Options

Dale's Supermarket Sweep

John_Adam1John_Adam1 Posts: 1,755
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Who remembers the 1990s ITV gameshow 'Supermarket Sweep' that was hosted by Dale Winton?

It was shown just after GMTV originally, but in the late 90s/early 00s they showed repeats in the early afternoon after The Jerry Springer Show.

It was all a bit of a silly concept and the contestants tended not to be the most intellectually gifted a lot of the time. They struggled to answer some of the questions even when the clues made the answers blatantly obvious (to me at least).

My favourite memory of the show is the man who did the commentary for the 'super sweep'. He had an enthusiasm for the shopping spree like Murray Walker had for calling Formula 1 Grands Prix. :D

So what do you remember about it and did you think it was worth watching back in the day? I don't suppose anyone here ever took part in it themselves?

Comments

• Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it, I'm never going to admit to ever watching it.

BUT what annoyed me was the way the contestants came onto the show waving their arms and had to clap after each correct answer like performing monkeys. Obviously the clipboard clutcher on the show informed contestants just they're were expected to react. It was rather sickening when you realised these people had been basically ordered how to behave on camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    I remember it, I'm never going to admit to ever watching it.

BUT what annoyed me was the way the contestants came onto the show waving their arms and had to clap after each correct answer like performing monkeys. Obviously the clipboard clutcher on the show informed contestants just they're were expected to react. It was rather sickening when you realised these people had been basically ordered how to behave on camera.

A fair point, but I suspect a lot (actually most!) TV is pretty much scripted like this...
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    from memory towards the end they had a bit too much additional bits to get from the sweep at the end to count towards extra funds, when really i used to like it when they trashed the aisles running around like loonatics with tins of beans flying all over the place
  • Options
    Lovely LauraLovely Laura Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I was only very young when this was on, but I recently caught some repeats on Challenge when I was off work ill. The thing that always annoyed me was the way every contestant said 'Dale' after every answer they gave.
  • Options
    Brendan MulcakyBrendan Mulcaky Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was only very young when this was on, but I recently caught some repeats on Challenge when I was off work ill. The thing that always annoyed me was the way every contestant said 'Dale' after every answer they gave.

I was about to say that! Annoying indeed. I suspect they were told to say that though.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Thing that used to annoy me was that the Sweep clearly had rules governing what you could and couldnt collect yet they never told the viewers what those rules were. Stood by the washing powder aisle yet they only picked up two things from the entire aisle and then moved on. Why? Pick up a load of washing powder, it isnt cheap ffs.
  • Options
    Lovely LauraLovely Laura Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Thing that used to annoy me was that the Sweep clearly had rules governing what you could and couldnt collect yet they never told the viewers what those rules were. Stood by the washing powder aisle yet they only picked up two things from the entire aisle and then moved on. Why? Pick up a load of washing powder, it isnt cheap ffs.

Yeah I used to think that too - I always said, I'd just get a trolley full of alcohol lol.
  • Options
    Thomas_CraigieThomas_Craigie Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Good old Bobby Bragg :) He always got very excied about the trolley dash but in all fairness, that's the best part of the whole show.

SS is quite often repeated on Challenge during the weekdays - definitely was one of the best daytime shows ever created and needs to come back (for a third time)
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member

They can only have 3 of the same item.

I have noticed that they do only pick a few things from 1 isle?

And yes I have been watching the repeats on Challenge :blush:
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Hated it at the time, love the repeats on Challenge!

Some of Dales outfits 😨
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Dale Winton's very ill at the moment isn't he?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was about to say that! Annoying indeed. I suspect they were told to say that though.

I used to hope that some contestant would rebel and not say "Dale" after every sentence.:D

I realised they'd been told to say it, but didn't get why - it's not like we didn't know who he was!
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    John_Adam1 wrote: »

My favourite memory of the show is the man who did the commentary for the 'super sweep'. He had an enthusiasm for the shopping spree like Murray Walker had for calling Formula 1 Grands Prix. :D

Bobby Bragg passed away last year sadly:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/10/26/26089/warm-up_king_bobby_bragg_dies#
  • Options
    fgxfgx Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I have lovely memories of being a little kid watching it with my grandma.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the best thing about being off ill from school. I've watched the repeats of challenge it is very 90s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    They never explained that rule on the programme though. I used to scream at the TV "take more of the turkeys FFS!" :D
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Dale Winton's very ill at the moment isn't he?
    I didn't know that. That's a shame.:(
    davads wrote: »
    :(
    fgx wrote: »
    I have lovely memories of being a little kid watching it with my grandma.
    Me too but in my case with my grandfather. :)
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    It was the best thing about being off ill from school. I've watched the repeats of challenge it is very 90s
    Absolutely! :D Good times, happy days... ^_^
  • Options
    EVIL-MONKEYEVIL-MONKEY Posts: 53,872
    Forum Member
    I used to hope that some contestant would rebel and not say "Dale" after every sentence.:D

I realised they'd been told to say it, but didn't get why - it's not like we didn't know who he was!

For his ego?! :D

(I Hope he is ok I knew he was unwell but that was a couple of years ago. I didn't know about Bobby Bragg, the show can't return now his commentary during the 'Super Sweep'!)

I knew about the 3 item rule (I even had my own route plannned out :blush: ) but always wondered why they didn't pick up one of those large salamis they must have been worth a bob or too! They must have had a rule that you could only take a few items from the aisle to keep them on moving.
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What got me was the big inflatables they used to have dotted about the store. I think they were called a bouncy bonus, You were only allowed to pick one. The value of each was hidden, Dale used to peel off the sticker and reveal it when they were counting up each team's total. If I remember the values were £25, £50 and £100.There might have been a £75 one as well, I can't remember.

The point is that if the teams' totals were at all close, it just came down to who had been lucky enough to pick the highest value bouncy bonus. You could get a team that had say £200 worth of groceries but only picked the £25 one. The team who had £150 but had picked the £100 bonus would win, just by sheer luck.

But it was a fun show.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »

I have noticed that they do only pick a few things from 1 isle?
    :

Exactly, and washing powder and fabric softner (as examples) are different items yet they would never pick up both. Has anyone actually been on the show or knows someone who has? Ask them what the rules were please :D
  • Options
    Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it and it was fun
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What got me was the big inflatables they used to have dotted about the store. I think they were called a bouncy bonus, You were only allowed to pick one. The value of each was hidden, Dale used to peel off the sticker and reveal it when they were counting up each team's total. If I remember the values were £25, £50 and £100.There might have been a £75 one as well, I can't remember.

The point is that if the teams' totals were at all close, it just came down to who had been lucky enough to pick the highest value bouncy bonus. You could get a team that had say £200 worth of groceries but only picked the £25 one. The team who had £150 but had picked the £100 bonus would win, just by sheer luck.

But it was a fun show.:)

Yes the inflatables were funny and there was a £75 one btw. :D

You make a good point about how the big difference potentially in value of the inflatables made the whole thing a bit unfair really.

There were plenty of other ways to boost the price of the shop though;

Dale's shopping list
    Pick 'n Mix (to a specific weight)
    Find the tin with the matching team colour circle

and probably a couple of others I can't think of right now... :erm: ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John_Adam1 wrote: »
    Yes the inflatables were funny and there was a £75 one btw. :D

You make a good point about how the big difference potentially in value of the inflatables made the whole thing a bit unfair really.

There were plenty of other ways to boost the price of the shop though;

Dale's shopping list
    Pick 'n Mix (to a specific weight)
    Find the tin with the matching team colour circle

and probably a couple of others I can't think of right now... :erm: ??

They had to stack the tins.

Price the tins with those horrid guns.

And the sweets HAD to be 5 different types.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    from memory towards the end they had a bit too much additional bits to get from the sweep at the end to count towards extra funds, when really i used to like it when they trashed the aisles running around like loonatics with tins of beans flying all over the place

And if they did not pick them up they were penalised. I imagine that amount was deducted from their total bill.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Watched it....still watch it...appeared on it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Watched it....still watch it...appeared on it :D

Aha! Someone who can explain what the rules were please, and the reason why people picked up 2 items from an entire aisle before moving on...