Mariah Carey: Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Sadly the promo wasnt handled well. Maybe it stick around once she releases a new single...hopefully.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Yeah, only selling 70 isn't excusable when Memoirs was able to sell double.

Albums sell less now than they did in 2009. Plus she had a hit with obsessed and there was some hype for, the album. The me I am Mariah album era has been an utter shambles from the start, it took too long to record. She has no hit single. She hasn't promoted it. The singles have all failed to make an impact. There's no hype for this album. Only the hardcore lambs know or care about the album.

At this point in her career it really doesn't matter. She's had unparalleled success. She's in a good space in her personal life. She's moved into a different phase of her career now and I'm happy for her.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Albums sell less now than they did in 2009. Plus she had a hit with obsessed and there was some hype for, the album. The me I am Mariah album era has been an utter shambles from the start, it took too long to record. She has no hit single. She hasn't promoted it. The singles have all failed to make an impact. There's no hype for this album. Only the hardcore lambs know or care about the album.

At this point in her career it really doesn't matter. She's had unparalleled success. She's in a good space in her personal life. She's moved into a different phase of her career now and I'm happy for her.

Honey, I'm one of the biggest Mariah fans you will find. There's an oversized canvas on her right behind me on my wall, but I do not try and excuse the fact that she should be selling better. This album is one of her best reviewed in years, yet isn't selling half of what it should. It doesn't matter what this isn't 2009, she's Mariah Carey and she should be selling more than what she is on name alone.
  • TheBigBoyTheBigBoy Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I have just bought my copy from Sainsburys in Halifax, I was lucky because there was only one copy left
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No hit single has harmed the album. You need a fresh hit single to make people think "ooh i like it, she has an album out now, i'll give it a go. Beautiful came out ages ago so it is not fresh in people's minds

Plus there was no major hype or lead up to the album. It was continuously delayed. Then only a month ago, we got confirmation the album was coming out. So it's actual release was a bit left field. It's not like it was announced a few months ago, to allow hype and interest to be slowly developed.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    i think that it really is a great album that showcases her voice so well... her voice sounds fresh, the songs are great with a good balance of sassy/edge and sparkle MC. Much better the 'imperfect angel' ... i think it is that album that has harmed the sales of this album... people are a little more cautious ... she needs a showcase single .... and to tour!!!
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped caring too much about my favourite artists's album sales a long time ago, its just an immature and illogical way to look at music in my opinion.

All I wanted from Mariah was an album that had amazing vocals, rich melodies and meaningful lyrics. She delivered on every one of those points and then some! Especially the vocals, which I think are her best since 2005. So on that count, I am very pleased with this album.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbax wrote: »
    I stopped caring too much about my favourite artists's album sales a long time ago, its just an immature and illogical way to look at music in my opinion.

All I wanted from Mariah was an album that had amazing vocals, rich melodies and meaningful lyrics. She delivered on every one of those points and then some! Especially the vocals, which I think are her best since 2005. So on that count, I am very pleased with this album.

I don't care about sales either but i am looking at it from a different perspective. I would appreciate it if you didn't label me or anyone else immature or illogical, thank you very much. >:(
    Forum Member
    When I was in Sainsburys today I was talking to a woman that works their she's was saying to me that they were selling loads of copy's of the new Mariah album which is great
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care about sales either but i am looking at it from a different perspective. I would appreciate it if you didn't label me or anyone else immature or illogical, thank you very much. >:(
    Why are you offended by my post? I didn't mention you at all and was not referring to you in any way.

I was talking generally because in the past I used to get caught up in sales and it would drive me mental. I'm sorry if it looked like it was directed at you, it really wasn't!
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even think Mariah really cares that much about sales. Certainly not single sales, she's already said this isn't a single-driven album. After 18 #1 singles, more than any other solo artist in history, why should she care? Obviously artists create albums to sell and make money, but Mariah is wadded and this album genuinely feels to me that she's had a great, inspirational time making it, and has done so because she loves making music. Not to make some chart records.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I don't even think Mariah really cares that much about sales. Certainly not single sales, she's already said this isn't a single-driven album. After 18 #1 singles, more than any other solo artist in history, why should she care? Obviously artists create albums to sell and make money, but Mariah is wadded and this album genuinely feels to me that she's had a great, inspirational time making it, and has done so because she loves making music. Not to make some chart records.
    Exactly. Mariah is at the stage in her career where her legendary status is totally cemented and finite. Look at Aretha Franklin, she hasn't had a hit album since the 80s and had a huge patch from the late 70s to late 80s where she was flopping extremely hard, yet she is known the world over a legend because she already cemented it.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is defo one of my fave albums from her. Haven't stopped playing it.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite songs on the album are definitely Cry, Thirsty, Make It Look Good, Meteorite and The Art Of Letting Go. I can't stop listening to them. I think You're Mine (Eternal) and Camouflage are quite a nice ballads as is Beautiful. I would've liked You Don't Know What To Do if it wasn't for the awful rapping by Wale, that spoils it for me. As for Faded, Dedicated, Supernatural and Heavenly, I think they're "ok" but I find them a little boring on the whole. Not keen at all on Money and I love George Michael's original of One More Try so much that Mariah's version just can't compare for me. She doesn't sing the song with anywhere near as much passion as George does, but just my opinion!

I bought the standard version of the album, rather than the deluxe, as I'm not bothered about the new recordings of It's A Wrap and Betcha Gon Know (I love her originals of those plenty enough) and I'd already bought The Art Of Letting Go as a single. I've added that one to the album, of course, as I adore that song. I've also added Almost Home and the solo version of Triumphant to the album on my mp3 player as I love those songs and feel they fit well with all the other tracks. :)
  • SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    My favourite songs on the album are definitely Cry, Thirsty, Make It Look Good, Meteorite and The Art Of Letting Go. I can't stop listening to them. I think You're Mine (Eternal) and Camouflage are quite a nice ballads as is Beautiful. I would've liked You Don't Know What To Do if it wasn't for the awful rapping by Wale, that spoils it for me. As for Faded, Dedicated, Supernatural and Heavenly, I think they're "ok" but I find them a little boring on the whole. Not keen at all on Money and I love George Michael's original of One More Try so much that Mariah's version just can't compare for me. She doesn't sing the song with anywhere near as much passion as George does, but just my opinion!

I bought the standard version of the album, rather than the deluxe, as I'm not bothered about the new recordings of It's A Wrap and Betcha Gon Know (I love her originals of those plenty enough) and I'd already bought The Art Of Letting Go as a single. I've added that one to the album, of course, as I adore that song. I've also added Almost Home and the solo version of Triumphant to the album on my mp3 player as I love those songs and feel they fit well with all the other tracks. :)

I've done a similar thing and added the extra songs to the end so that I have the Spanglish remix of Beautiful and the remix of You're Mine as part of the album as I feel that they fit together perfectly with the other songs.

I really love this album, I personally think it is her best since Butterfly. It comes across with the same love and personalisation that that album did. I find myself not skipping any of the songs and enjoy each of them as part of the body of work, which i think was her intent when she released it.

I don't care how many copies it sells, or what number it reaches in the charts, my love for Mariah's music goes beyond the numbers. She simply reaches me and lifts me in a way that no other artist has ever managed to do. And that is what makes her the best IMO, not how many copies she has sold.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last Mariah album I bought was Butterfly back in 97, but there seems to be a bit of a buzz about this album so I've checked out a few tracks on YouTube. Meteorite is a damn good tune!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I've not managed to buy this yet, but i've been listening on Spotify and i'm really impressed. I really loved E=MC2 due to a few amazing songs (Migrate, Side Effects etc) but I think this is her best album since Butterfly in the fact it sounds like a proper Mariah album... I hope that makes sence! :D

The Art of Letting Go is fantastic and it's a shame it was relegated to the deluxe. I love 'You Don't Know What to Do' too.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fantastic!
    Forum Member
    Mariah's new album is number 14 in the UK album charts and number 15 on the digital album charts.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She needs to get her face out the doritos, her airbrushed backside off the couch and do some proper promotion!....and I'm a HUGE Stan but she can't just release an album and expect success she's not the household name she used to be....and like others have said her behaviour is getting very annoying and she puts people off her from her own doing
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good position considering lack of promo.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    A good position considering lack of promo.

Sorry, but for someone supposedly as big as Mariah Carey that is a pretty poor position, and lack of promo is no excuse.

In the past few weeks, with even less promotion, Indie Rock band Eels got to number 7 and Paul Heaton and Jaquie Abbot (formally Beautiful South) have got to number 3, and still beat Mariah in the charts in their 2nd week.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but for someone supposedly as big as Mariah Carey that is a pretty poor position, and lack of promo is no excuse.

In the past few weeks, with even less promotion, Indie Rock band Eels got to number 7 and Paul Heaton and Jaquie Abbot (formally Beautiful South) have got to number 3, and still beat Mariah in the charts in their 2nd week.

I wouldn't have said she was a big name anymore though tbh, her name is known and people have heard of her but I doubt most younger people would be able to point her out, her fanbase has gotten older and moved on.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    I wouldn't have said she was a big name anymore though tbh, her name is known and people have heard of her but I doubt most younger people would be able to point her out, her fanbase has gotten older and moved on.

I think that says quite a bit about how fickle pop fans are.

She was beaten by an artist who was fairly big in the 80's with The Housemartins and 90's with The Beutiful South (inc Jacqui Abbott) and an Indie band who had minor success in the mid 90's

By your own argument the fan base for both these acts have also gotten older and should have moved on, but they haven't.

Not saying that overall record sales will be better for the artists I have mentioned, infact they probably wont, but number 14 must still be a bit of a disapointment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that I've had a week for this to settle in my mind, I can honestly say that this is one of her all time great albums!
    For me it goes -

Best Songs-
    Make it look good
    Try
    Heavenly
    You Don't Know What To Do
    Meteorite

Honourable Mentions-
    You're Mine
    Cry
    Dedicated
    Faded
    Camouflage

"Thirsty" however is a mess, its honestly on par with "Boy (I Need You)"!

Regarding the chart position, as I said before Im not paying attention to that. Its not great, but theres no point in getting down about something I can't control.

I also think that the fact it has not been in stock all over the country is a huge contributing factor. I still can't find a single copy in glasgow a week on!