Help to Stop Smoking

StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

I am hoping for some advice on stopping smoking.

My husband has smoked for 20 years but out of the blue this weekend he announced he has stopped. I am obviously pleased but as I have never smoked I just don't feel I am any help at all to him.

He doesn't want any nicotine replacements but when we have looked into stuff to help him it all seems to have nicotine in it!

Also his chest is really 'itchy' and that is bothering him alot.

Can anyone give us any advice/tips?

Comments

• RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's incredibly hard for a lot of people to stop smoking - I've been trying for about five years now.

But some people just STOP. Good for them.

Going cold turkey is hard, but nicotine leaves the body and craving stops after two weeks. During those two weeks I would just be tolerant, he might be snappy. You could suggest things to do if he is restless, and don't worry if he hits the mints or the biscuits a bit. Encourage him to drink lots of water if you can.

After the two weeks it's the reward system in place that is the hardest thing to combat. ( I have a terrible time coming home from work - I just want a cup of coffee and a cigarette, desperately). You could buy him some small treats, and be kind and extra affectionate at 'key' moments - or get some distractions - go for a walk after dinner, play Boggle or cards or something.

You could save the money he spends, take it off him and keep it in a jar and go out for a meal on it.

Bear with him even if he is really ratty and keep encouraging him. And forgive him if he slips - giving up is hard, but deciding and attempting is the first step.

Good for him, and I wish you and him all the best.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some great suggestions from Rhumba and well done to your hubby for quitting.:)

If he feels he wants to share how he feels there's a good site here
    www.click2quit.com
    with a REALLY supportive forum. I used it loads when I quit. They'll all be in the same boat as him and whatever symptoms or worries you have there will be someone with just the same.

If your hubby has been quit since the weekend he can now give himself a big pat on the back because they say that after 3 days all the nicotine has gone from your body. How brilliant is that?

If you see him getting a bit fed up or quiet, just remind him how proud you are of him and go and get some holiday brochures for you both to browse through. He will save so much money and even if you just manage a weekend away somewhere (or a day trip!) make it soon.:D
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you!

I am very proud of him. I know how hard it is to stop as my dad smoked all his life and never managed to give them up.

I will put what you suggest into practise. There are definately trigger times that he is finding hard to cope with. He associates coffee with smoking so we are trying to find an alternative he likes (he hates tea!).

I have shown him the website and he is looking at it now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great Starpuss, he is really lucky to have someone as supportive as you!::)

I found "coffee and a ****" one of the worst times. I started quitting in cold weather when you need hot drinks. I found some nice fruit sachets where you just add hot water. There were flavours like Raspberry & Elderflower, Pear & Guava and so on. In fact, they were so nice my DH was nicking them!!:D:D

But they did the trick and broke the "association" of coffee and smoke. After a month or so I went back on to coffee no probs.
  • gaz141gaz141 Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me too with the coffee **** association. i still think it comes down to the "do you really want to give up" question. Until the day I actually said yes to that and made a real effort, then it wasn't that bad. still love my coffee and could mug someone sometimes who is smoking a **** at the bus stop and blows smoke in my face, but hey i'm stronger than that, love the smell sometimes but don't want to go back there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been making him what I make when someone in our family has a cold. A sort of lemony, ginger, honey hot drink. He has been asking for them so I think they are helping.

We were out today and passed people smoking outside an office. My poor husband looked as if he wanted to cry. I am so proud of him being strong though.

He says the worst thing is the tickling sensation in his chest. That he knows if he smokes it will go away. I am hoping that will pass soon.
  • User name not foundUser name not found Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a wall chart calendar, something like this, place it somewhere very obvious ;)

Put the cigarette money into a jar but enter the amount on the chart, totalling the amount as you go, once the amount becomes obvious, that in it’s self should be an encouragement, also, plan / book a weekend away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aniseed balls saved me, someone suggested it to me on a thread I made on here when I quit!

Keeps your mouth busy, and if you had a **** after that strong taste, it would taste vile and completely put you off!

I do think I may have a minor addiction to aniseed balls now though :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this website particulary the library part really good www.whyquit.com but the forum is useful - there is loads of information on there and I found once I understood why I was feeling the way I was it really helped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this website particulary the library part really good www.whyquit.com but the forum is useful - there is loads of information on there and I found once I understood why I was feeling the way I was it really helped.

I'd second this, this was another one I used.
    I also got a SilkQuit meter on my laptop, which loaded up every time I switched on and told me how many days/mins/hours I'd quit for, and how much money I had saved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon the tickling in his chest must be his lungs getting back to normal. Its probably years since they were this clean!;)

I know exactly what you mean about him looking as if he might cry. I've been there countless times:cry:, but it's always possible to turn it round to something positive. I used to look at smokers standing outside and think "wow I can sit in here and actually relax". I also used to recall how stressed I'd be at functions or meetings when I was counting off the minutes to run outside and light up.

Buy him some small thing at the end of his first week smoke-free. Even if its just a CD or a magazine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i gave up 2 years ago i smoked bout 20/30 a day for about 15 yrs the only time i didnt have one was for one day! MOSTly smoked cause iwas bored especially at work, then i decide to give up and asked myself did i really enjoy smoking and the honest answer was no! so i used patches for a couple of months and havnt had a **** since! ive gone anti smoker which is a bit bizzarre, i hate the smelly its wrank! from time to time it pops into my head that i could just have a **** and then its gone i dont think i could ever start again and be a slave to the cigs id be gutted if i did !
    as i said patches helped me and also i brought a couple of bags of mint imperials which i placed in bowls and when i wanted or thought about having a **** while giving up i had a mint instead, it gives u something to do and occupy yr mind.
    a big part of wanting to stop smoking is that u truely have to want to give up and if thats the case then its much easier.
    put it this way youve got nothing to loose by giving up and everything to gain, saves you money and benefits your health and you dont stink of cigs either!
    yr husbands doing well and i hope he suceeds in being a non smoker i wish him luck, it aint easy but it can be done!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thnk you everyone for your support and suggestions. I am passing them both on to him.

The aniseed balls/mint imperials idea is a great one. I will buy some for him.

Hotgossip: I reackon you are right about the tickling being his lungs getting back to normal. I think it is a possitive thing but of course he isn't so cheerful about it!

This is day 5. Fingers still crossed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any time he may weaken remind him that all the nicotine has now left his body so there is no nicotine left it's just the mind telling him now!