Would you buy a less expensive iPhone?

Comments

• dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    And the fact they are significantly cheaper is a fact the rest of the world is walking up to.
    Not really significantly cheaper over the life of a contract, but still. Especially when you factor in support. But I digress.

iOS is limited in the customisations you can perform (widgets/tiles) and some less used features (nfc for example), but the features it does offer over and above Android are commonly shot down but do actually provide decent functionality - for example iCloud or iMessage. The ability to send messages either as part of a group or just individually over WiFi - integrated into the standard Messages app is a well thought out feature. Yes, I know Whatsapp exists - but that isn't integrated into the standard featureset of the phone, and GTalk - but that still requires setup and the thinking to use it.

iCloud too - the ability to sync everything with the cloud, backup nightly without having to do anything, and the ability to find the phone if it is lost or stolen built in to the OS is actually a great feature.

Before I'm lynched - yes, Android can do all of the above. Built in to the OS though?

I won't even get started on build quality. The Nexus 4 is probably the first Android device I've held and thought - this will last, this feels like a quality bit of hardware - something I get every time I pick up an iPhone 4/S
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    agreed - but its always been a case of 'you buy this years model you are an equal' ..... two models yearly would change that. Its that small band that feel the need to justify their expensive purchase by belittling those who have made a less expensive purchase.
    Oh right, so not at all that ALL Android users on this board need to justify their cheap purchase by belittling those who have made a more expensive purchase?

If it's not ridiculous statements about how all Apple users are fanboys, up themselves, just posers, showing off, it's even more ridiculous statements about why the iPhone is a bad choice because it doesn't support feature A where Android has supported feature A for years and they can't fathom why this feature has been left out of iOS.... Or the fact that because the iPhone doesn't have a four hundred inch screen means that it's crap and you can't see what you're doing...

Need I go on? Just take a look around this board and you will see that your statement up there? It's the complete opposite to what actually happens.

You have to be completely blind to see that Android wouldn't be where it is today without iOS, and iOS wouldn't be where it is today without Android.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Not really significantly cheaper over the life of a contract, but still. Especially when you factor in support. But I digress.

iOS is limited in the customisations you can perform (widgets/tiles) and some less used features (nfc for example), but the features it does offer over and above Android are commonly shot down but do actually provide decent functionality - for example iCloud or iMessage. The ability to send messages either as part of a group or just individually over WiFi - integrated into the standard Messages app is a well thought out feature. Yes, I know Whatsapp exists - but that isn't integrated into the standard featureset of the phone, and GTalk - but that still requires setup and the thinking to use it.

iCloud too - the ability to sync everything with the cloud, backup nightly without having to do anything, and the ability to find the phone if it is lost or stolen built in to the OS is actually a great feature.

Before I'm lynched - yes, Android can do all of the above. Built in to the OS though?

I won't even get started on build quality. The Nexus 4 is probably the first Android device I've held and thought - this will last, this feels like a quality bit of hardware - something I get every time I pick up an iPhone 4/S

What you may not appreciate is that android allows third party apps to integrate in to the phone.

for example you install a third party gallery/image viewer, and you install a third party twitter client. you hit the share button in that gallery (or the stock one) and up comes a list off apps that can accept that share including your twitter client.

install whatsapp or viber, go to your stock contacts app and you can call them straight from there.

iOS doesn't allow anything like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    What you may not appreciate is that android allows third party apps to integrate in to the phone.

for example you install a third party gallery/image viewer, and you install a third party twitter client. you hit the share button in that gallery (or the stock one) and up comes a list off apps that can accept that share including your twitter client.

install whatsapp or viber, go to your stock contacts app and you can call them straight from there.

iOS doesn't allow anything like this.
    So you can compose a new text message in your SMS app and it will automatically select to send the message via Whatsapp if the other user supports it?

I know full well that photo and other apps can replace default apps, that is exactly why I used iMessage and iCloud as examples.

If I have Whatsapp on my iPhone I can use my contact list with that app with no problem.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Oh right, so not at all that ALL Android users on this board need to justify their cheap purchase by belittling those who have made a more expensive purchase?

If it's not ridiculous statements about how all Apple users are fanboys, up themselves, just posers, showing off, it's even more ridiculous statements about why the iPhone is a bad choice because it doesn't support feature A where Android has supported feature A for years and they can't fathom why this feature has been left out of iOS.... Or the fact that because the iPhone doesn't have a four hundred inch screen means that it's crap and you can't see what you're doing...

Need I go on? Just take a look around this board and you will see that your statement up there? It's the complete opposite to what actually happens.

You have to be completely blind to see that Android wouldn't be where it is today without iOS, and iOS wouldn't be where it is today without Android.

feel better for your rant ? :rolleyes:

maybe you have mis-read my post .... i was implying that the current state of Apples 'single model' was a positive thing ! but one that may get messed up if they go down the route of multiple models like other manufacturers (ie a negative thing).

I cant even give a reply a sensible, positive spin without a rabid response :eek:

I dislike the Apple company but I am very much able to see some things that they do well.

And with regards to your last point then yes I fully agree that Android needs iOS as much as iOS needs Android. We (as consumers) need two healthy and strong solution providers to ensure that both camps get innovative products.
    Forum Member
    So you can compose a new text message in your SMS app and it will automatically select to send the message via Whatsapp if the other user supports it?

I know full well that photo and other apps can replace default apps, that is exactly why I used iMessage and iCloud as examples.

If I have Whatsapp on my iPhone I can use my contact list with that app with no problem.

Im not sure I understand what you mean here. With Android you can define what your default messaging app is - as you can define what pretty much any default app is. To use whatsapp as my default I would move the icon to my homescreen and then when any other app tries to create an sms choose to use 'whatsapp' as my default 'always' (although ive never actually tried this with whatsapp itself i know this is the case with apps such as Go SMS). I even noticed the other day that I can change my default 'dialler' to Skype if I so wish - thus fully integrating that with the OS (in iOS terms).

Android is very open when it comes to defining or replacing default apps - so might argue overly so (although not in my opinion).
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not sure I understand what you mean here. With Android you can define what your default messaging app is - as you can define what pretty much any default app is. To use whatsapp as my default I would move the icon to my homescreen and then when any other app tries to create an sms choose to use 'whatsapp' as my default 'always' (although ive never actually tried this with whatsapp itself i know this is the case with apps such as Go SMS). I even noticed the other day that I can change my default 'dialler' to Skype if I so wish - thus fully integrating that with the OS (in iOS terms).

Android is very open when it comes to defining or replacing default apps - so might argue overly so (although not in my opinion).

Bit of a technical question here (I don't want to enter this debate), but is that strictly true? When I replaced the stock messaging app on my ace 2, it still showed notifications coming from the stock app. This implies it is running in the background and I had to switch off the notifications in the options (but I think the stock app is still running).
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Bit of a technical question here (I don't want to enter this debate), but is that strictly true? When I replaced the stock messaging app on my ace 2, it still showed notifications coming from the stock app. This implies it is running in the background and I had to switch off the notifications in the options (but I think the stock app is still running).

hmmmmm. pass. depends what you think of as 'switched off' i guess. To the User it can appear fully integrated (ie you never see or 'deal with' the stock app) but I doubt Go SMS actually handles the 'deep' functionality of handling SMS/MMS.

You can certainly switch off the notifications in the default app - in fact some of the replacements apps actually have functions to do this for you if i recall.

In a similar vein choosing 'Skype' as my default 'dialler' wont prevent incoming calls from being routed through the main dialler (although you can replace/skin that if you so wish) but will make Skype the default/integrated app should i choose to dial out.

How 'deep' the over-ride goes will take a more technical mind than mine to answer......

with whatsapp its an odd one as its not a 'true' SMS processor so Im not sure how alike it is to iMessage .... will iMessage send an SMS to a user automatically if that user doesnt own an Apple product (ie they dont have iMessage at 'the other end') ? or does it stand separately from the default SMS/MMS app ?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »

Until you get the update to JB the only way you can do it is go into the stock settings and turn notifications off.

When JB comes out you can disable it in settings.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Until you get the update to JB the only way you can do it is go into the stock settings and turn notifications off.

When JB comes out you can disable it in settings.

Ok, thanks.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a less expensive iPhone is a good idea after giving it some more thought, I know people who love the whole Apple ECO system, iTunes and the App store but can't afford or don't want to pay the high price of the current handsets. An don't want an older 3GS iPhone.

A mid-range phone that wouldn't need to be under powered it could easily match mid rang Android handsets would be a winner.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

So you want to go into your message app to send a message over imessage? if I want to send a message over gtalk to single or groups why don't I just go talk?

Strange how all the advanced Android features are something that iPhone users will never need yet this is essential ... comical.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    So you want to go into your message app to send a message over imessage? if I want to send a message over gtalk to single or groups why don't I just go talk?

Strange how all the advanced Android features are something that iPhone users will never need yet this is essential ... comical.

Why do you all claim that one persons view is the same as all iPhone users?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Why do you all claim that one persons view is the same as all iPhone users?

same reason as you use the term "you all" I guess
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they knocked a couple of hundred of the price I might consider the current iphone , other than that , no way would I pay for reduced functionality probably still overpriced handset . I got a new HTC one X off ebay for £300 my mate paid £700 for his Iphone , not worth it in my opinion . I think Apple have been taking the piss with their pricing for a while but the Ipad Mini and the New Ipad less than 6 months after the last version were the last straw for me .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feel better for your rant ? :rolleyes:

Much. Thanks :D
    maybe you have mis-read my post .... i was implying that the current state of Apples 'single model' was a positive thing ! but one that may get messed up if they go down the route of multiple models like other manufacturers (ie a negative thing).

I didn't read it in context, sorry - it came across that there was a dig about the owners of the expensive product belittling the owners of the less expensive product, when from experience it's the other way round. I agree with what you say.
    I cant even give a reply a sensible, positive spin without a rabid response :eek:

Totally my fault, I apologise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure I understand what you mean here. With Android you can define what your default messaging app is - as you can define what pretty much any default app is.

What I mean is that for example Whatsapp is an additional service. It's an instant messaging tool over and above SMS. Not everyone has Whatsapp but those who do would probably prefer to use it rather than their own SMS allowance.
    With Android, you can select Whatsapp as your default messaging application if appropriate, but you still have to think "What are they likely to use" before launching an app to text them, be it the stock SMS app or Whatsapp.
    iMessage automatically detects if the other user has iMessage enabled within the stock Messaging application. No user interaction or thought is required at all. Contacts without iMessage will send via SMS, contacts with iMessage will automatically send via iMessage (to all their devices - Macs/iPad/iPod/iPhone).
    Which I can see as a benefit and a hindrance, less so since new apps are stored to SD card. You can't remove the standard apps and if they do the same job but one is prettier you have to put up with having more than one app with identical functionality.

See above - I don't even have to think about it. I set my recipient, if he/she has iMessage, it sends via iMessage, if he/she doesn't, it sends via regular SMS.
    Let's make a list of 'advanced Android features' that actually enhance day to day usage of the device:
    1. 'Widgets / information on lockscreen'
    2. ...
    Please feel free to add some more as I'm struggling.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    To the original question. Nope. Cost isn't the main issue that i look at when buying a phone. My plan is normally around 40-50 quid a month due to my usage and generally every new phone including the iPhone is free or very little a month on these plans. Saying that i bought my last iPhone sim free... but seeing as the S3, 920 and others are a similar price it does not matter for me.

I buy a new phone when it breaks, starts getting slow or there is a new feature i think i need on the new model.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    I think a less expensive iPhone is a good idea after giving it some more thought, I know people who love the whole Apple ECO system, iTunes and the App store but can't afford or don't want to pay the high price of the current handsets. An don't want an older 3GS iPhone.

A mid-range phone that wouldn't need to be under powered it could easily match mid rang Android handsets would be a winner.

I'm one of them. Most people assumed I'd be getting an iPhone because I'm a Mac user who can be rather smug at times. I told them that I love iPhones but can't justify spending >£500 on one. If I had bought one it would have been handy as I already have all the apps for it (I've an iPod Touch and an iPhone would use the same apps) and I'd only need to carry one device rather than two. If they make a cheaper one I'll think about it when it's time for me to change phones. If not I'll stick with Android as I have no problem with it.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    See above - I don't even have to think about it. I set my recipient, if he/she has iMessage, it sends via iMessage, if he/she doesn't, it sends via regular SMS.

That is quite neat to be honest. However I think the feature has become somewhat redundant. I take it to use iMessage you have to register your details on to a website, otherwise it wont know if you are a user or not.

Whilst the feature is neat, it is somewhat redundant know. Especially as most plans now come with unlimited texts. So using your text allowance isnt really a problem.
    Let's make a list of 'advanced Android features' that actually enhance day to day usage of the device:
    1. 'Widgets / information on lockscreen'
    2. ...
    Please feel free to add some more as I'm struggling.

Whilst I wouldnt say they are advanced features, the following do enhance your usage day to day
    1. Ability to change stock, dialler, sms app, email app, launcher
    2. Live wallpapers - some of them do look great.
    3. Ability to store more than 12 icons in a folder (by default)
    4. Google Now!

Goggle Now is awesome. The longer you use it, the more accurate it gets.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

iPhones scratch out of the box and everyone has a bloody protective case and screen cover on them! Yeah great build quality there :rolleyes:.

I've not actually got a case on my S3 and have no desire for one and dont worry about damaging it. What is this weird obsession people have about plastic being a crap build quality? Its much more durable than an iPhone!!!!!!! :eek:
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    I think a less expensive iPhone is a good idea after giving it some more thought,

This mornings news that Apple is reportedly lowering part orders for the iPhone 5 by 50% is not as bad as it seems.
    There is probably a small glut of stock parts already purchased, so sales certainly won't be 50% below expectations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPhones scratch out of the box and everyone has a bloody protective case and screen cover on them! Yeah great build quality there :rolleyes:.
    Which, if you'd bothered to read my post(!), is specifically why I mentioned iPhone 4/S and not the iPhone 5 (insert obligatory rude rolling eyes emoticon). I've not had a case on my 4S since the day I bought it (when it came out) and it is still as mint as the day I bought it.
    ACU wrote: »
    That is quite neat to be honest. However I think the feature has become somewhat redundant. I take it to use iMessage you have to register your details on to a website, otherwise it wont know if you are a user or not.

Nope, you just enable it in the settings, and it works. Because quite a number of my friends and colleagues have iPhones I never have to pay for MMS or use any SMS allowance, nor data, if I'm on Wifi.
    Whilst the feature is neat, it is somewhat redundant know. Especially as most plans now come with unlimited texts. So using your text allowance isnt really a problem.

Of course - however group conversations aren't supported with the SMS protocol - sure you can send a text message to multiple recipients, however replies will go to you only, and not everyone else included in the original message.
    Whilst I wouldnt say they are advanced features, the following do enhance your usage day to day
    1. Ability to change stock, dialler, sms app, email app, launcher
    2. Live wallpapers - some of them do look great.
    3. Ability to store more than 12 icons in a folder (by default)
    4. Google Now!
    I agree with the folder limitations - that can be quite frustrating at times - and Google Now is a pretty cool feature, however, Live Wallpapers isn't really what I was looking for.

When I'm using my phone, 90% of the time I'm in an app - a smartphone OS is there to launch apps and manage memory (pretty much) - I don't spend enough time on the home or lock screens to justify my wallpaper moving. It's one of those things I got over with my 3410 :D

Default apps is an interesting one - a year or so ago I wouldn't have wanted to change default apps - they performed a function and did what they were supposed to do. Due to Apple's inability to 'get along' with Google, features were removed - for example, the YouTube application, Google Maps. The other stock apps are absolutely fine and support the standard app featureset.
    However, yes - I would like to be able to change at least my default youtube:// handler to launch using Jasmine rather than the official YouTube app - as the official YouTube app is pants.

Can't see the reason for wanting to alter the dialler though (apart from perhaps integrating Skype or Google Voice)?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With this rumour hitting enough steam to become fact here's what will happen mid March.

The iPhone 5 will reduce in price by £100.
    The iPhone 4 s will be dropped.
    The iPhone 4 will reduce to £200 PAYG locked to one network.
    The ''new Big iPhone' will be 5", locked permanently to one network and cost £300 PAYG.

Apple will say "Unlocks direct from Apple in 12 months, unlock prices to be announced later".
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I'm using my phone, 90% of the time I'm in an app - a smartphone OS is there to launch apps and manage memory (pretty much) - I don't spend enough time on the home or lock screens to justify my wallpaper moving. It's one of those things I got over with my 3410 :D

The wonderful thing about android is that you dont have to keep launching and switch apps to do stuff. There are widgets.