The Birmingham Thread

Comments

• Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spent a lot of time in Birmingham in the mid 90s and got a real fondness for it.

A million 'morning after the night before' breakfasts in Mr Egg or the Selly Sausage :o
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Birmingham.

I live in a town quite close to it :p
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh. I used to love going to the library to study............it was such a fascinating place with a real atmosphere, unlike many of the souless palces today. Was there one afternoon when there was a thunderstorm; it went very, very dark, and you could see the lightening flashing around the dome!:D
    Sounds amazing :o
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone go to watch the Birmingham superprix?

I have been to Villa Park on several occasions
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    When did the 'maglev' link stop, and I wonder why such a clever technology was discontinued. I'm sure it was still there recently, but not in use. I'd love to know why.

It's still in use but not sure what the technology behind it is. It's brilliant though, even if the music they play does get slightly annoying!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    It's still in use but not sure what the technology behind it is. It's brilliant though, even if the music they play does get slightly annoying!

Cable pull technology now I'm afraid, very boring.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a video from Birmingham city centre in 1964.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFGLNvBMmBo

The old Bullring was an eyesore. Thankfully they knocked it down and the city centre is much improved since then.

I hate the new Bullring , looks like a giant piece of bubblewrap painted silver .
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I have been to Villa Park on several occasions

My heart goes out to you, what an ordeal that must have been.:D
  • QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    I hate the new Bullring , looks like a giant piece of bubblewrap painted silver .

That's not the Bull Ring, that's Selfridges, which is just one shop!
    The new Bull Ring is a lovely shopping centre and much better than the old 1960's one.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know why the road opposite St Andrews stadium has been closed?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quofan wrote: »
    That's not the Bull Ring, that's Selfridges, which is just one shop!
    The new Bull Ring is a lovely shopping centre and much better than the old 1960's one.

the bubblewrap covers more than Selfridges , besides its so massive it dominates the whole site .
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    Anyone cycled down the new 'Cole Valley Cycle Route'?
  • ZiQiZiQi Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    BBC Midlands Today will be recording again at Walkers Heath Park on Weds 5 June between 11:00 and 11:30.

Walkers Heath Park is one of the five pilot Active Parks.

They will be recording one of the many free activities provided in the park.

If you are local and enjoy tennis, please come down and give your support. Meeting at the courts.

Previous Midlands Today recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klnmnS4Xs50
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in Brum for the first time in over a year last week and I kept getting lost in the train station!
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Heres the link: Savalas does Birmingham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZ1xn2ml10

Classic!!:D
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spent a lot of time in Birmingham in the mid 90s and got a real fondness for it.

A million 'morning after the night before' breakfasts in Mr Egg or the Selly Sausage :o

Ha! That's a blast from the past . . "Eat like a king for £1" :D
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Selly Sausage is still here. I now live about half a mile from there.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in Brum for the first time in over a year last week and I kept getting lost in the train station!
    I arrived at the new New Street station last month and I had no idea that was gonna happen, I thought I was dreaming! I was soooo confused. But, hats off to them for expanding it nicely, it was desperately needed.
    Forum Member
    Please show your support for Active Parks and get to Walkers Heath Park (Kings Norton / Druids Heath) by 11:00 today and get yourself on BBC Midlands Today too!
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I arrived at the new New Street station last month and I had no idea that was gonna happen, I thought I was dreaming! I was soooo confused. But, hats off to them for expanding it nicely, it was desperately needed.

I think my friends had mentioned it so I had a rough idea but it was still confusing.

As you say though, it was badly needed.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brum really is getting it's act together and getting ready for a bright future - New Street development, the airport runway extension, HS2 on it's way, changes to the NEC & NIA, expansion of the Mail Box. I love some of the radical architecture - Selfridges & The Cube stand out. As an adopted Silhillian I love the area. It's been 10 years this summer since I moved to the area and have no regrets.

My father-in-law is Brum born and bred and was in the music scene in the late 60's and early 70's. He and his mates used to go to all the gigs and hang out with some of the bands. One of his (girl) friends turned Mick Jagger down one night after a gig! They have some great stories although I'm convinced they're all true!
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a proud Mancunian, I have found Birmingham centre to be a place of massive win each time I have been through.

That is all.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    Those of you who endured Birmingham in the 80s/90s, what was it like then? (of course, that was a 'bit before my time' ;))
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Those of you who endured Birmingham in the 80s/90s, what was it like then? (of course, that was a 'bit before my time' ;))

Loved it, but then, didn't know anything else.