Fussy eaters

12346»

Comments

• Tiger RagTiger Rag Posts: 6,559
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Chilli is a no go for me. Don't like the taste of it and its always the most prominent flavour when its used.
    Don't like tripe either, just disgusting. Have never got over being fed a boiled sheeps head by my Nan when I was off school sick.

Euw! I'm willing to try most things; but that sounds wrong.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rag wrote: »
    Euw! I'm willing to try most things; but that sounds wrong.

Tripe is pigs belly, my Grandad used to eat it back in 1971.
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Interesting thread.

I do think fussy eating is a first world problem. Perhaps those moaning about texture should spend some time in a Mumbai slum, where you don't know when the next meal will turn up. I don't think you would find many fussy eaters there, and that's the issue.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tripe is pigs belly, my Grandad used to eat it back in 1971.

Tripe is cow stomach wall, pigs is usually called maw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tripe is cow stomach wall, pigs is usually called maw.

Well I just went belly up on that one..
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say I was quite good with my food. I suppose the only thing I really truly hate is mushrooms, so much that id say I was allergic just to prevent accidentally eating them.

I do have OCD issues with how food is presented. It is a big problem for me but I can't help it. It's mainly to do with foods touching, even when it's items I like and will eat there's certain things that simply cannot touch each other.
  • the sundownerthe sundowner Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I am a vegan but not a fussy one. eg, I will eat any veg, fruit, cereals, breads, rice, etc. A jacket potato, beans and salad does me fine, as do salad sandwiches, any stir fry or veg curry, or a Quorn roast with veg and potatoes. I love a bowl of cereal and so I have almond milk for that. :)

I'm cheap to cater for really.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    Interesting thread.

I do think fussy eating is a first world problem. Perhaps those moaning about texture should spend some time in a Mumbai slum, where you don't know when the next meal will turn up. I don't think you would find many fussy eaters there, and that's the issue.

Comments like that are really irritating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chet fussy: All right, fussy, fussy, fussy! Come on in fussy lovers! Here at the Titty Twister we're slashing fussy in half! Give us an offer on our vast selection of fussy, this is a fussy blow out! All right, we got white fussy, black fussy, Spanish fussy, yellow fussy, we got hot fussy, cold fussy, we got wet fussy, we got
    [sniffs]
    Chet fussy: smelly fussy, we got hairy fussy, bloody fussy, we got snappin' fussy, we got silk fussy, velvet fussy, nalga high fussy, we even got horse fussy, dog fussy, chicken fussy! Come on, you want fussy, come on in, fussy lovers! If we don't got it, you don't want it! Come on in, fussy lovers!

ahh yes i see what you mean....

I'm disappointed nobody liked my comment....I put a lot of effort into that...

Sigh...
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comments like that are really irritating.

Well yes, I mean nearly everything we discuss on this forum could be boiled down to "first world problems". Life doesn't have to be serious all the time, and it's not as if those in this discussion aren't aware of starvation and poverty around the world. No one is affecting political change by discussing opinions here. It's merely a place to whittle away the hours.
  • himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been brought up during the war when most food was rationed and in short supply I learned to eat whatever I was given. Whale meat was the sternest test.
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would happily eat anything, my wife and kids the total opposite, no veg at all, limited fruit, no rice, pasta, salad. Basically unless its made of crap they won't entertain it. But what annoys me is food they don't even try but just decide by the look of it they don't like it such as rice and pasta
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    my children all had things they wouldn`t eat when they were little but it all went on the plate regardless, it was there if they wanted give it a go but it was fine to leave it if they didn`t like it.

all grown, none are fussy and they all will try stuff once, they are bringing up their children the same and it doesn't`t seem to have been an accidental result.
  • noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fussy eaters do my head in, although people must feel the same about me as I don't eat red meat or poultry. We have this one kid at the school I'm at who will never eat her 'mains', but she'll ****ing wolf down the dessert (it's never fruit, by the way). And it annoys me, it really, really annoys me. I know it's not her fault, she's only seven, and it's probably her parents pandering to her every whim (she also cries a lot, especially if she doesn't 'like' something) that's caused it.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I am a fussy eater - don't know why as I wasn't pandered to as a child. I'm better than I used to be, but there are loads of things I haven't tried but I'm not a person who particularly likes food, so I've got no real urge to try them now.

I get the texture thing though - I can't eat mashed potato after the horrible stuff at junior school which was cold and lumpy - makes me want to gag just thinking about it!

I also can't eat peppers - the green ones make me feel sick - the smell, the texture and the colour - I can't even touch them! :blush:I don't eat the yellow or red ones either but at least they don't make me feel sick when I look at them - weird...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shippams crab paste...That's on my sandwiches today..
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    It's not a necessity to have a wide variety of foods and be able to choose, no, but its a nice factor of modern life. You don't go around in sackcloth and ashes because Marks and Spencer 'isn't a necessity'.

Choice is a good thing and we are lucky to have it - it's just not available to everybody.
    I just cannot stand those fussy eaters who try to preach to everyone that their way is right and anyone who disagrees is wrong
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there's a single food that I don't eat. Well maybe tripe. As for stuff I have not yet tried ... I would try anything.

My kids are the same. They ate what was put in front of them. It was that or go hungry. They didn't always eat it all, but they were not pandered to with something else. Now they too don't have a problem with any foods.

Fussy eaters that annoy me are some that get all hysterical at the sight of (for example) fresh fish, or a tomato, or something else that makes them hyperventilate. :o I just don't understand it all.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Chilli is a no go for me. Don't like the taste of it and its always the most prominent flavour when its used.
    Don't like tripe either, just disgusting. Have never got over being fed a boiled sheeps head by my Nan when I was off school sick.

Ah, sheep's head broth! My Gran used to make this occasionally and I could always smell it cooking when I arrived home from Lifeboys in the evening. I know it sounds revolting, but the flavour was really good, a nice warm, winter's evening broth, not unlike pea& ham soup.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Do you have one in your family? My 17 year-old son loves pizzas, could eat them every day, but only ones you have delivered. He won't eat supermarket ones or even ones that you pick up from Dominos, Pizza Hut etc. He reckons there's something different when they've been delivered! :confused: They're too expensive though so we have either frozen or fresh supermarket ones at least once a week and add extra cheese and toppings. We think they can be just as good but he won't touch them, has something else. Very odd.

That is rather odd. I will say that to me there is a marked difference between supermarket/frozen pizzas and the pick up ones you mention although I have no idea why a delivered pizza would be different from one you picked up. It's a good thing you don't pander to him because as you say, they're not cheap!

I was pretty fussy as a kid, and I mean a very young kid, especially with veg. I would not eat any cooked veg (but I would ask for bits of raw turnip, carrot and cabbage if they were on the go). The only veg I ate in abundance was picked beetroot. Luckily mum adapted some meals for me but dad didn't approve and said I should eat whatever was put down as he was very strict. I did feel bad but it's hard to force yourself to eat something that makes you retch. I'm glad to say I am very unfussy as an adult. I have no idea what changed that!
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I don't think there's a single food that I don't eat. Well maybe tripe. As for stuff I have not yet tried ... I would try anything.

My kids are the same. They ate what was put in front of them. It was that or go hungry. They didn't always eat it all, but they were not pandered to with something else. Now they too don't have a problem with any foods.

Fussy eaters that annoy me are some that get all hysterical at the sight of (for example) fresh fish, or a tomato, or something else that makes them hyperventilate. :o I just don't understand it all.

I agree, that's irritating, and more so if an adult behaves that way and spoils a dinner for everyone else with their antics.