Downloaded programme: no tv, no tv licence?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I no longer have a television. My current tv licence ends next year. However, legally (as opposed to ethically) will I need a tv licence if I don't have a tv transmitter but download programmes from the internet such as from 4OD and BBCi?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just realised this has been posted on the wrong forum. Apologies all. :D
  • TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think you would still be required to have a valid license but I can't see how the tv licensing people would be able to enforce it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    If you are watching a live stream, that is, watching programmes at the time they are broadcast you require a licence even if you are watching on a computer..

However, if you are watching via an online catch up service, you will not require a licence.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, to confirm what "davidweller" has said, as things currently stand, so long as you didn't use the BBC3 or ITV.com live streaming pages, you would be in the clear, both ethically and legally.

If you only use 4OD, iPlayer and the catchup ITV and channel five services, you're fine.

K
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    So, to confirm what "davidweller" has said, as things currently stand, so long as you didn't use the BBC3 or ITV.com live streaming pages, you would be in the clear, both ethically and legally.

If you only use 4OD, iPlayer and the catchup ITV and channel five services, you're fine.

Legally yes, ethically you probably shouldn't watch the BBC stuff unless you've paid your subscription. The rest are pay as you shop channels, so fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You weren't very clear about the T.V. Licence or if one uses
    certain channels-possibly you don't etc! etc! My advice is to
    wait until you are 70 when the government gives a Licence !
    Then you can watch any channel you like--all stations etc;
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Justbcos wrote: »
    You weren't very clear about the T.V. Licence or if one uses
    certain channels-possibly you don't etc! etc! My advice is to
    wait until you are 70 when the government gives a Licence !
    Then you can watch any channel you like--all stations etc;

Actually it is 75 and they only need to be member of the household.

So, if you don't want to pay the tv licence, invite Granny to come live with you. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »

K

If you search the forum you'll find (at least) another thread on this subject which contains a link to a BBC site confirming the circumstances - as above - in which you don't need a licence for online viewing.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GTL wrote: »
    If you search the forum you'll find (at least) another thread on this subject which contains a link to a BBC site confirming the circumstances - as above - in which you don't need a licence for online viewing.

For online recorded viewing. You still need a licence to recieve live streaming. Best to make that clear.

Though I'm not sure what TVL would do about it: check your internet cache?
  • Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should also be pointed out that if one of TVL "heavies" turns upon your doorstep throwing their weight around telling you they want to enter your house to check your equipment then tell them to take a running jump unless they have a warrant.

PS TV detector vans were one big con, they were just a mock up to scare people into buying a licence.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Or, on the other hand, you could just let them confirm you don't have a TV and be done with it. Of course, it's what... five minutes of your life you won't get back, but I'd rather do that than be rude and obnoxious about it.

Each to their own, I guess.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Gareth56 wrote: »
    It should also be pointed out that if one of TVL "heavies" turns upon your doorstep throwing their weight around telling you they want to enter your house to check your equipment then tell them to take a running jump unless they have a warrant.

PS TV detector vans were one big con, they were just a mock up to scare people into buying a licence.

It should also be pointed out that this has been covered in many threads already without changing this one into yet another.
  • staple gunstaple gun Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or, on the other hand, you could just let them confirm you don't have a TV and be done with it. Of course, it's what... five minutes of your life you won't get back, but I'd rather do that than be rude and obnoxious about it.

I wouldn't really listen to Carl's advice,the best way to deal with the BBC/TVL (speaking with eleven years experience of not paying the BBC) is-
    Simply ignore TVL/BBC. Their letters are computer-generated and sent out by the hundred-thousand. The purpose of these "official warnings" and threats of "imminent legal action" is psychologial rather than actual. Once this is realised, the letters cease to have any effect or credibility.

The same applies to street visits. If someone called at your door and asked to see whether you had a washing-machine or a food-mixer, would you let them in? Of course not, so why permit TVL/BBC to look for a TV, video or DVD player? People who work for TVL/BBC have no more right to enter private residences than people selling dusters.

Remember,the above information is for people who use their TV,video,DVD player and computer for other means.
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SinSeer wrote: »
    I no longer have a television. My current tv licence ends next year. However, legally (as opposed to ethically) will I need a tv licence if I don't have a tv transmitter but download programmes from the internet such as from 4OD and BBCi?

As others have mentioned you do not need a tv licence for watching 'tv' on net catchup services. I would add that as your licence is valid until sometime next year you will be able to claim a refund of part of its cost. Write or e-mail TVL and they will arrange it.
  • pricesoutpricesout Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gareth56 wrote: »

Or, you could just write to them before hand, and be rid of all this nonsense and time-wasting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pricesout wrote: »
    Or, you could just write to them before hand, and be rid of all this nonsense and time-wasting

If the OP writes to them & gets a refund, that would count as notification & not be a waste of their time.

If they also point out that the BBC's super secret hi-tech detectors mean the 'situation' can be confirmed by using those, the OP's privacy won't need to be invaded.

The detection equipment means there is no need for them to enter & 'inspect' any equipment you may have.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    Far too sensible an approach for some :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legally yes, ethically you probably shouldn't watch the BBC stuff unless you've paid your subscription. The rest are pay as you shop channels, so fine.

You write a lot of good sense JE, but I have to disagree with you about the ethics of watching BBC tv on vod when you haven't bought a licence. Apart from the obviuos point that anyone wanting to watch any tv has to pay for the entire BBC domestic output of tv, radio and online, (so this is the other side of the coin) it should also be remembered that this method of funding is one the BBC itself favours, and how ! So the fact that BBC tv can legally be watched on the iPlayer, YT, Myspace etc is the very state of affairs they favour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    You write a lot of good sense JE, but I have to disagree with you about the ethics of watching BBC tv on vod when you haven't bought a licence.

That's the ethics thing. The licence is a BBC subscription & funds content. I've not paid for that content, so consider it unfair to consume it.

(well, the majority of it. I have watched a couple of Dr Who shows & use the BBC News website, but less frequently as there's less content & better sources)
    So the fact that BBC tv can legally be watched on the iPlayer, YT, Myspace etc is the very state of affairs they favour.

But that's really just using a convenient loophole that if abused, could lead to the BBC trying to close it.

'look, evaders are watching our stuff!, change the law now!'

Cue broadband tax.. which would increase the cost of broadband & increase the 'Digital Divide', precisely the opposite of what the BBC is meant to be doing.

But look on the bright side, the indies would probably use it to increase the amount they get from their streaming or download rights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But that's really just using a convenient loophole that if abused, could lead to the BBC trying to close it.

Thats the plan!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They should stop evaders watching their stuff.

Just as the gas or electricity companies should stop evaders.

And the IR should stop tax evaders
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should stop evaders watching their stuff.

They could do that by requiring registration & a valid TV licence before serving content. They chose not to.
    And the IR should stop tax evaders

But in the interests of efficiency & cost cutting, the IR has reduced the number of tax inspectors it has. Possibly on advice of the big accountancy firms it hires as consultants, and also offer tax minimisation strategies to it's wealthy clients. Funny that..
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member

Most people are not comfortable allowing people to enter their home like this. If a tv licence person came to my house I would be polite and sign any declarations etc, but I would not allow access to my house as I feel that is a step too far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could do that by requiring registration & a valid TV licence before serving content. They chose not to.

Costs would be higher. There is nothing wrong with relying on people's good will and decency to pay.
    It all boils down to : If you don't want or require the TVL, then don't get one

It isn't that difficult JE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Costs would be higher. There is nothing wrong with relying on people's good will and decency to pay.
    It all boils down to : If you don't want or require the TVL, then don't get one

It isn't that difficult JE

Tremendous stuff as always, 'if you don't want a TVL, don't get one':cool: - it would, after all be far easier just to do away with the TVL altogether and then the administration people of the TVL could be transfered/employed into chasing down income tax evaders and VAT evaders, which would make far more cash for the coffers of the treasury, who could then share £4Billion or more per year to all British Broadcasting Companies to carry out Public Service Broadcasting across multitudes of channels within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - and even spread the benefits of this broadcasting to not just UK dependencies/ or commonwealth countires, but to the rest of the worls as a whole:) - good times.