Les Miserables

Comments

• MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen several productions of this musical in various countries and have to say I am not impressed with Hathaway's rendition of the Big Song...too over-wrought, too much sobbing and I only ever see that one publicity still of her in this and it is the one with her in mouth-wide-open mid-howl during the song. You guessed it, I am not a fan of the women herself and will need to brace myself for a couple of hours of close ups of her and her yawning-gape of a mouth. However, I am a fan of the musical and look forward to seeing it. I shall possibly take my loo-break when Anne's big heaving sob-song comes on....
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen several productions of this musical in various countries and have to say I am not impressed with Hathaway's rendition of the Big Song...too over-wrought, too much sobbing and I only ever see that one publicity still of her in this and it is the one with her in mouth-wide-open mid-howl during the song. You guessed it, I am not a fan of the women herself and will need to brace myself for a couple of hours of close ups of her and her yawning-gape of a mouth. However, I am a fan of the musical and look forward to seeing it. I shall possibly take my loo-break when Anne's big heaving sob-song comes on....

Well as you know, she isn't in it for long so you won't have to put up with her for hours.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You guessed it, I am not a fan of the women herself and will need to brace myself for a couple of hours of close ups of her and her yawning-gape of a mouth.

Unless they've radically changed the original, Fantine should hardly be in it.

I was amazed they got Patti LuPone for much a small part.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the Blu-Ray come out at the same time as the DVD or are they usually much later?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Unless they've radically changed the original, Fantine should hardly be in it.

I was amazed they got Patti LuPone for much a small part.

I have often wondered if anyone has ever been in two shows at once?

Dash on stage in the first act at Theatre A - Tra La La Argggggg! as they get shot!

Then dash around to Theatre B and a quick change for the late romantic character in another show.

They could cut costs in crowd scenes if one show needed a crowd at only the start and another wanted one later in the evening. Rent a crowd!

:D
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the Blu-Ray come out at the same time as the DVD or are they usually much later?

They normally come out at the same time.
    I hope for something special for the BD releases, and not one of these releases that are milked to death. Nice to have an indepth interviews with director and creative team and actor
    Etc and some docos about the singing aspect of the film :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They normally come out at the same time.
    I hope for something special for the BD releases, and not one of these releases that are milked to death. Nice to have an indepth interviews with director and creative team and actor
    Etc and some docos about the singing aspect of the film :)

Oh yes I want the 27 hour extended remix and extras, Lord of the Miserable version form the start.

Plus Naked Eddie shower scenes - I don't care if none were shot, go and get them now! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes I want the 27 hour extended remix and extras, Lord of the Miserable version form the start.

Plus Naked Eddie show scenes - I don't care if none were shot, go and get them now! :D

I think I fell in love with Samatha Berks in this, or did I just fall in love with her character??!! Her brow line was very realistic for that period !!!
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope there are a lot of extras AND the release(s) aren't milked (i.e. 6 months after first release, another DVD is released titled 'platinum edition' with tons of extras).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope there are a lot of extras AND the release(s) aren't milked (i.e. 6 months after first release, another DVD is released titled 'platinum edition' with tons of extras).
    :D:D
    Now you know that isn't going to happen.

First release, bog standard movie with a few bits that you can already see on You Tube.
    Second release: directors cut with extended interviews with cast and production.
    Just before Christmas: The Collectors' Edition.: 2 DVD set with deleted scenes, in depth making of the movie, interviews with everyone who Cameron Mackintosh thinks is relevant and a nice shiny libretto and stills.

It'll cost an arm and a leg, but Hey, it's just the thing to buy as a Christmas present, so spend the extra.

Cameron Mackintosh knows me too well. I'll buy the bloody lot :o:o
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :D:D
    Now you know that isn't going to happen.

First release, bog standard movie with a few bits that you can already see on You Tube.
    Second release: directors cut with extended interviews with cast and production.
    Just before Christmas: The Collectors' Edition.: 2 DVD set with deleted scenes, in depth making of the movie, interviews with everyone who Cameron Mackintosh thinks is relevant and a nice shiny libretto and stills.

It'll cost an arm and a leg, but Hey, it's just the thing to buy as a Christmas present, so spend the extra.

Cameron Mackintosh knows me too well. I'll buy the bloody lot :o:o

And it could come in a special box with a couple of tacky replica candlesticks...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »

Oh lawd, I'm tweeting links to that.

So so funny. :D:D Love the coughing ( just a tad that's needed)

She has a great voice if that's her actual singing!
    Matt D wrote: »
    And it could come in a special box with a couple of tacky replica candlesticks...

:D Great idea. I cant say I'll have the T shirt too because I already HAVE that. :o In fairness someone bought it for me, I don't buy rip offs like the mugs and clothing.

But I'll fork out on the programme which is just as bad. I only need a couple of new pages when I go.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    ImOnlyWee wrote: »

That's amazing, I think I might have woken up the neighbours laughing at "then they never did a wide shot" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly O/T.

For all the Eddie fans here: He dances too (or at least trying lol)! It's a Vanity Fair clip with him being hailed as the new Fred Astaire.

http://www.vanityfair.com/video/2013/01/eddie-redmayne--the-new-fred-astaire_2115001246001#page=1&plid=2068888465001

I'm frustrated that he was overlooked as best supporting actor but nevertheless, he seems to be getting a lot of attention. He is now showing up on showbiz blogs and he is a big hit on tumblr. I hope he is smart with his next few roles. I honestly think he could be very big depending on how he plays his cards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this in the cinema a couple of weeks ago and thought it was really good! Never watched a musical or anything, but it was enjoyable. Great performances from the actors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they wouldn't sod around with like three releases under two years, it's so pointless :(
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw it the other day.
    Is it just me, or was it a little understated and laid back. I need much stronger clues about the appropriate emotion I am meant to be feeling.
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone still having problems with the plot, there is a summary from a well adjusted Les Mis fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfJg_pCEKo

:D

hahahahah:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really hope it makes #1 for a month in the UK box office.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Les Mis is the only musical I really like and we go to see it regularly so looked forward to this..

Mrs Pep thought it was good but is such a fan of the stage show that the film never really stood a chance

For me you still can't beat seeing it at the theatre but it was still brilliant.

I always seem to have a soft spot for Eponine and never thought anybody would be able to better Lea Salonga who was everything Eponine should be. That was until Samantha Barks took on the role. I knew she would be good from seeing her in the 25th Anniversary Concert but she is absolutely awesome. By the far the best singer of all the leads in my opinion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »

Wow thanks for that.

I wonder if it's just a direct rip from the movie though?