Options

Should Pobol Y Cwm be reconised as a mainstream soap?

Comments

• Options
    EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - no one's even heard of it!
  • Options
    .exe.exe Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackrew wrote: »
    No Im sorry but no way should it be. Tbh I think its a complete waste of time them making the soap.

I have a lot of welsh friends and hardly any of them speak fluent welsh. The welsh language is dying. If this show was done in english it could establish a big following and put wales on the map and have to whole of UK watching wales every night. but they are spoiling it for themselves.

The acting/writing might be great but as its in welsh and I cant be bothered to sit through subtitles for half an hour (because I watch soaps for fun not to educate myself with a foreign language) and I bet your bottom dollar most think the same so no no point no bother.

Fair City on the other hand an Irish soap spoken in English should be and it should also be shown in the UK.

You haven't just made yourself look like an ignorant, pompus idiot at all have you?

PyC is a fantastic little soap, have you ever given it a go? Probably not.

I am not welsh but I love pobol/s4c, and there are also quite a few interesting documentaries on S4C, too.

Don't speak for everybody because you don't like something.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The welsh language is dying out and I think it's a good idea to try and promote it in different ways such as soaps. English subtitles for those who don't understand welsh. To say its not considered a soap unless its in English is complete ignorance.

No one is saying it isnt a soap, were just saying it can't ever really make it to the status of being a "mainstream" soap. If they made the show in English maybe, but that'd just be going against the whole point of Pobol Y Cym, it's a Welsh soap, for Welsh people, which is all it needs to be.
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    after watching it for years I say yes
    it's bbc's longest soap
    They dealt nearly everything on there
  • Options
    philglossopphilglossop Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Nice to see some xenophobia on here......

Pobol is a great programme, dealing with the same issues as other soaps but it's a slow burner when compared to the other soaps- the male rape case with Scott and Macs being a good example. Then the killing of Brandon in the fire and now the Moc/Gethin/Dani child abuse- aren't dealt with within a week and rumble on with other characters brought in to support the story (for example with Moc- Anita was dragged in- which impacted on other people).

It should get some recognition- bet it doesn't though.
  • Options
    RearViewMirrorRearViewMirror Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    No, the real difference is its on S4C not C4, and it's not going to be a mainstream soap when its not in English. It's made for Welsh people, not English, Scottish and Northern Irish people. Soaps like Corrie, Emmerdale, Hollyoaks and EastEnders all use an universal language that every constituent country in the United Kingdom will understand.

If this is a general rule about media in different languages, why was Amour (a very good film in the French language) so successful at last night's British Academy Film Awards?
    I don't think anyone meant that it is not a soap. I for one don't like watching subtitled programmes for the reason I stated above, and am not interested in learning Welsh, so I probably wouldn't watch it. I might watch a Welsh soap in English, with occasional Welsh lines, if I enjoyed the programme.

I've watched countless films in foreign languages (French in particular, because France happens to have produced some of the best films ever made) but have no desire to learn French at all. Ever.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    It's on Freesat long with a BBC Alba, a Scottish Gaelic language channel and until recently there was an Indian movie channel.

And why shouldn't there be channels for minority interests - there's already the Psychic Channel, the God Channel, a channel for people who like vintage music, a fashion channel and many more.

Admittedly the majority of us speak English, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be channels in other languages - in fact it would probably be a good thing if we could be pursuaded to watch them; then we might actually take the trouble to learn other languages rather than expect the whole world to speak English.

But getting back to the original question IMO no, Pobol Y Cwm can't be recognised as a mainstream soap in the UK as a whole, but it could be in Wales if enough people watch it. I have watched it a couple of times and have to admit I was more amused (that isn't meant in a derrogatory way) by the number of English words such as "garage" which pop out because, as a welsh speaking friend explained, there were no garages when the Welsh language developed so English words became incorporated. Just the same as other languages such as French have, and as we have incorporated foreign words such as "bungalow" into English.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have a lot of Welsh friends who DO speak fluent Welsh. It's a brilliant show and is in no way a waste of time

The point I was trying to make is if you speak Welsh or English, you can still watch it.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    No, it is not the first language . Only 20% of people in Wales speak Welsh, and they live predominately in North Wales. S4C is a ridiculous channel, forced on us by the pc brigade, it should be closed down as no one actually watches it, as has been proven.

Ouch! No, seriously ouch! I dare say there is some truth that few people watch it but even so......

The language of the channel is irrelevant as it if there are subtitles available in a language you CAN speak, then you can still make use of it. (I am not saying that you MUST watch it, but you just could!)
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Ouch! No, seriously ouch! I dare say there is some truth that few people watch it but even so......

The language of the channel is irrelevant as it if there are subtitles available in a language you CAN speak, then you can still make use of it. (I am not saying that you MUST watch it, but you just could!)

The channel is funded from the public purse, thankfully that is to be reduced this year as it has been proven that the audience consists of under a thousand and sometimes nil for many of the programs. Yes there are minority channels, but I doubt they get the amount of public funding, if any.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channel is funded from the public purse, thankfully that is to be reduced this year as it has been proven that the audience consists of under a thousand and sometimes nil for many of the programs. Yes there are minority channels, but I doubt they get the amount of public funding, if any.

I am English and have only recently discovered PYC....I love it! Its so much better than the trash that is EE and HO and as for the channel I would rather watch this "minority" channel than the crap they have on ITV2........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,306
    Forum Member
    .exe wrote: »
    You haven't just made yourself look like an ignorant, pompus idiot at all have you?

PyC is a fantastic little soap, have you ever given it a go? Probably not.

I am not welsh but I love pobol/s4c, and there are also quite a few interesting documentaries on S4C, too.

Don't speak for everybody because you don't like something.

But then youre talking to someone hear who thinks they should abolish foreign languages all together lol so good luck with that one
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is a general rule about media in different languages, why was Amour (a very good film in the French language) so successful at last night's British Academy Film Awards?

I've watched countless films in foreign languages (French in particular, because France happens to have produced some of the best films ever made) but have no desire to learn French at all. Ever.

You misunderstood my meaning. I don't think that everyone who watches a subtitled programme wishes to learn the language. Earlier posters were referring to Pobol Y Cwm as a programme partly devised to encourage people to learn and speak Welsh, and keep the language alive, in the same manner that Machair, which ran for nine years, was a soap created to encourage and develop the gaelic language. I too have watched many foreign language films but find that I don't enjoy them so much as other films, because I have to read subtitles, and therfore can't do other things, and also miss out on some of the actor's expressions, scenery etc.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    Why on earth would it considered mainstream when it is in Welsh :confused:

:rolleyes:

Charming! Quite a lot of us do actually speak Welsh.
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just like some of the programmes on BBC2
  • Options
    HayleyXDHayleyXD Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pobol Y Cwm is crap. The storylines are crap and they all talk nothing but jibberish
  • Options
    IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone meant that it is not a soap. I for one don't like watching subtitled programmes for the reason I stated above, and am not interested in learning Welsh, so I probably wouldn't watch it. I might watch a Welsh soap in English, with occasional Welsh lines, if I enjoyed the programme.

I agree.

If it was in english, and had pretty good reviews I would try it, but I can't be bothered with watching a foreign program.
  • Options
    IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in my post, I don't have Sky. A lot of people don't.

If you want to watch it, try iPlayer. I'm sure I've seen it on there.
  • Options
    philglossopphilglossop Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    HayleyXD wrote: »
    Pobol Y Cwm is crap. The storylines are crap and they all talk nothing but jibberish

Seen it then Hayley?

No..............

Thought not.

Spanner.
  • Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PYC is the best soap out there - and I`m not saying just because I`m Welsh. I find that with the subtitles I can get into the storylines much more.
    My American hubby absolutely loves this show, he said he can identify with a lot of the characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pobol y cwm thread is very popular here.
    I have been watching it for a year and 3 months and really enjoy it.
    For the people dissing it,why not watch 5 episodes of the soap and then see if your opinion changes
    Fair enough if you have the same opinion
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    PYC is very popular not just in the Uk
    They have won awards for the storylines they have done
  • Options
    linc52linc52 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pobol y cum is a fantastic soap we live in london and we read the subtitles
  • Options
    skf1skf1 Posts: 7,857
    Forum Member
    Pwy fysa'n meddwl fysa Pobol Y Cwm wedi dechra gymaint o ffrae..Da chi pobol sydd yn casau cymraeg angen gael bywyd...Gwyliwch efo isdeitlau is da chi ddim yn deallt..
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been watching it online for the past 18 months and I love it :)