Options

Shobna Gulati: I'm leaving Britain because no one's given me a lead part on UK TV

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If everyone is supposed to be colour blind now when it comes to race, would it matter if there were no black actors on TV?

Then TV would not be representative of society would it ? Would it matter if there were no smokers, no-one who liked a drink, no-one who ever swore, no gay characters ? Viewers would say it just wasn't realistic. I think in that sense EastEnders is far more representative than Coronation Street which still lives in a bit of a 1960s time warp.Lenny Henry is working closely with the BBC on diversity issues - his view is you don't cast actors because they're black, you cast them for the part (and obviously their acting ability as well).
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soleil wrote: »
    She tends to come across on screen as very simpering, with very little screen presence. Hardly the makings of a lead character, unless that calls for a very simpering role, with very little screen presence. :p

Her part in 'In The Club' you sum up nicely there. No need for her to be in the show really. Although for the part she plays in that show, she may have been rehearsing in Derby Boots from what another poster says! :D

Maybe people should post about her on the 'not nice celebrities' thread!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she honestly thinks she will have more luck in America at her age and given her ethnicity, she's a little delusional. Perhaps she's not as talented as she thinks she is, perhaps she should put her money where her mouth is and produce a project for herself, perhaps she should realise she's not Helen Mirren or Jessica Brown Findlay, perhaps she should realise Adele Da Silva who is much younger and more attractive, as well as Roxanne Pallett, both thought they'd get top roles in Hollywood and ended up doing cheap horror B movies before having to come back home. Nikki Sanderson left Corrie and went to Hollywood, same deal, horror B movies, came back to do soaps. They were all much younger and potentially better long term investments seeing as how Jessica Alba and Megan Foxx both have got fairly steady work based more on their looks than talent. Even Halle Berry has been reduced to doing TV work despite having an Oscar on her resume. She's not Meryl Streep by any stretch of the imagination. As for being discriminated against, The Indian Doctor was a BBC period drama, The Kumars at Number 42 and Goodness Gracious Me were successful... Sanjeev Baskhar has proven his talents in both drama and comedy, he's also wrote for himself, as has Meera Syal. Both are all round talents. I don't see or hear them complaining because real talent speaks for itself and they've received awards and honors for their work.

She will go, she will fail. If even Game Of Thrones, which films mostly in Europe, won't throw her a role then there is no chance Hollywood will.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Wasn't there a showbiz saying ''Don't work with children, animals or Denholm Elliott because they will steal every scene'' ? Certainly true in his case.

I believe the quote comes from Gabriel Byrne, who starred in the 1985 film Defence of the Realm and was passed over for the Best Actor in a Leading Role BAFTA, but the Supporting Actor BAFTA went to Denholm Elliott, hence Byrne's comment.
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    There are only a finite number of leading roles for actors.

There are many more actors than leading roles available.

Therefore many, many actors will never get leading roles. Simple.

And that is that.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    I've never liked Shobna Gulati, she takes herself oh-so-seriously and has always come across as an arrogant naricissist.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Shobna, but the reason you can't find work has nothing whatsoever to do with your skin colour. You are a terrible, terrible actress.

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks that - she's the very definition of 'if she was chocolate she'd eat herself'.

I recall her once talking about her stint in Paris working as a model, I waited patiently for the punchline but it never came.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are only a finite number of leading roles for actors.

There are many more actors than leading roles available.

Therefore many, many actors will never get leading roles. Simple.

And that is that.

I'd say you sum it up rather well. Sadly, Matthew Wright didn't have the guts to say it to her face.
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Leading roles are one of those things that are, if you are super lucky enough to get one, a privilege.

Certainly not a right.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    I take it Loose Women have given her the push then? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She needs to get the chip of her shoulder. I remember her complaining she got picked on at Manchester airport to get frisked because she is not white. Got news for you dear I'm Celtic pale, an OAP and get frisked every BL**dy time. More a case of "Don't you know who I am" Methinks. I worked with a very academic British Asian girl who got where she got by being good at her job,very bright and charming and claimed never to have experienced racism. I suspect she was very lucky but a positive outlook an lack of sloping shoulder made her a sure bet for success. It's very important that non white Brits are seen in all occupations and refect the population. There should always be non white police,teachersetc sect in evidence and roles on TV and cinema should reflect today's society. When my son graduated , the majority of his fellow students were not white...the majority of successful scientists, computer scientists and matheticians in his year were British Asian and Black.
    Like others I suspect Shobna just isn't talented enough..she's no female Idris and her whining does not endear her to anyone. She comes across as a difficult character who wouldn't be easy to work ..true or not.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    Shobna made this shock revelation on yesterday's "Wright Stuff". She said, and I quote:

"I have to say I'm 48 years old and have I had a lead part in a drama yet on British television? No. With 25 years of being an actor, that's a long time. So I'm going to America."

Shobna thinks she's been discriminated against because of her colour (it was a discussion about ethnicity in TV).

Has she got a point? Or has she got some nerve to think she's entitled to a lead part on British TV? What do you think?

I personally am willing to bet there are more reasons to her wanting to move than she wants the public to know about....
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's not a very versatile actor and she's also not very attractive if I'm honest, which is why I think she'll never be given a lead. Is this right?

If she can't act the part, then yes. If it's her looks then, no. I think that is the way that the industry she's in works though, unfortunately.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally am willing to bet there are more reasons to her wanting to move than she wants the public to know about....

Do tell...
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she had a point. An average minority actor can go to the US and land a co-lead staring role, yet must be of exceptional calibre to even get a look-in in Britain.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I think she had a point. An average minority actor can go to the US and land a co-lead staring role, yet must be of exceptional calibre to even get a look-in in Britain.

Everyone's dream must surely be to feature in a 'movie' shown 15 times a week on True Movies!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i think its more due to the fact that she is a crap actor

She's not crtap. She's just not leading actor material.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archie Punjabi and Parminder Nagra are not to be ignored but the reality is they are talented actresses. Shobna Gulati is the sweat in their footwear in terms of talent. In blunt terms, she couldn't fill their shoes.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archie Punjabi and Parminder Nagra are not to be ignored but the reality is they are talented actresses. Shobna Gulati is the sweat in their footwear in terms of talent. In blunt terms, she couldn't fill their shoes.

I've never heard of any of these people, and as for racism, my father once didn't give a black person a job after interviewing her and she stood up and shouted that he didn't give it to her because he was a racist, and he told her that her color was of no importance whatsoever but her lack of qualifications for the job was. If you haven't got it, going to a different country won't help.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    She's not a very versatile actor and she's also not very attractive if I'm honest, which is why I think she'll never be given a lead. Is this right?

If she can't act the part, then yes. If it's her looks then, no. I think that is the way that the industry she's in works though, unfortunately.

It's hard to make personal comments, but I tend to agree with this. I think she is more likely to be a supporting character actress than a lead. It shouldn't matter, but I suspect her given name doesn't help too much either. Shobna.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll be like these 'celebrities' who claim they will leave the UK if Labour/Tories/Lib Dems get in power but then never do.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She will be in Big Brother or the jungle in no time at all. Sad women.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's hot for 48. I can suggest the type of movie she could star in where she will be cast in the lead everytime.

Not so much Hedda Gablar, more Hedda Gobbler if you get my drift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll be like these 'celebrities' who claim they will leave the UK if Labour/Tories/Lib Dems get in power but then never do.

You're probably right. It's just hot air and attention seeking for a lot of them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    She will be in Big Brother or the jungle in no time at all. Sad women.

I'm sure if she does end up going to America and ultimately fails, no doubt she'll be back soon after signing up for all these 'quick cash' shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    She's hot for 48. I can suggest the type of movie she could star in where she will be cast in the lead everytime.

Not so much Hedda Gablar, more Hedda Gobbler if you get my drift.

Very funny!! :D