Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    it was scary i thought :D
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it.
    the family with the whistling dad who got shot were freaky.

When "tip toe through the tulips" was playing was there a shaopw dancing?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the first half, didn't really like the odd sort of tangent it went off in the final third.
  • BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this film is average at best, can't see how it can be the most profitable film of 2010 (according to wiki).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barbra wrote: »
    I think this film is average at best, can't see how it can be the most profitable film of 2010 (according to wiki).

Quite easy - It only cost $1.5 million to make and took $97,009,150 at the box office worldwide. It's profit margin in the US alone was 3601%

http://dkfwriting.wordpress.com/tag/insidious/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Barbra wrote: »

Based on cost-to-gross which is a good measurement of profitability, so $1.5 million budget to $99 million box office gross is near equivalent to a film that could have had a budget of $99 million and grossed $1 billion, which no film did in 2010.

Although Toy Story 3 and Alice in wonderland grossed $1 billion they had a enormous budget of $200,000,000.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really liked the first half of this film. the director knows how to build tension, i jumped quite a few times. the conjuring was the same AND don't forget he made the first saw which was a brilliant film.

shame it goes all jokey in the second half. the ghostbuster in the specs (also the man NOT cary elwes in saw) is the writer yeah..?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Quite easy - It only cost $1.5 million to make and took $97,009,150 at the box office worldwide. It's profit margin in the US alone was 3601%

http://dkfwriting.wordpress.com/tag/insidious/

1.5 million? Does that include the pay for Rose Byrne, Patrick Wilson and Barbra Hershey? They must have worked for next to nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    1.5 million? Does that include the pay for Rose Byrne, Patrick Wilson and Barbra Hershey? They must have worked for next to nothing.

yep, total production budget, it won't include promotional costs, but for this film they would not have been high.

I wouldn't know about what sort of deal the actors got, but it may be they were on a contract whereby they got a % of any profits on top of a flat fee.

I think even given my mixed feelings about the second half of the film, it has to be said when you consider the film was made for around the same as a 45 minutes of a show like Doctor Who (which costs around a million pounds per episode) you have to say they did a good job really.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night. What a pile of wank!

I can't believe that some people are saying it's one of the scariest and best horrors of recent times. (ok, maybe I can because recent horrors have all been a bit shit).

It had a few of the usual 'scares' which I would compare as the equivalent of a cat jumping into shot. That was it.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    I find it depressing that people are using such derogatory terms for this movie. I happen to love it, but I rarely think any movie is w@nk or drivel. It's like the people making these off the cuff comments aren't investing any effort and / or intelligence into a movie and therefore it's rubbish.

But love it or hate it, Insidious is NOT a w@nk movie (or any of the other ridiculous comments on here).

What's far more offensive are the comments made on here.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utterly abysmal film. Comes across as a low budget episode of 'Supernatural'. Or, to be fair, comes across more as the director took inspiration from early episode of Star Trek with their polystyrene sets and channelled that spirit of low budget film-making into this pile of dross.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes Insidious different from most horror films is the jump scares.

All other horror films use the clichéd hand on shoulder, cat jumping, shadow in foreground movin across the screen etc'.

The jump scares in Insidious were all real. As in, they were all the actual demons, ghosts etc', and not fake jump scares.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Just saw the sequel earlier tonight as part of a double bill with the first film and surprisingly really enjoyed it. It was actually quite clever, I really liked how it tied into the first film. And thankfully they've left Darth Maul on the scrap heap for this one. Quite a few effective scares and a really good tense atmosphere. If you liked the first one or The Conjuring then you'll like Insidious: Chapter 2 ( I enjoyed this more than The Conjuring, partly due to the fact that this doesn't treat the audience like gullible idiots while attempting to pass itself off as a "true story"...).
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    What makes Insidious different from most horror films is the jump scares.

All other horror films use the clichéd hand on shoulder, cat jumping, shadow in foreground movin across the screen etc'.

The jump scares in Insidious were all real. As in, they were all the actual demons, ghosts etc', and not fake jump scares.

But they're still jump scares, which is one of the most hackneyed, overused and over-obvious ways to provoke fright in an audience.

Give me a growing sense of unease and creeping dread a la The Orphanage or Ringu any day - mood and sustained ambience is much harder to achieve and much more impressive when it works...