Worming advice

missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
Forum Member
Powder / tablets / over the counter or vet only???

I have a border collie and it's time to worm once more. In the past I have bought sachets from my lovely helpful pet shop, but a friend was horrified and said I need to go to the vet - on the dogs behalf obviously :o

Any recommendations?
I would welcome your wisdom people!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always get mine from the vets. The only times I've bought them from a pet shop or supermarket, my dog has been violently sick not long after. I can't remember the makes but probably Bob Martin or somesuch. For the sake of a couple of quid, I'd rather trust the vets one, and had no problems with that.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always buy Drontal Plus for mine. They arent expensive, even if bought from the vets. But i have found some chemists now stock them.

The last lot i bought online. I think 5 tablets cost me about £10 - so they arent dear, but very effective.

I wouldnt touch Bob Martin stuff with a 10 foot barge pole personally.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before I got my pups, my breeder used Drontal suspension so I continued with it and found the cheapest was where I get my big bags of Eukanuba from. They sell liquid and tablets so if you buy your food online it may be worth ordering some worming stuff at the same time:

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/erol.html#925X0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missmaisie wrote: »
    Powder / tablets / over the counter or vet only???

I have a border collie and it's time to worm once more. In the past I have bought sachets from my lovely helpful pet shop, but a friend was horrified and said I need to go to the vet - on the dogs behalf obviously :o

Any recommendations?
    I would welcome your wisdom people![/QUO

I use Drontal here:

http://www.bestpet.co.uk/search_results.asp?search_type=free_any&search=drontal&gclid=CO3az_Lti5kCFQMFZgodwAoSlw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I get tablets from the vet.
  • missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Thanks - Drontal is is then x

*missmaisie picks up bag and heads off to vets*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I agree with what has been said...Woming was becoming a bit of a nightmare. I was trying all brands from supermarkets etc and my dog was refusing to take them and once taking them being sick afterwards and they were doing no good at all.

Then I got told to use Drontal, which I can now buy in some chemists and it is fabulous, the dog takes them out of my hand without a second thought and no problems after what so ever.

Cost is very reasonable and I'm not sure I'd consider using anything else.:):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I always get mine from the vets as I use Milbemax - which can't be bought over the counter

That said - if shop bought wormers work for your dog, then I see no reason why you need to change.

You can buy Drontal at most Co-operative chemists - considerably cheaper than at the vets - I have found Drontal to be harsh on some of my dogs tummies, but then I know other breeders who swear by it and won't use anything else - as I said - it's what works for you
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are in a heartworm area and/or your dog eats slugs and snails, you need Drontil Plus or Milbemax from the vet.

Otherwise, non-prescription Drontil from Pets@home and various web sites should be fine.

I know Collies have issues with flea treatments (invomectin????) but I am unaware of any similar issue with wormers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    How odd - I've always had dogs, but my border collie was the only one who ever needed to be wormed. We always bought over the counter stuff for her, and it would work for three months or so. I never thought to take her to the vets for a prescription. The ones that she took most easily were meat flavoured ones (I think they may have been Pedigree Chum ones). She scoffed them like they were treats, so we had to make sure we put them away in a high cupboard she couldn't get to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Yes my dog used to love the Pedigree Chum ones, they were beef flavoured, quite large! a pack of two for about a fiver and seemed to work really well!

Then suddenly nothing, they stopped doing them, not sure why. A shame really.