Northerners in the South, and Southerners in the North

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have you moved north or south for whatever reason, and if so what are your reasons and how are you accepted?

As a Northerner do you like Southerners living up here, or as a Southerner do you welcome Northerners to your patch?

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the Scottish consider the north as southerners??
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    Chips...with gravy??? Really?
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    Chips...with gravy??? Really?

Curry sauce is worse:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheese.....and cake...
    Cheese cake
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I moved NW to SE but I integrrated, respected the customs, learnt the language etc.
  • yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheese.....and cake...
    Cheese cake

Garlic and bread, what a liberty
  • OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work with a bloke from Yorkshire and find him pretty difficult to understand 97% of the time. It doesn't help he is missing plenty of teeth and breaths through his mouth.

Decent bloke to be fair just a shame he's a misery guts so can't tell if he's a WUM or really pissed off. :)
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Midlands, always getting missed out :(
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moved from up norf (Derbyshire) to down sarf (Cambridgeshire) nearly 10 years ago. People occasionally comment I have an accent that isn't local (didn't realise I had a noticeable accent), but other than that, nothing.

My reason for moving? To be with my OH. I like it in Cambridgeshire, I live on the outskirts in a rural part so it's nice and quiet and lots of fields and whatnot, so it feels like where I used to live (other than the fact it is flat. Derbyshire is very hilly). The only thing I bemoan are the prices down here - extortionate! :D
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    OP is obsessed with this.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Have you moved north or south for whatever reason, and if so what are your reasons and how are you accepted?

As a Northerner do you like Southerners living up here, or as a Southerner do you welcome Northerners to your patch?

I've moved north, south, east and west. Once I moved WNW (got out of bed the wrong side), but that's a little secret between me and you.

But seriously. I've lived in Salford for three years, Pontypridd for 3 years, Devon for 21 years, but since the early 1990s I've been living in the south east (Hemel Hempstead, Welwyn Garden City and Luton). Also, I lived in Swindon for a year and a few months in Plymouth.

As for northern foreigners, they just have to mix in with the huge influx of other immigrants from the EU and elsewhere, plus we've got the Irish that have made Luton a second home. Put it this way, the IRA were never going to leave a bomb in Luton and now nor are the Muslim extremists. Every cloud and all that. Tongue in cheek mode off.

I've never had a problem with most people I've met IRL. There are only two types of people really. Good people and bad people. It doesn't really matter what creed/colour/nationality/race/religion they are really.
  • noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here in Manchester/Salford, you might get a bit of light-hearted banter for being from anywhere else than Manchester, but it's nothing that'll make you uncomfortable. I'm only a Derby/Notts boy (so not far from Manky at all), but my accent's been 'mongrelised', with some thinking the slight Australian 'twang' to some words is from "dahn souf".

It's all perfectly fine as long as you can take a joke, and to the Mancs credit, they can. The North/South divide is light-hearted, and those that take it seriously are usually idiots. Can't really comment on Southerners, or those from elsewhere in the North.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moved from the South coast to Wakefield then Bolton and have never had a problem. The only time I get picked up on accent is when I visit home where they say I 'talk northern'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garlic and bread, what a liberty

The north has Chorley fm...coming in your ear every morning..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The north has Chorley fm...coming in your ear every morning..

:D my favourite Peter Kay subtle joke.

The scenes with Paul Le Roy sat at his turn tables at the far end of Rivington Services car park are choice viewing :D
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the Scottish consider the north as southerners??

Scots generally refer to people from the North of England as "North of England", and southern England as "South of England".

We have Southern (Scots), Northern (Scots), Islanders (from the Western Islands), Orcadians and Shetlanders - from the real north!
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I do often reply to a Southerner with "Awwigh' mate", but that's as far as it goes.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I moved from Leeds to Essex to be with my (now) husband.

I worked in London and we used to go into London a lot. Neither of us are southerners (he is a yamyam) and we used to find that bar and restaurant staff always assumed we were just visiting London or there for a weekend break. This struck me as odd because London is full of people from all over the place but we were always seen as holidaymakers yet we both worked there.

Other things I found odd were:-

Chapatis costing over £1 from the Indian takeaway (50p here)
    Chow mein being as dry as a bone (no gravy)
    Chop suey in sweet and sour sauce (wrong!!)
    Couldn't find a vanilla slice anywhere
    Seeing a free table in a pub only to find it 'reserved' (unfortunately that has spread up here now)
    Sausage 'roll' confusion
    Not knowing how to ask for a bacon butty (I always ended up with something I didn't want)
    People giving you dirty looks if you made eye contact (people tend to smile here so I used to smile and say 'hiya love!' when eye contact was made)
    The only birds I saw were feral pigeons, starlings and the occasional sparrow
    Public transport being quick and efficient (the oddest thing of all, but then it should be considering how much is spent per head in London compared to the rest of us)

I'm sure I could think of more but that'll do for now!
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Scots generally refer to people from the North of England as "North of England", and southern England as "South of England".

We have Southern (Scots), Northern (Scots), Islanders (from the Western Islands), Orcadians and Shetlanders - from the real north!

We also have an east-west divide, the boundary of which depends on (a) who you're speaking to or (b) where salt 'n' vinegar changes to salt 'n' sauce.

To Edinbuggers, the 'west' is anywhere further than the Gogar roundabout.
    To Weegies, the east is anywhere east of the High Street, Cumbernauld is the edge of the world, and places like Edinburgh might as well be on the dark side of the moon.
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We also have an east-west divide, the boundary of which depends on (a) who you're speaking to or (b) where salt 'n' vinegar changes to salt 'n' sauce.

To Edinbuggers, the 'west' is anywhere further than the Gogar roundabout.
    To Weegies, the east is anywhere east of the High Street, Cumbernauld is the edge of the world, and places like Edinburgh might as well be on the dark side of the moon.

Gogar, Weegies, Cumbernauld. I love Scottish names :D
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a northerner, I lived in the south for a while... it's full of dragons. I now live in the midlands, it's full of beasties with two heads. The north was full of unicorns and honey.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born in London, raised in Yorkshire, have lived down south all my adult life.

I don't really know if I'm a northerner or a southerner. I love gravy with my chips and call alleyways 'ginnels' but don't say hello to strangers and prefer lager to beer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Born in London, raised in Yorkshire, have lived down south all my adult life.

I don't really know if I'm a northerner or a southerner. I love gravy with my chips and call alleyways 'ginnels' but don't say hello to strangers and prefer lager to beer.

The only two reasons for random strangers trying to talk to you in the south.

1) They're going to rob you and 2) They're a nutter

:D
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved to Greater Manchester from the SE ( where I was born/ brought up/ go back several generations ) 28 years ago.
    Not sure I'd fit in back home now but I'm not entirely assimilated here either. I still find a few of the 'ways' and sayings very odd;
    . Going out for tea ( going to a restaurant in the evening ) That one literally makes me gag.
    . Corned Beef Hash being called Tater Hash and being liquid like a soup. Hash is supposed to be dry and fried.
    . A clothes horse is a 'maiden'. Why? Clothes horse is a much more accurate description.
    .Nobody has a tumble dryer. How do they dry their clothes when it's raining but it's too warm to have radiators or fire on?
    .Sweet things on Bonfire Night. No..sausages and jacket spuds, and that's it
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a northerner now living in the south and mostly there is no difference. A couple of things do stand out though. No-one knows what a teacake is, the roads are better and the people are friendlier.

Yes, I said that right - I've consistently found people much friendlier down south contrary to the commonly held myth.