haven't seen anything in it that bothered me so far :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BibaNova wrote: »
    Personally thought the scene where a lady is blown to smithereens in a toilet in Doctor Who much more gruesome. Complain Bah!
    I have this nifty gadget called a remote which can change channels without me having to move.
    I hope you never saw the Spooks episode with chip fryer ,now that was nasty!
    If you play that scene back one moment fragments of Joy like bits of exploded balloons;) lie scattered around on the floor of the ladies. The next moment the bits have all magically vanished.
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    I feel really bad because I did have a snigger at the original post.

I'm sorry, but it's a drama and based on earlier episodes any viewer would be aware of the level of gore in Torchwood. Also, you didn't actually see the woman burn to death and the scene went on for a while, surely any viewer could turn over once they realised what was going to happen, rather than watch for however many minutes it actually went on for.

So no sympathy.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are people watching this adults?

Story line
    People have stopped dyeing.
    This solution was horrific in my mind that it captures Nazi Germany and the Jews.
    In both cases it was The Final Solution.

I was not happy with the Jack gay sex thing...because it skirted the issue of Aids. Aids a disease I am told that gay people are more aware of than straight men. So people use condoms, Now you can;t die, you an have sex with strangers and not worry about the result...or can you? No death, but disease is still there...and disease is getting stronger and making humanity weaker.

Is this just a cover for an alien invasion?
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be really good ! Try watching the previous 3 series online - Children of Earth is especially good in terms of the story, the acting, the music etc.
    The tone has definitely been lowered this time around, although it IS still a good story.

S3 is dark as well, especially the latter stages.

And S1 & S2 wasn't all fun and games either (cannibals, screaming Jonah, assisted suicide, etc) and the good guys didn't always live happily ever after.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The car crush scene also highlights that in the new world order, of no death their are still fates worse than death...
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ones answered my question about why the BBC don't want to offend homophobics / prudes when it comes to sex scenes but were fine with showing graphic violence - Vera's shooting felt more 'brutal' than most shootings I've seen in dramas and then she's burnt alive.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that really bothered me with last night's ep was how horrifying that scene was to such a nice character. My main issue though after that was there was no prior warning (unlike previous weeks) that there will be some scenes that viewers might find upsetting/disturbing. I found that a horrendous oversight from the BBC - someone being burnt alive at 9PM is not disturbing to them - yet in Ep 1, Oswald convulsing on his stretcher in the Prison is what was deemed 'upsetting/disturbing' for that episode.

Be a bit more consistent BBC!

And Torchwood please don't be horrific for the sake of it! There was no need for that scene at all!
  • faith11faith11 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    The thing that really bothered me with last night's ep was how horrifying that scene was to such a nice character. My main issue though after that was there was no prior warning (unlike previous weeks) that there will be some scenes that viewers might find upsetting/disturbing. I found that a horrendous oversight from the BBC - someone being burnt alive at 9PM is not disturbing to them - yet in Ep 1, Oswald convulsing on his stretcher in the Prison is what was deemed 'upsetting/disturbing' for that episode.

Be a bit more consistent BBC!

And Torchwood please don't be horrific for the sake of it! There was no need for that scene at all!

Thank you for your valid comment.Someone kept pointing out to me in the earlier post that it was my fault for watching when I knew how graphic torchwood was even though I had explained I had onlly started watching and this is my first series and I never discussed torchwood with anyone so didn't know its reputation.You made a valid point,there was no warning.The reason I kept watching after she was shot was I suddenly saw rex found her and I was fully expecting he was going to break open the door and save her.I never expected an ending like that!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I felt like complaining not because I felt they were not within their rights to show what they did because they are.I felt like complaining because of how personally upsetting it was to me and I do believe it would have been a better story to show the baddies getting their just desserts rather than one of the good ones like Vera.That's a terrible message to send out.I felt the same when when I watched Bad girls years ago and Yvonne Atkins one of the only few people who dared to stand against a corrupt killer in the prison met with such a bad end by slowly suffocating to death within an enclosed wall.That was on ITV and I did complain but nothing was done about it so in retrospect I wont be complaining anymore as it will not do any good.I might just stop watching and please believe me when I say I never watched torchwood before.This is my first series and I didn't expect it to be so dark.
    What fantasy world are you living in. I'm so glad you are not involved with writing or vetting TV/Movies. It would be a boring world.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this just a cover for an alien invasion?

I would think so, for some reason the PhiCorp is on on it, either they are the aliens or they are just parasiting. I said as a joke that somebody wanted to kill Jack really badly, fans of Ianto, fans of good acting, some really pissed off aliens, take your pick. And only way to do it is to switch mortal and immortal. Maybe it is so.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'll admit that it did make me feel queasy but that's because of personal opinions and fears. I still remember a nightmare I had as a child where I was trapped in my room which was burnig and my mum couldn't get to me. I've had a sharp fear of fire ever since and anything like this in any TV show or film generally upsets me but that isn't the show or writers fault.

I can't watch anymore TW because of it and I wasn't really enjoying it anyway so it's perhaps for the best. Im sure people like RTD would respect why I can't watch any more of TW MD.
    Do you think the rest of us though it wouldn't be that bad to be burned alive?