New feature or did I just not notice this before?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
Accidently pressed the record buttonwhilst watching a recording the other day and the box has made a duplicate and placed it in my programme list.

Is this something new or has the box always had this feature?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always been there, I thik it's one of those features not listed in the manual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    redrob2 wrote:
    I thik it's one of those features not listed in the manual.

Must be because it's of no use lol :D
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends; certainly on the Topfield, if you record a pay channel while watching another pay channel, the recording will be saved in encrypted form, since the CAM has to be used for viewing.

The copy function efffectively allows you to make an unencrypted copy of a previously encrypted file, which may be necessary if you want to work with it on a PC, or to watch it when your subscription has expired.

It's also handy, of course, if you just want to extract a certain portion from a recording, like one performance from a concert - it can be a lot more straightforward than trying to use the edit functions.

Nigel.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoeBloggz wrote:
    Must be because it's of no use lol :D

Well it's the only way to make a copy of a recording that I know of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Max Demian wrote:
    Well it's the only way to make a copy of a recording that I know of.

I believe that all pay recordings are encrypted on the Hummy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I believe that all pay recordings are encrypted on the Hummy.

I don't think they are - I experimented with this soon after I got TopUpTV working and from memory they are decrypted before they are saved to disk. That means you can record using a CAM/Card - take the card out then watch a recording from say TCM - or transfer to a PC and watch there. If anyone's interested I'll check when I get home tonight...
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the Toppy, it may depend what's happening at the same time - if you're viewing one encrypted programme, the CAM can't be used to decrypt another at the same time, I think.

Nigel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    jda180hm wrote:
    I don't think they are - I experimented with this soon after I got TopUpTV working and from memory they are decrypted before they are saved to disk. That means you can record using a CAM/Card - take the card out then watch a recording from say TCM - or transfer to a PC and watch there. If anyone's interested I'll check when I get home tonight...

Quick update - my memory was correct.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda180hm wrote:
    I don't think they are - I experimented with this soon after I got TopUpTV working and from memory they are decrypted before they are saved to disk.
    Does that mean you can only record one encripted channel at once?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda180hm wrote:
    Quick update - my memory was correct.

Can you record two TUTV channels at the same time and see if both recordings are saved in an unencrypted form?

nwhitfield is suggesting that the CAM can only decrypt one recording on the fly and that the other recording will be saved in encrypted form... so if this is the case (one encrypted and the other not) could you test out the copy function and see if it is now decrypted?